Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Looking a lot whiter on the webcams today.......keep snow dancing everybody Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was looking for a one night stay in Flaine, but according to the office du tourisme its 7 days minimum.

Managed to have luck searching elsewhere, but you'd think the OdT would want to encourage shorter stays..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just as I thought things were improving !!
[ info opening ]
In the light of the snow today and weather forecasts for the next few days, we inform you of the report Of the opening of the ski area of flaine to saturday 20 december if the conditions are right .

We will not fail to keep you informed of the evolution of the situation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@macgyver, why? It's France, that's not how it works.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AP1, Oh well, guess I'll have to pack my walking boots. I'm in Flaine for meetings next week and I delayed my return flights to get a couple of days early season skiing in. Fat chance!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope conditions 'are right' on the 20th as that's when i arrive. only got 3 days as coming back for christmas on the 23rd, not out again till March...There was a reasonable amount forecast for this weekend 20cm+ (sort of reasonable) but that seems to have disappered in later forecasts. - Boo and Hiss. The bar it is then!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been checking the webcams for Morillon this week and not once seen any sign of the cannons having been used. Any ideas why when temperatures have clearly been low enough.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jirac18, the cannons were going this week for a bit, I checked in on the webcams and they were working albeit didn't seem to be making much snow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just read Grand massif and Flaine not opening this weekend, closed to the 20th....
http://winter.grand-massif.com/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jirac18,

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 13-02-15 21:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meteoblue.com predicting some more snow on Saturday and Sunday for Flaine, not a massive dump but don't think thats going to happen anytime soon. A slow build up of real snow and the cannons look to be our only hope for Christmas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-02-15 21:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@carroz, thanks for the heads up, unfortunately I'm only out from 19-23 dec just getting a quick 3 days in before Christmas. I have done this to Flaine many times with no worries from 2008 onwards except when school holiday dates don't allow sufficient days before Xmas (wife doesn't ski so have to get home for Christmas and the conditions of this deal is that I spend Xmas at the in laws)

Easyjet flights and cheap transfers make this the ideal resort for a quick in and out, I'm just hoping I get something.

What are the likelihood of them putting opening date back beyond the 20th, Have resorts ever been closed Christmas week ? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but don't want to arrive and no skiing at all possible. Will take artificial snow, but none at all , I would take the hit and just not go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@macgyver, why? It's France, that's not how it works.
Because there are large numbers of people that visit resorts for just a weekend, and if there was a cheap 1 night stay option they could make decent money!!!
snow report
@macgyver, but as any fule knos, "entrepreneur is not a word in the French dictionary".
ski holidays

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-02-15 21:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Well lets hope that all the forecast precipitation meets some colder temps. If it does that's plenty enough snow for xmas week, if it doesn't well a walking holiday it is. In the lap of the gods we are.
snow report
Oh merde snow disappearing fast today at Morillon
latest report
@jirac18, but Morillon is very low - it'll hang around much better in the higher areas.
snow report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 13-02-15 21:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
This time next week myself the wife and my two boys should be on a lift on our very first ski holiday!!! For all your information if the the snow gods listen to our snow dancing??? then it will be fine as I feel like Michael flattely at the moment . And I don't dance for much I can tell you (except after many beers) Very Happy
ski holidays
Meteoblue showing rain today, through to snow on wednesday and then more rain thursday. It needs to be colder so that rain falls as snow. Come on snow gods.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/france/weather-flaine

I am still worried particularly as the top parts of Flaine are huge areas of limestone with massive crevasses, surely it needs a whack load of snow to fill all those in and get them open and the lower slopes look decidedly ropey, plus Im guessing the link between Flaine and Les Carroz is unlikely to be open.

Anyway going to leave it till thursday then make a decision one way or the other.
snow report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just saw news on the GM website, they're not opening on the 20th because of the conditions...they will obviously keep the situation under review. Not going till 26th but it's not looking good...
snow conditions
@Minnie, GRAND MASSIF

From Saturday 20th December 2014 to Sunday 19th April 2015

FLAINE

From Saturday 13rd December 2014 to Sunday 19th April 2015
Press release of 12/09/14:
Given the current snow conditions and weather forecast for the next days, we inform you of the postponement of the opening of the Flaine ski area on Saturday, December 20 if conditions permit.

I think it's a bit of "lost in translation" that is the announcement that it would not be opening on 13th as Flaine opens a week or so before the rest of grand massif. Website still shows opening date as 20th...........at the moment. Either way it's still not looking good.
latest report
Cancel my above post......just read another update saying what @Minnie, said. Looks like it will be closed Crying or Very sad question is now do I drive the 10 hrs with kids etc only for them and me to be bitterly disappointed. First ever ski trip and I have been busting a gut all year to be able to afford it.....yours utterly distraught and completely p......d off Crying or Very sad
latest report
@Colinski, are you going with a tour operator or DIY?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote from grand massif website

Statement from the Grand Massif ski areas of 16/12/14 - 12h05
The Grand Massif resorts of Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt have been affected by the lack of precipitation and cold spells during this early part of the season.

Faced with these difficulties, and whilst being well aware of the huge inconvenience that this causes, we regret to announce that the poor snow coverage means that we will not be able to open the ski area this Saturday 20th December.

In view of current conditions and depending on how the weather evolves over the coming days, we are doing all that we can to open some areas, albeit restricted:
- in Flaine: on the Pré and Bissac sectors
- in Les Carroz: at the top of the Kédeuze telecabine
- in Morillon: on the Esserts beginner zone (Les Esserts)
- in Samoëns: at the top of the Grand Massif Express (Samoëns 1600)

A shuttle bus service will be laid on in the Giffre valley linking Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt.

We will keep you updated of any changes during the week.
snow conditions
@kitenski, DIY Embarassed
snow conditions
@Colinski, well it looks like they are trying to get some areas open, so if you have a car it looks likely you can get to some beginner areas doesn't it? Worst, worst case you could drive elsewhere to snow...
snow conditions
@kitenski, that is true and some forecasters are predicting some snow tomorrow/Thursday. Not knowing the area myself is there anywhere you may suggest within driving distance? We just would love a few days up a mountain
snow report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-02-15 21:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'll defer to the local experts Wink

However if it is your first ski holiday and I assume you are complete beginners you only need one slope and one lift at least for the first few days!
ski holidays
@carroz, we have a place booked and paid for in morillon village. I am guessing with the snow cannons and maybe a little real snow the beginner areas in any of the GM resorts will give us some fun. The one reason we booked the GM was everybody told me Flaine was pretty snow sure......arggggghhhhhhhh
latest report
@kitenski, I can ski (although not for years) and the rest of the tribe have had a lot of lessons and practice and are now at parallel turning stage. I am sure it will be fun just not that on top of a mountain feeling we wanted. My fault for telling everyone that my one and only facebook update of the year would be the pic from the top across to Mont Blanc with the words "enjoy your sprouts back in England"
latest report

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-02-15 21:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Is there something wrong with the webcams and they are showing images from Summer or something? Can't be right.
snow report
@carroz, funny thing is we didn't do our normal walking holiday in the Lake District /peaks/insert any other hilly area for the last year or two saving for the big Xmas spectacul in the Alps!!
ski holidays
looks like you could drive through the tunnel to Italy in theory, Cervinia is 160km away looking at google maps, Courmayeur is 72km away, but I don't know the local roads and this assume the tunnel is open!!

perhaps @carroz, can confirm if it's possible!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy