Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
View from our balcony.... Going to drive up to Morillon, then samoens 1600 and May go up to Flaine tomorrow. Will let you know what the beginner areas look like....just want to try the new skis.......

Oops can't work out how to include pic, but it is very green , on the positive side the fire is lit, beer is open and I'm not at work !!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tunnel Mont Blanc is open. Queues may become an issue if the whole of GM, Megeve, Haute Savoie etc go to ITA in search of snow. There is also the none too trivial sum of for return ticket 52EU.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-02-15 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AP1, set up a photobucket account and then link the photos to here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier would be nearer to Morillon than Cervinia.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Colinski, if you go I would suggest you book into lessons all week. Instructors will find you the best conditions and you,ll have lift priority. People really shouldn't assure people that anywhere without a glacier and a lot of high altitude skiing is snowsure at Christmas. Flaine is at 1650m I think.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is Cham a better option? A lot closer whilst I haven't checked today, it should have snow above 2000? Only downer is it might be inhumane crowded carnage
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-02-15 21:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is whats just appeared on the facebook page - The facebook translation is a bit pants but you get the idea -I am flying out friday evening - probably not going to now.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

"The absence of precipitation and periods of cold of the beginning of the season is required to stations The grand massif - flaine, les carroz, morillon, samoëns and sixt.

In the face of these constraints, and aware of the fort inconvenience that this entails, we are sorry to you Inform that the too low snow will not enable us to open the ski area this saturday, 20 December.

In the light of the present conditions, and subject to change in the coming days, we put Everything in order to provide you with the areas that will remain minimalist:

- to flaine: On the sector of the pre and bissac
- to the carroz: With the arrival of the lift of the kédeuze
- to morillon: In the beginning of the sector esserts ( morillon 1100 )
- at samoëns: With the arrival of the grand massif express ( samoëns 1600 )

A system of shuttlepods will be put in place in the valley of the giffre linking the sites of morillon , samoëns and sixt.

We will keep you informed of any developments during the week."

Anybody care to decifer this for me...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 13-02-15 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's raining now at 700 m in samoens. I know dos the Dog wanted a walk in the rain !!!!!!!! Hope that means snow at 1600... Snow forecast tmrw. Will let you know if it happens
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am awaiting to see if the snow that is forecast for next couple of days actually arrives and in the meantime have just instructed my 10 & 12yr olds to do the "snow dance to the snow gods" for the next five days
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flaine will not open on December 20. There is no snow to speak of and the forecast is toilet.

Strange thing is Aosta forecast for dumps at end of this week. Not that far away but whopping mountain makes a huge difference it seems.

Other option is ITA forecast is dangly bits. However they already have some cover. Spewing as tunnel costs 52eu.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AP1, thanks, keep us all posted its much appreciated
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe if you send the original text
ski holidays
Just cancelled our ski hire, ESF agreed to credit our lessons, Ski pass being refunded in full, just need to negotiate apartment cost with owner. Looks like I'm gonna be busy next few weeks rebooking for Feb Half term. Sad
latest report
I'm in Flaine and it's been snowing for about 2 hours. Depths measured in mm not cm, but it's a start. I would guess the temperature at about -2C. It's actually stopped snowing at the moment so it will be interesting to see what happens overnight. The snow cover at resort level is very thin and couldn't possibly withstand many people skiing on it, let alone the hoards that are due to arrive on Saturday. I'm staying in Montsoleil. The new development next door (Terrasses d'Helios) does not look ready to open on Saturday, but we'll see.

I'll try and update tomorrow morning.
snow report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-02-15 21:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Colinski, gutted for you as I am for my friends whose first trip it was going to be. We are being pragmatic and recovering every penny we reasonably can and will try to go in Feb Half term. Oh well its grim but nobody died onward and upward snow will arrive at some point and at some point we will ski
snow conditions
I'll update you on samoens . Raining at 700 m so good to hear it's snow in Flaine.... Snow forecast tomorrow to 1300m....nursery slopes may be open Saturday...... Driving to Morillon , les carroz tmrw so will see what happens
ski holidays
@Chris Mason, a few mm of snow is not enough. Flaine website categorically states it will not open on the 20th. From Flaine website;

"Information of December, 16th
​Due to the lack of snow and cold weather Flaine ski slopes won't open on saturday the 20th
We shall not miss to hold you informed about the evolution of the situation."

I suspect hoardes will be frantically not arriving and making other arrangements.
latest report
Oops sorry for repeating posting the GM info that @colinski had said a few posts earlier. Hey ho that's the gamble isn't it, I've had many years where it's paid off. I suppose question now is if snow falls tomorrow and Thursday as forecast do you risk the journey for 3 days of possibly only beginners slopes. Haven't booked transfer, or ski hire yet so no loss there just flights and appartment but line @jirac18 is doing might renegotiate for feb.
snow report
Against all odds I am staying optimistic......some may say stupid
latest report
Colinski wrote:
Against all odds I am staying optimistic......some may say stupid

Not at all. Stay optimistic. We arrived in Wengen one Xmas Eve to find no snow at all and ski passes at give away prices. It snowed a metre the next day and we had a wonderful holiday.
ski holidays
This is really bad news, we are due to arrive in Flaine for our SCGB off piste week on Saturday - looks like a lot of skinning may be invoved
latest report
I arrived to green wet slopes in Les Arcs one year (1980's)....pouring rain. Woke up the next day to 50cm powder. The bliss of those ignorant days before wiggles and forecast radars!!
snow report
@Juddernaut, and yet the websites for the lower resorts are saying nothing. At least Flaine are being honest
snow report
@telford_mike,
Quote:

Not at all. Stay optimistic. We arrived in Wengen one Xmas Eve to find no snow at all and ski passes at give away prices. It snowed a metre the next day and we had a wonderful holiday.

Ohhhhh that sounds more like my optimism Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have been thro Mont Blanc tunnel a few times, it's probably 2 hours each way to Cormayeur if all goes well but it's also not cheap...over 30 euros return I think? Cerci is is a bit of a trek as you have to go down the Aosta valley and then up to Cervinia. Courmayeur is just thro the tunnel. Don't know if they have any snow though. possibly better off in Chamonix or Avoriaz but it will be packed. We will be taking the hiking boots and doing day trips to Geneva and Annecy...
latest report

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-02-15 21:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Not sure how Courmayeur is two hours away. It is 20 minutes past Cham
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
This is really bad news, we are due to arrive in Flaine for our SCGB off piste week on Saturday - looks like a lot of skinning may be invoved

Yes but you need snow to skin on!
snow report
zzz wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

Yes but you need snow to skin on!

Skinning up some grass?
latest report

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-02-15 21:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Can ski right down to Samoens:

http://www.epictv.com/content/leaf-line-epictv?header_b=1
ski holidays
Off to Flaine on teh 3rd of Jan.....COME ON SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Not sure how Courmayeur is two hours away. It is 20 minutes past Cham

2 hours does sound quite long but 20 minutes is highly optimistic. Have you actually driven it? it takes quite a time to trek up to the start of the tunnel, sometimes with substantial queues, and to drive slowly through. Last report here, IIRC, Courmayeur was doing badly for snow.
snow conditions
Drive it all the time. To be fair, this is from the turn-off to the tunnel near Les Houches; not Cham itself. That said, the tunnel is 11km long, the speed limit is 70kph so it takes about ten minutes to get through the tunnel itself. If you don't have to queue to get in, which has been the case in my last two trips then Courmayeur is a few minutes out of the tunnel. 20 minutes if everything goes well is not mission impossible. Courmayeur only a few kms from tunnel exit.

FWIW - Google maps quotes 28 minutes from centre of Cham to centre of Courmayeur and I wasn't talking about leaving from the middle of either town. Confirms the above for mine. Queues aside I stand by the 20 minutes.

Have you driven it?
latest report
Report from Flaine: about 2cm fell yesterday, made it look better but in reality no improvement. Would guess it's about -5C at the moment at 1650m with cloud cover. Off to do the short X=country course up on the golf course - anything's better than looking out of the window feeling frustrated.

@carroz, yes, that's the one. I haven't been up there yet but I'm told that the shops are filling their shelves and that they are desperately trying to get some of the apartments ready. As there will probably be a lot of 'no shows' in the existing block they may move everyone to other P&V residences.
latest report
We are booked in the new one arrive on the 27th Dec. hopefully it will be ready as the ski collection assures me all is fine. Hoping it snows lots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy