Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Have you driven it?

yes, and never done it in 20 minutes, but I was talking about Cham Central to Courmayeur central and having to stop to buy a ticket. I have also crawled up the approach road behind an HGV with no chance of overtaking. IIRC the speed limit is also low for some distance once you are out of the tunnel on the Italian side. I much prefer Fréjus actually, but that's not much help to anyone in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wednesday morning and I took the decision to tell my boys about the "no snow" Crying or Very sad both are as devastated as me and my 10yr old has taken his salopettes off for the first time in two weeks bless him. All in all this year has been a really crap one for us as a family and this was supposed to our light at the end of the tunnel. Question is do I drive the long drive on Sunday morning and make the best of it ( concerned seeing the mountains for a week but not able to ski will be tough) or just stay at home?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have not followed this thread to date, but there is now a chance we will be in Samoens for the New Year. Do we think there will be much snow in the area by then?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what about seeing if you can get a last minute deal to Tignes or Val D, as they are far higher and have snow.

Might end up costing a bit more but to incur a few hundred quid rescuing, more would probably feel better than staying at home and being miserable....and still having to spend money back home on entertaining the kids.

you got the crossing booked, etc........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Have you driven it?

yes, and never done it in 20 minutes, but I was talking about Cham Central to Courmayeur central and having to stop to buy a ticket. I have also crawled up the approach road behind an HGV with no chance of overtaking. IIRC the speed limit is also low for some distance once you are out of the tunnel on the Italian side. I much prefer Fréjus actually, but that's not much help to anyone in Chamonix.

Well if you get stuck behind a slow truck and you don't overtake it then it is going to take more than 20 minutes. As I said; "if all goes well" 20 minutes. Of course, if I get stuck behind a snail like vehicle then I overtake it. Not rocket science.
Limit is 70 kph after tunnel. As I said Google quotes about the same time - based on speed limits. Italians are liberal with that anyway so no need to crawl along.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stefoy4me, yeah crossing etc booked, problem is so is the chalet in morillon so can't change that and can't afford to buy another lot of accomodation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin - ahh yes appreciate cost is an issue

where in Morillon are you staying Les Chalets Du Bois De Champelle ??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morillon village, private chalet, are you there as well then?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carroz, thanks carroz, am sure we will find things to do. Make the best of it I say ah
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Colinski, personally I'd go, as said before you can get through the tunnel into Italy worst case if they get nothing open in and around Flaine, or Verbier as another option.....

I've done 2 hour drives to find snow pre-Xmas before but not with kids!

Avoriaz maybe another option that looks like it may have some skiing...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Colinski, Really sorry that the weather has worked out like this for your first family ski holiday. Sad

If you are unable to postpone your booking, I would probably go ahead with your holiday. If you are all beginners and they have the beginners area open you will probably be able to do some skiing. There is also the chance it will snow while you are there and they may be able to open a bit more. Last year I remember seeing Les Carroz completely green till almost opening day and one large dump of snow allowed it to open. Realise that may be less likely this time if the weather is mild.

We have been to the Grand Massif in summer as well as winter and Samoens is a year round resort. I think there is an ice rink there. They will probably have a programme of events for Christmas week. There is a creperie called La Fandioleuse which is very cosy and good value for a family meal - book in advance though as the seating area is tiny. Might be worth trying it at lunchtime if you aren't skiing. There is a revamped pool in Les Carroz which looks very nice. You could do a day trip to Annecy which has a pretty old town. Chamonix is less than an hour's drive too. We have found the locals very friendly in all the Grand Massif resorts and I'm sure they will make a special effort knowing that people will be disappointed with the lack of snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ColinSki - Do it!!!! being with your family, you will have an amazing time. I am no longer going as was leaving my wife and 2 kids for 4 days to get my ski fix and get it out of my system prior to Christmas. It doesn't seem right now I cant do what I was going for. If my family were with me, it would have been about more than just skiing (is there more than skiing ??) just being together in the mountains will be an amazing experience. This is my plan as soon as my two get a little older.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, @Flandiddly, @snowymum, thanks guys, I know it's not going to be the "white Xmas" we all wanted but am sure it will be nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Colinski, keep an eye on the Chamonix thread as well to see what they get open.....and best of luck!
snow report
colinski...no i own one of the chalets there.
ski holidays
@Colinski, if it's going to cost you a lot to cancel, I'd go - and have a different kind of family holiday. But given your kids are complete beginners I'd not start trying to drive to resorts you don't know and will be extremely busy and stressful. Stay put and enjoy the other local activities. But if you can cancel without much cost, and re-schedule a ski holiday, maybe at Easter, I think that'd be my choice.
snow conditions
I really feel for that 10 year old taking off his salopettes..... Sad
snow conditions
@pam w, they aren't complete beginners.....

Worth checking your holiday insurance though @Colinski, to see if you can get some money back and have a white Easter (hopefully)
snow report
@pam w, it's a private chalet so will lose the hire cost of that/tunnel/etc. We can't afford to lose that and go again Sad

Ps, bright red salopettes and a very cheeky grin until this morning, jumped on his scooter to school still with tears in his eyes.
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
We'll I'm going Friday, snow or not. As someone mentioned earlier, there are worse places to be whatever the weather. I'm sort of looking forward to a couple of days "off". It will actually be a novelty having nothing to do and nowhere to be. Stock up with wine, light the fire, a good film on the telly, actually the more I think about it the less bothered I am if there isn't snow on day one. We're in Morillon at least 55 days this season plus a week in St Anton so we'll get plenty of opportunity for skiing. I do feel for those of you who are there for your only ski holiday though.
snow report
I have done 2 hours and more each way drive with small children for a days skiing when there has been none where we were staying. Its actually not that bad! Don`t do it consecutive days and play plenty of games with the children on the journey and it becomes an adventure. Amongst other trips we once went to Serre chevalier for a day from Allemont near Bourg D'Oisans. The boys must have been 9,11 & 13 ish, we called it an adventure, treated it as such and we had a good day out in SC, stopping on the way back for dinner after which they all fell asleep. As very little ones they always slept on journeys back from ski slopes only even if it was only a 20 min run!

Our most notable expedition was to Les Diablerets from Les Gets. Notable because the cable car up to the glacier was shut due to high wind when we got there. However consolation came by way of a fantastic lunch on a restaurant terrace with beautiful views, and according to our then 6, 8 & 10 year old boys, the most amazing loo with a swivelly self cleaning seat! The latter kept them amused for ages until I realized they did not all have bladder problems and did not keep requiring visits to the cloakroom rolling eyes Laughing Our boys still talk about it some 17 years later.

Whilst it is disappointing not to ski on a ski holiday it is about attitude of mind. For the first time ever we will not have any of our (now grown up) children with us this christmas and our trip to Morzine was supposed to cheer us up. I am busily changing my mind set to looking forward to ice skating, swimming, and enjoying the savoyarde ambience Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like its snowing in the GM at the moment Very Happy
latest report
@897sma, am watching them cams like a hawk Smile
latest report
Quote:

I am busily changing my mind set to looking forward to ice skating, swimming, and enjoying the savoyarde ambience

I am too, though definitely without the ice skating. I went skating in Chamonix one mid-January, years ago, when the snow was complete rubbish and fell and gave myself the mother and father of all bruised hips - it swelled up so much I could only wear pyjamas the next day.

Do those outdoor skating rinks work if it's warm? I suppose sophisticated ones might; I don't think the one in Les Saisies will. But we have a lovely new pool and leisure complex to enjoy. The fact that I (and my daughter's family who will be with me) have enjoyed the Alps in the summer does help - it's not just about the skiing.

@Colinski, you don't have to lose the tunnel cost - you can change it.

Will your holiday insurance not provide anything for "no skiing available" in your chosen resort?

I'm shocked that the GM is going to be closed - we won't know till the end of the week, I suspect, what will happen in Les Saisies.
snow conditions
Went for a run and by the end it had started raining. Been heavy now for 3 hours and can see that it is falling as snow above 1200m. Need the freezing level for tomorrow to fall and we may have a decent depth..... Fingers crossed
ski holidays
@pam w, The ice rink in Morzine I am thinking of visiting is indoor, I think built for the olympics? It was certainly one of the smoothest ice rink surfaces I have ever skated on. A real dream! I agree that the rough surface often found on the outdoor rinks can be an accident waiting to happen and I would not risk that with my dodgy hips! The one in Samoens certainly had a rather rough surface on the several occasions we`ve visited that one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, the one I knackered myself on in Chamonix was an indoor rink - it was nothing to do with the surface, just me, and an unlucky landing. Have just heard that Les Saisies is planning to open 8 - 10 pistes on Saturday.
ski holidays
Please can the fella who has parked his car under the lampost on the Flaine webcam leave it there for the night. The webcams are now dark but I can see from his roof how much it's snowed Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Has been snowing in Flaine since about 11.30 this morning. Since yesterday afternoon there has been at least 10cm of snow, maybe 15cm at resort level. That is the good (or better) news............

......I've just been told by a local chap that rain is forecast for tomorrow.
latest report
@Colinski, snowHead snowHead Laughing
snow report
@Colinski, we've been watching his car for days, and it hasn't moved! We've seen the level go up and down and this is the best we've seen it.........
snow report
Ha ha , just seen it....it's not mine...
snow conditions
Ha ha thought it was only me watching it, it's true you just can't do anything these days without being spied on
latest report
I wasn't watching till you mentioned it...... Anything that makes me think we might get some skiing in next week
snow report
I'm getting mixed messages re opening of some Flaine lifts on Saturday or Sunday. Has anyone on the ground got any info or even an Opinion?
snow conditions
@AP1, exactly, am hoping to wake up tomorrow and watch him on the web cam frantically trying to find it as its lost in snow (optimistic I know)
ski holidays
Said it before but I can say it again.

Flaine website says ;

http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/news/news/news.htm

Due to the lack of snow and cold weather Flaine ski slopes won't open on saturday the 20th.
We shall not miss to hold you informed about the evolution of the situation.
snow report
apparently telephone conversation with lift offices more recent than latest Flaine website address hinted at limited opening to be reviewed on daily basis..... Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy