Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is theft a real problem in resort

Poster: A snowHead
Mosha Marc wrote:
Mates, who needs them Evil or Very Mad
Mean, but very funny Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE, in a sense I hope you're wrong then, better to lose the skis surely!

With all the expensive cars, laptops, cameras etc in resort I'd never consider skis that valuable a target, but I heard about one case (did it get a mention on here?) where the thieves decided to demolish part of the exterior wall of the building to access the ski locker - 'where there's a will' and all that...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
The lockers in my apartment block are steel lined and have locks that would not be out of place on an apartment in Rome.

I didn't know Rome was the hotbed of home invasion crime. I was planning a weekend there too Toofy Grin

Quote:
I imagine it would be much easier to break into the apartment.

I'd imagine the people who run your apartment block have got their priorities wrong!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibly silly question: do you just wrap the lock around the skis and, say, one of those often-crowded ski stands they have outside mountain restaurants? And you can do it tight enough that the skis can't just be wriggled out of the loop by a determined thief?
Sorry, I'm just having trouble picturing how this works.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski locks are usually thin - think bike brake cable wire - with a doodah on the end. Just thread it through the bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I didn't know Rome was the hotbed of home invasion crime. I was planning a weekend there too Toofy Grin

I visited a colleagues apartment in the EUR district of Rome. His apartment front door had a central lock with arms radiating outwards to give bolts at the top, bottom and two arms each to the left and right, much like a strong room lock. I was very impressed. there was also a grille over the window.

And Rome is also the only place I have been subject to a failed robbery on the street.

Though it may be easier to break into an apartment it is much, much harder to do it unnoticed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ArcticFox1, as said, round a pole of the ski rack then threaded through the bindings. I had a really heavy-duty cable lock, but when I changed skis it wouldn't go through the bindings on the new pair!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Up the hill , usually idiocy.

In village? In my first season we organised floodlit night racing and repaired to a nearby bar for prize giving. There had been a gang who found out about this, they may have been targetting other apres bars, and lifted all the skis each night.

TOH and i have locks to deter idiocy and deter random acts of theft bought when our skis were shiny and new and sought after. We just got into the habit.

The locks are trivial and when I mistakenly used the SiLs last year, easy to cut with a snip borrowed from the lifties, but still...

Having seen wrong skis, sticks, boots and clothing taken by idiocy, it's a hassle that's worth protecting against.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My mates volkls have been nicked outside a restaurant in val d'isere today, only had them a year and is now €800 worse off Sad

We're off to meribel in a couple of weeks and he's been told it's even worse for theft there Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
800 euros? Jesus! And my mate was pissed off when he had £30 helmet, £10 gloves and £15 goggles stolen in VT a few weeks back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My skis were taken from a hotel ski room in Westendorf last year, but it turned out that a large Dutch group had left the hotel early that morning and the guy given the job of loading the skis into the coach had simply assumed any nice skis which weren't rentals had to be theirs. They sent them back by courier but it took days, and they arrived just before we left for home. Still, I was delighted to get them back!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
800 euros? Jesus! And my mate was pissed off when he had £30 helmet, £10 gloves and £15 goggles stolen in VT a few weeks back.

Yea, the ones he had nicked are volkl racetiger speedwall and they're in over £530 online in a 150cm Shocked

There was thread on here the other day about people nicking in one valley and selling them on in the next Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I feel like a bit of an oddity reading this thread. Picked up skiing again aged 31 after one ski hol aged 13. Always travelked with at least one child - and have never been pissed out and about in resort.

I've never locked my skis and have never had them stolen, but we do split them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gad, no insurance??? Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Shimmy Alcott, some policies don't cover skis left unlocked outside a restaurant.
snow report
@pam w, they probably weren't locked but he doesn't state they were or were not.
ski holidays
I think that the perceived theft problem depends on the resort/area.

I ski mainly in the PDS and, on mountain, there appears to be very few problems, it is unusual to see locks on skis, very rarely hear of problems although we tend to stop only in the smaller villages, not Morzine/Avoriaz.

In the village, I always take skis "home" first, not because I'm worried about theft, just about forgetting where I left them.

Of the other places I have skied I was shocked by L2A a few years back, locks on skis everywhere, pay for the toilets or hand over a ticket, which you had to ask for when you bought at the bar, and if you forgot to ask you couldn't go back and get a ticket. Generally an atmosphere of distrust and if they could you would be charged for the air that you breath.

People seem to take most "notice" of skis which aren't badged with ski hire shops labels as they are usually "interesting" skis.

When I used to rent, then I just took the insurance, and didn't worry. Now I have my own I still don't lock but I have labelled my skis with a prominent ski hire looking label on each ski which includes my mobile number, with my label they just blend into the background.

I was concerned for the first season that I owned them but they owe me nothing now as the rental savings outweigh the purchase cost.

If they were to be stolen now then by the time the insurance company factors in the wear and tear and then deduct the excess I would probably owe them money, certainly it would increase my insurance costs in the future as soon as you answer the question about past claims. To be fair if my skis were to be stolen the thief would probably be doing me a favour as it would give me an excellent reason/excuse to tell my wife that I need new pair.

Just remember that if you are one of the "locking" people make sure to keep the receipt, as I have heard of insurance companies asking for proof of ownership of a lock, how true, don't know, but worth thinking about.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
@gad, no insurance??? Sad

you would have thought so but I haven't spoken to him, just texts but he sounds very unhappy Shocked
latest report
Timc wrote:
Just remember that if you are one of the "locking" people make sure to keep the receipt, as I have heard of insurance companies asking for proof of ownership of a lock, how true, don't know, but worth thinking about.

Or buy through Amazon (or the like) as they have a record of all the transactions you make.

At the moment I'm still renting skis but will definitely get a lock when I finally splash out on my own set. Although you can split sets or keep an eye on them I think that the added security of a lock (even though they really aren't that strong or secure) is just another deterrent for any would be thieves. I'm still amazed at someone nicking a cheapo helmet though, especially as it was 3 days into the week (so not like it was some opportunist that had forgotten or didn't have their own).
snow report
Is there a thread on good ski locks ?? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
A couple of weeks ago I had my ski lock stolen from outside the Bel-Air restaurant in the 3V. Yes, the lock! they left the skis!
Actually, the lock mechanism was broken and didn't lock properly. I still put the lock around the skis hoping it would give the appearance of being locked and I can only imagine that as someone else removed their skis the vibration caused the lock to come undone and fall off! Some people will nick anything! Sad
snow conditions
@gad, loads. do a search
ski holidays
I was surprised in Ischgl last year. There were plenty of skis left in racks looking for homes at around 1.00am. It seems post après people just totally forget they have skis at all rolling eyes
ski holidays
A couple of weeks ago I'd left my skis outside the restaurant whilst we had lunch. When I got back to them some idiot had locked them together along with their poles, putting the cable of the lock through the holes on the tip for attaching skins. I was fuming and hauled the skis and poles around the restaurant trying to find the owner. Btw they are quite distinctive so easy to recognise. No one owned up but whilst I was holding them I noticed that they seemed a little longer than normal, I looked on the skis and these were 186cm, mine are 179!! Oops. I sheepishly went back outside with them and mine were on the next rack along. Embarassed
snow conditions
Same poles too? @897sma, I have a variety of stickers on my skis, partially for immediate recognition (the OH's are identical) and I could anyway recognise the wear and tear.

In the day my suppliers used to engrave my name tip and tail.
snow conditions
@under a new name, no they were different poles. However they had a Sport Conrad badge on each and exactly the same unusual binding combination - white/blue on the front and black/blue on the back of one ski and the opposite way around on the other ski. The only difference was the length and I have marker griffon schizo bindings and they were just griffons. Anyway my bad, if they hadn't been locked and if the bindings fitted my boots, I would probably have skied off in them thinking someone had nicked my poles.
snow report
Seen it twice in 3V ( must attract that kind of person) at the top lift. Safeman locks are convenient and a bit thicker than the normal ski lock. Would never leave mine unlocked; theft is never a problem until it happens to you, and generally you have to give the thief the opportunity in the first place
snow report
@Kelv1n, your Lockman Alarmboy LT Security Cable Lock might become rather annoying if you use the movement sensor:
Quote:
100 Decibel Alarm if cable is cut or when movement sensor is set and moved
Might be better to put that extra cash into a tough alarm rather than a noisy one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like @cstreat, I use a Safeman (17.99 from Amazon) - excellent piece of kit - but usually don't bother on-slope.
latest report
@897sma, Laughing
snow conditions
Has anyone bought and tried one of these?:

Lockman Alarmboy LT Security Cable Lock http://www.amazon.co.uk/53/dp/B005XZAW00?tag=amz07b-21#productDetails

The 60cm cable length seems a bit short. I can't believe the batteries required can have a suitable capacity for much use. The alarm warning is described as 100db, but is this really loud enough in actual use? They don't say how far away from the sound source the measuring device was when they took the readings; a 100db measured at 10mm does not sound very loud at 10m away.

I also notice that the product costs only a reasonable £ 14.00 but then they want another £14 for postage costs.

Has anyone any comments based on actually owning and using one of these locks?
latest report
@897sma, haha easy enough mistake
snow report
There was a gang that went through Alp DHuez like a dose of salts a few seasons back.

In AUT, a mate and I were last out of a mountain retreat and there were two sets of skis but neither set was my mates. He was cheering though cuz the skis that were there were you beaut, waxed, brand spanking high end, whilst his were cheap rentals. His rentals appeared at the end of the week at the shop when he returned the good ones.

I bought my skis for 30chf. Old carvers that work great for me. I leave the keys in them but no one been tempted yet.
snow report
I worry about my poles more than my skis ...
I've only had one pair knicked ... that was in Les Arcs on a Saturday evening, just hired them, left them in the rack outside the hire shop, to carry the rest of the family's skis into the flat.
Came out ... Gone!!!

I now leave the skis in two different places.

But last season I split the pair up in Tignes at the Pre season bash ... I could not find one of them !
Then I found a pair of pretty ladies who worked in te ski school taking it away ...
They thought it had been stolen !!!!
snow conditions
Whilst I suppose I could leave a grand's worth of gear outside a bar or cafe, it doesn't seem like a sensible thing to do. Especially as I'm a cheapskate and so I don't insure my gear, so I just have to look after it. So no, theft is absolutely not a problem for me. Obviously if the rest of you started locking your [admittedly rather less attractive] gear I'd need to carry a bigger lock, so please don't do that.
snow report
@Juddernaut, you should put a label with a price on them. Makes it much more attractive to thieves if it looks as though someone actually can put a value to them.
latest report
I just nail my wooden skis to the wall of the cafe I'm eating at, and then remove the nails with my claw hammer when my lunch is over. Very Happy
snow conditions
The last hotel I stayed in was a shabby one between 2 very expensive Russian ones. I decided I was safe. Not sure whether this was because the thieves would aim for the Russian hotels or because of what might happen to anyone nosing round near a Russian hotel.
snow conditions
had mine stolen outside the bottom station bar at sunshine Banff.the commotion it caused the local old bill was amazing,think it was tge first crime they had in years.always lock mine now.
snow report
@ansta1, I feel you!

The very first time I took my wife skiing in Canada, she wouldn't let me go off anywhere, as she was scared of being left on her own. We'd had a great lunch at a mid-mountain restaurant and were sat alone on a chairlift - the highest one in the resort after a little coaxing by me.

Looking down at our matching skis was cute, until I realised that we hadn't hired matching skis. So, leaving Mrs Nervous to pick her way down (the weather had also closed in), I hooned back to the restaurant to find another Brit, looking slightly flustered. Nonchalantly stepping out of the skis and leaning across to grab mine, I asked if she was OK? No, she wasn't, someone had stolen her skis. We then looked for them together and, soon enough, they were found, lying down for some reason.

The lady's gratitude didn't quite make up for the earbashing I received from Mrs Nervous for having to ski her first Red alone and in zero-viz.

But hey, what are the chances of picking a random pair of skis and they just fit? (sole length and DIN must have been really, really close to my own)?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy