Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrinkly Grey Balls:

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Every season we get the ski mags with reams of pages describing how this years skis etc. are the dog's danglers ... but how much better are they than the skis that were being lovingly tongue washed a couple of years ago?

Ignoring the servicing and maintenance issues involved in buying 2nd user skis (they can be addresed), Just how much real improvement is there year on year that the average competent skier will be able to access that makes buying new the best option?

Maybe the Bells can offer a small insight into this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, Sorry I'm not one of the Bells, but as I've never bought current model skis I feel I'm qualified to comment. snowHead

The short answer is 'none whatsoever'. If the ski is properly serviced you'll enjoy skiing on it regardless how old it is.

There is a benefit when some real change is forced on the manufacturers - e.g. shaped and carving skis, but even then, you are probably better off waiting a couple of years until the bugs have been sorted out. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There isn't a massive shift each year in ski design and manufacture. Often skis just have their graphics renewed and off they go again. There are certain years that there can be a paradigm shift, for instance, when skis similar to Zags or Metrons come out. They may have been made before but with modern techniques they become more popular and more ski brands will try and copy these designs or shifts. Spatulas are another good example of this, I'm not saying we'll see more anti-sidecut skis but at least two other manufacturers are now making these skis.

So year-on-year, no it's not worth changing your skis to keep up with the fashions.

Technology means that things will get cheaper, titanium may become more popular for it's strength vs weight advantage, but on snow many skiers may not be able to tell the difference between this and aluminium, for example.

Until ski manufacturers (or other scientists, NASA maybe) can invent a foam core that can hold it's properties for many years, skis will need to be replaced from time-to-time and probably before they've actually been skied out. It's sad to say that skis will not last forever, I know there are lots of old skis out there still running fine - this is mainly due to their fantastic construction. Modern wider skis have had to expand on the core building techniques, a wooden cored ski (my preferred core) will die before the rest of the ski dies, even if the ski is lightly skied. I would destroy many light skis in a winter season. For me a tough, well built ski with cap construction would last two seasons, tops. Afterward the cores are shot, the skis loose most of their camber and no longer rebound the way they used to. Sad Even if you're not an aggressive skier the wood is bent into an unnatural position and just having them in the loft means they are slowly dying. Evil or Very Mad And foam cores? Some skis you can feel them breaking with every turn. Sad

I've bought 2nd user skis before. I know what to look for when squeezing a ski, if I can press a brand new original then even better as it will give you a good idea as to the condition of the ski. If you can see what, where, who etc the ski has been skied then no problem in buying it. Whether long term it's the better option or not, I'm not sure.

So, buying new might be best in terms of them lasting a winter or two longer, possibly. And them being this years colours. I suggest it comes down to: condition of equipment Vs cost, if the ratio is right then yes ,buy away...

This does raise the question is a two weeker worth buying their own skis??? Again. Yes but make sure they fat Wink Laughing Not really. NehNeh

Hope this came close to answering the question. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

This does raise the question is a two weeker worth buying their own skis??? Again. Yes but make sure they fat

parlor, Had I been thin, then I would still have bought them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, 'the average competent skier' is rather disingenuous for it ignores

- varied goals among various skiers. GS racers would not see any real technology improvement in the new versatile all-mountain carvers or cross skis or park skis, and why should they?

- changing goals by the same skier. parlor knows what his goals are and they're fairly consistent year-to-year, fine, very good, skis may as well be a commodity at that stage. Nothing guarantees that consistency for an 'average competent' snowHead and even a week of lessons can change all of it.

parlor rightly points out that technology itself doesn't change that fast. What does change is the industry perception of 'average competent skier's goals and their response to that perception.

The next logical question is: how fast can the industry correct a mis-perception?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:

The next logical question is: how fast can the industry correct a mis-perception?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
A whole new bucket of worms!

My reasoning for this thread was after seeing an eBay ad for some skis that'd been recommended to me a couple of years ago, I did a bit of forward forensics via reviews through to today's incarnation.

Assuming the older ski has had as little use and a subjective viewpoints of the testers, is there going to be that much difference in the perceived performance between today's model and its older brother.

Major shape and construction development changes are excepted but I do get a sense of hyperbolic nuancing in the technical justification of why new tech. is better than old tech. in the linear development of a ski.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Q. Was the old VW Golf a better car than today's VW Golf?
A. Yes Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
Q. Was the old VW Golf a better car than today's VW Golf?
A. Yes Very Happy

Agreed....but not as safe ! Anyone want to but a one family owned 1983 GLI convertible with a genuine 60000 miles? Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, are you sure you want to place a convertible for sale advert in a thread with this title?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Golf's edges have worn out. Can I replace them? Will Kwik-Fit be capable? I mean, you can't get better...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, No.... but many people seem attracted to reading it 'cos of the title wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, which is what I was trying to say. There are certain older skis that I would love to own, regardless of age, Rossignol Axiom (o not u) certain Volkl Explosives & Volkl Snow Rangers. I'd ski them too, I don't just want to own them for the sake of owning them.

I have no trouble with 2nd (or even 3rd) user skis, even if they are quite old. As long as you can test (either in hand or on snow) first. I would never buy (OK maybe for the right price) a 2nd hand ski without having seen it and held it.

Goodness, that was much quicker than my first post. Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans, i'm sure i came across one of those on ebay yesterday, stunning looking car for its age..........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, So is mine ... only gets driven to the VW garage and back. I must bring it back to the UK one day. No rust as it has been down here in SoF for about 18 years Embarassed but I don't really expect that I'll sell it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tip for buying skis - spend a season testing the latest skis, find one pair you like then buy them at a discount when they bring out the new model / colour. Try fat, thin, long, short, stiff, soft, loads / little sidecut and everywhere inbetween.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy