Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nonsense alert - The shape of skis and boards

Poster: A snowHead
[nonsense alert]Skis have been straight, waisted, and flexed in all sorts of various directions. So have boards from what I see - generically the same sort of shape as a ski, but wider.

When people describe how a carving ski turns they explain that pushing your foot down on the centre of the ski as it sits on a slope causes the ski to inscribe an arc on the snow. Yes, you can play with a plastic ruler and an inclined hard backed book and see the concept work. Slalom skis with their deeper arc relative to their tips as a rule curve quicker than those with a shallower arc.

So why is it that if I tear an ellipse out of a piece of paper and place it against the surface of an inclined hard back book that it appears to also curve quickly? Has anyone ever made skis that are fatter in the middle than at the edge and would they go around in an arc?[/nonsense alert]

If I'm talking nonsense put it down to the copious quantities of painkillers the doc put me on yesterday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reverse Sidecut and reverse camber : http://www.downskis.com/old-skis/countdown-5 - I have nt the first idea what they ski like but google them on youtube and they work!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maybe you'd disappear up your own backside, sharpish, turning right on the outside of your left foot, Megamum. wink Why are you on painkillers?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, You could think about the various forces involved.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, trapped sciatic nerve - old spine injury and it flares up from time to time.

mishmash, so maybe I'm not off my trolley then. I wonder how fat you could make the ellipse?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shane McConkey ( and waterski designers got your thinking in first)
http://www.evo.com/what-is-so-special-about-the-volant-spatula-powder-ski-how-do-i-ski-the-spatulas.aspx
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From Fawcett Snowboards : "Yes, reverse sidecut. Why? Once you start riding in penetrable snow conditions, the principals of hydrodynamics come into play. Sidecut is slower with the deepest penetrating points are at either end of your ride. This “surf” inspired shape puts the engaging point between your feet, allowing for tighter radius turns at higher speeds, and the ability to draw-out long turns from the same board. This shape also has far less drag, as the tail section continues to fade inward when compared to a traditional sidecut that flares-out, acting like a brake or anchor. If you know you are in for fresh tracks, and seek the "surfy" sensation, this is the board for you."

check out the shapes !!! http://www.fawcettboards.com/philosophy.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loving these fat nutters : 165cm under foot !!

http://youtube.com/v/vfA8E-5xo2k#t=56

Not sure about the branding : garywayne skis -mmmm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Garywaynes are even weirder, with a convex base profile side to side as well as tip-to-tail, etc. They call it "omnidirectional rocker", apparently. I'm sure it would be quite entertaining to watch someone try to ski some on hardpack.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mishmash wrote:
Loving these fat nutters : 165cm under foot !!

http://youtube.com/v/vfA8E-5xo2k#t=56

Not sure about the branding : garywayne skis -mmmm

I assume you mean 165mm underfoot !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, One of the major inspirations of modern ski design was based around a water ski in powder.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oops sorry, notice Dave of the Marmottes, already covered this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes, mishmash, so I wasn't nuts. Those garywayne (as you say 'brilliant branding' LOL) skis are very much what I had in mind and yes, I guess surfboards have always been that shape. Serriadh, that was my next thought - I wonder how they get on skiing back to base on groomers with them?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This has some footage of someone skiing Gary Waynes on hardpack. Looks er interesting! Worse would be trying to hold onto an icey traverse Shocked

garywayne omnidirectional skiing from garywayne
http://vimeo.com/15648748

I did ski with a guy who was trying them out one time - he was a pretty average skier but they allowed him to have a good time in deep but slightly settled powder
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, from simple geometry, a reverse side cut ski will only carve in snow enough and deep enough to allow the edges to engage. On hardpack, they just will not work.

Must be good painkillers.
snow conditions
But just how do you carry them ? !!
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess surfboards have always been that shape

but they go into the water in a way that skis would not go "into" a piste. The design of watercraft is about the shape of the underwater area.
ski holidays
under a new name, really good painkillers Madeye-Smiley . Geometry - hypothetically would the edges of an ellipse (thinking my piece of paper again) still not engage to some degree on an inclined surface if an ellipse was flexed through the middle such that the tips were higher than the middle?

NB. I'll fold the paper into a Mobius loop tomorrow - then I'll really have fun Laughing
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

The design of watercraft is about the shape of the underwater area.

I had never thought of water craft in that way before, but you are right of course.
latest report
I've ridden with plenty of people on GaryWaynes and know the people who make them, although I've no commercial connection. Sheldon probably doesn't really cater for people who focus much on "branding".

From talking to skiers on GWs I think they offer you a lot more flexibility in deep untracked snow, which is what they were built for and what they're tested in.

I've not really seen any "average" people on GWs. I would say they're more aimed at experts. I think "park stance" novices in deep snow may be better suited with standard reverse cambered powder skis.

I've not tried Mark's boards yet, but I'd give them a shot if he'd care to lend a few to Powder Mountain. I wouldn't expect to trade my Kessler race board for one on hard pack though.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
under a new name, really good painkillers Madeye-Smiley . Geometry - hypothetically would the edges of an ellipse (thinking my piece of paper again) still not engage to some degree on an inclined surface if an ellipse was flexed through the middle such that the tips were higher than the middle?

NB. I'll fold the paper into a Mobius loop tomorrow - then I'll really have fun Laughing

I thought pam had already answered this one. Yes, if you cut out an ellipse of paper, angle it to the flat plane it will settle and engage the edges. the direction of 'flex though will be the opposite to that of an ordinary sidecut ski, so the ski would 'carve' the wrong way. If you angle the elliptical ski to the left (i.e. lift the righthand edge) the ski will bend and camber with the centre of the radius to the right - i.e. when you lean and try turning to your left the ski will try to turn right.
snow conditions
rogg, if you put pressure in the centre of it it will not "settle".
snow report
rogg, Pam's answer went 'woosh' at about 6'3" and carried on into the distance. Sorry Pam! Blame the drugs! Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy