Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I admit it...I'm feeling a tad nervous!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Saas Fee next week for a week of race training with JJC.

Their usual clients are Eurotest trainees and serious racers.
That week they run a group that is not at that level.....and in my case I really an NOT at that level!

Very keen skier, but early 50's and though fit when measured against most of my contemporaries, I am not FIT.
Going on my own, the only other person I knew who was going has dropped out.

I like gates, they are uncompromising and force you to ski their line, and to a large degree they force you to ski at their pace (to get the rhythm).
Doing that can really sharpen up one's skiing.

It's not like me to be nervous...but I am!

On the other hand in 2016 I will be going to the Inter Livery Ski Championships...and I fully intend to win my class, and for our team to win overall.

Time to MTFU....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, you'll love it, I'm sure. Nerves will disappear when you're first in the start gate. They'll be replaced by fear, of course, but you won't be feeling nervous wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm nervous as well! See you there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure you'll have a great time! Enjoy the fear and the feeling of doing it anyway.
A
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have fun, I am sure they will start you off in carrot courses and maybe stubbies before moving to full gates. Top tip : if you don't have padding, avoid hitting gates, better to take a slightly wider line rather than getting whacked constantly by the poles...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rungsp, hope you have a good time - keep us all updated on how the week pans out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rungsp, awesome! Let us know how you get on. If I can get my knee and fitness levels back to where they were 4/5 years ago (pre-injury) it's exactly what I'd like to do and I'm only a few years younger than you. Do you look good in a catsuit?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Top tip : if you don't have padding, avoid hitting gates, better to take a slightly wider line rather than getting whacked constantly by the poles...

THIS!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Raceplate, catsuit??

That would be a sight...one the world will be spared.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Touchguru, one of the trainers has said he will lend me a Stealth.
I still think I will sacrifice time for safety....remember that bit when I said I am not anywhere near the Eurotesters?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A stealth is really, really, really good piece of kit, good that you will have one to use. No such thing as sacrificing time for safety you gotta gun it Toofy Grin They will start you out on the less steeper terrain so should be a hoot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, One other thing to consider is a cheap pair of football shinpads, but wear them on your forearms over the top of your jacket.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rungsp, any padding you can get would be good!

In my 2nd week of gates skiing I thought (in my arrogant ignorance) that I was getting quite good and so tried to get tighter to the gates to attempt to improve my time. Hit a GS gate incorrectly and thought I had fractured my clavicle! (only badly bruised)

Enjoy it though and if in doubt...GO FOR IT!! Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain bike pads may be a cheap solution Toofy Grin
snow report
@rungsp, yes, please keep us updated - hope it all works out well. snowHead
snow conditions
@rungsp,
Just remember that hot 21 year old who sets off just before you, if you catch her up you get to take her out wink snowHead
snow conditions
speed098, I have come to learn (vicariously) that the world of working, and progressing, ski instructors is a very small one.

What that means is that in reality that hot 21 year old knows my daughter or my son, probably both.

Clearly...I won't be taking her out.....though obviously, OBVIOUSLY, I would have easily caught her up Embarassed
snow report
rungsp wrote:
@Raceplate, catsuit??

That would be a sight...one the world will be spared.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have fun Smile
ski holidays
hedley is allowed to laugh (or recoil in horror at the thought of it)....he's met me!
snow report
Apart form being sore, skiing at the gates is unlikely to be quicker than going round them, at least to begin with. The stealth is good 'cos you might still clip them on the way by anyway. Oh and avoid getting your arm or ski tip inside a GS gate, I've done both and paid the price!
ski holidays

I had a week with the JJC guys last week.
I was the only non-qualified person there, but was made just as welcome as anybody else. The coaching team, and all the participants were very nice indeed.

I was coached as one of a group of 5 who were not there with Eurotest in mind, but improving our overall performance.

The weather played a big factor, we skied Monday but then it DUMPED snow for two days, and such was the volume of the snow that they were unable to reopen as the piste bashers were completely buried and they need a JCB to dig them out. Friday we went to Zermatt.

Coaching style is very individualised...each person is talked to one at a time and given aspects to work on. The coaches tend to stand at the bottom and watch the students as we did lap after lap, with feedback every lap. Could not be further away from Follow-Me.

Monday was a transformational day for me, I was so very frustrated at the snowfall as I was desperate to build on that.

In the down time there was a ski tuning clinic. Sports psychology group sessions and 1:1 available at no cost. Fitness training (optional), race craft talks. They did their very best given the lift closures.

I am planning to get back there for a few days at the end of the month as the JJC guys said I can come and get my missed days without further cost. Very kind of them, and much appreciated.

Costs:
Coaching £250 per week.
Accommodation: Self Catering, plain but fine shared flat (private room) £25 per day, arranged through JJC.

100% recommended, zero reservations at all.
snow conditions
Great report @rungsp, glad you had a great time and think you will have many snowheads jealous they where not there snowHead
ski holidays
@rungsp, glad you had fun, it wouldn't have been my cup of tea, but hey, you got skiing in November whilst many of us are stuck in our homes and offices!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
@rungsp, what kind of gates/stubbies etc did they use and what skis did you end up taking??

Well done for giving it a crack and glad you enjoyed it!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy