Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Ski Guide wrote:
Great conditions in the central Pyrenees again today. Most runs are now open and well pisted, and there is plenty of powder to find if you go out of your way a llittle.

With warming temperatures and the holiday exodus this weekend, the slopes will be fantastic and empty next week Happy

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 50/60cm
Peyragudes: 65/100cm
Baqueira Beret: 75/150cm

Happy New Year to all Happy Happy

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm not liking the predicted degree of temp rise! Hopefully the predicted Alpine rain will avoid the Pyrenees and that there will be a chance of another cool down and further snowfall towards the end of Jan
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a great day with guests at Peyragudes today 65cm/100cm. All pistes were in excellent condition with no sign of ice. Most off-piste has been tracked out and under the intense sun a few rocks are showing through, but there is still some excellent powder if you know where to look.

Very busy, and lots of Spanish as usual - but nothing can detract from how good the slopes are.

The Peyresourde base (Haute Pyrenees dept 65) has seen yet more investment with the opening of another slope side development that includes apartments, a spa and a new Intersport along with yet another bar and restaurant. It is looking great - but unfortunately Agudes (the adjoining base) is in the Haute Garonne - Dept 31, and has not had any major developments and really does look like the poor neighbour.

Warm for the week coming, but there is plenty of snow so good skiing for a few weeks to come.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just spent 3 very enjoyable days in Grandvalira, the on-piste snow is still quite good, but some snowfall is going to be needed soon, there are some icy patches and a few pebbles showing through, most of the off-piste is crust at this point...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back from Masella. They advertise about 40km of open slopes where basically all the snow is man-made. No nasty patches of ice thou.

Had a blast on a day where everyone probably stayed home to open Magi's presents Toofy Grin

some pics

Going up on the ski-lift for the first run of the day:

Link to La Molina is still closed:

Snow conditions top at Tosa:

Afternoon:

With no snow forecast for next week and with temperatures hitting new highs things are looking grim in Eastern Pyrenees.

Still in Masella, they announced the dead of a 29 yo guy: while on the ski lift he saw a ski pole. Back on the slope, he took his board off and had an accident while walking off piste to pick up that pole. Press release from the resort (in Spanish).

be safe out there ppl.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm that does look rather dire, just hope Font Romeu, Les Angles and Grandvalira can last out till I arrive on the 30th Jan- need a major temp change and some last minute snow from the 20th onwards if possible!
I guess the only crumb of comfort is that they are not getting rained on as well...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Already have my next trip to Granvalira booked for 16-17 Jan, so if possible that last minute snow should arrive just before that please? Like in the next week or so.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The snow in the central Pyrenees is holding up well. Clear blue skies for days but the temperatures have been cold enough to make snow and keep the pistes in excellent shape. Yes there is the odd stone but they are rare, and at Superbagneres today no ice of any sort.

More snow is needed certainly(hopefully Sunday), but it is great to ski on well groomed pistes with no one else around you.

Reported snow depths:

Baqueira Beret: 65/140cm
Peyragudes: 65/100cm
Superbagneres: 40/50cm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup, the nighttime temperatures have been in sharp contrast with the daytime ones, meaning that - thanks to snowmaking - things are in pretty good shape on those pistes where the snow settled a couple of weeks ago. It's concrete off piste though, at least on the Spanish side. Let's see if Sunday really does bring something... but even if it does, it'll only be temporary I suspect, since this damned high pressure zone continues to look pretty rooted in at the moment Sad

Given that there's not a whole lot to talk about at the moment, I'll just drop in Baqueira's 50th anniversary video that was made public available today. It's a bit long-winded for my taste, but there are some nice scenes of the resort and the valley!

http://youtube.com/v/x3-B2pqHPv0
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had seen the short version of this a while ago - I have lived in the area for 10 years now and have skied at Baqueira regularly during that time with my clients and have witnessed first hand how both the town and the station have developed. Personally I love the skiing - it really sits amongst the best, however by a stark contrast I would not want to stay there as there is no real heart and soul to the place.

That being said they have done an amazing job with the redevelopment, and the introduction of new lifts and pistes, and even during the holidays there are areas that are always relatively quiet. I love what they have done at the El Refugi at Bonaigua, and I never get tired of sitting on the terrace at the Moet Winter Lounge at the end of a good days skiing.

Hope to be back again soon or certainly after the next heavy snow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Want to keep an eye on this thread as we come out to Grandvalira on 14th Feb.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Guide wrote:
however by a stark contrast I would not want to stay there as there is no real heart and soul to the place

Do you mean Baqueira town itself? I totally agree if so. Also, although I like the valley as a whole rather a lot, I'm not as completely bowled over by it as many Spaniards seem to be! There are plenty of other lovely valleys in the Pyrenees.

Quote:
I love what they have done at the El Refugi at Bonaigua

I guess you're referring to what is now the San Miguel? (The Restaurant Les Ares further down the pass is also lovely and very authentic... and even better if you club together with a mate to leave a car there in the morning, and then ski down to it in the afternoon via some great off-piste from the top of Peülla!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Les Angles at the moment. Pistes are still in good shape mostly, it's getting pretty bare everywhere else however. Temp was 21 degrees this afternoon but it's forecast to me much cooler tomorrow. Spring like conditions with great early morning skiing getting a bit soft and slushy in the afternoon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pyremaniac wrote:
Ski Guide wrote:
however by a stark contrast I would not want to stay there as there is no real heart and soul to the place

Do you mean Baqueira town itself? I totally agree if so. Also, although I like the valley as a whole rather a lot, I'm not as completely bowled over by it as many Spaniards seem to be! There are plenty of other lovely valleys in the Pyrenees.

Quote:
I love what they have done at the El Refugi at Bonaigua

I guess you're referring to what is now the San Miguel? (The Restaurant Les Ares further down the pass is also lovely and very authentic... and even better if you club together with a mate to leave a car there in the morning, and then ski down to it in the afternoon via some great off-piste from the top of Peülla!)

You are right, this was always a good restaurant, great service and certainly very different to many on the mountain. And to be honest I can only say that the new owners and the new style have only made it better - it really has changed and though it was good before it is great now.

My tip (I have been doing this with my guests for 10 years) is to start your day at Beret, in the morning the slopes are empty. Then head over towards Baqueira (stay high - no need to waste time on the lower slopes), stop for a drink in needed at the bar at 2000m before hitting the awesome slopes on the Bonaigua side. Have a great lunch then head back.

And personally - not trip is worth while without stopping at the Moet Winter Lounge on the way back to Beret.

Snow due again soon.

Enjoy one and all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am doing a car tour of various resorts in Pyrennees starting next weekend (either bed, b&B or self catering) and really looking forward to it - Les Mongies, St Lary, Baqueira and finishing in Soldeu over c17 days. Have read of good tapas bars in Baqueira, not much knowledge of eating in the French resorts and it sounds as if the food is poor in Grandvalira on piste but know nothing of eating places in Soldeu itself. Looking forward to the skiing as well as the eating just in case one thought otherwise.

Any ideas of how to get from Baqueira to Soldeu would also be welcomed please - map suggests going down from Baqueira further into Spain and then back up from Spanish side and through Andorra.
snow conditions
Quote:

Any ideas of how to get from Baqueira to Soldeu would also be welcomed please - map suggests going down from Baqueira further into Spain and then back up from Spanish side and through Andorra.

That's correct. From Baqueira cross the mountain at Bonaigua and follow road signs to Sort and then to Seu d'Urgell. From there head to Andorra / Andorra la Vella and continue to Soldeu.

As for St. Lary... I can only tell you about amazing breakfasts at les arches hotel. Man... that figcake
ski holidays
Any predictions on the snow conditions in mid February? Grand Valira section.
latest report
Skied La Mongie today, Mon 12th ,not bad overall, like most places around here it could do with a dump, there's quite a lot of snow making so the main runs are ok, but the off piste is pretty much played out, freeze thaw has made it horribly crunchy! It's nice and quite now the Spanish week is over (They get extra hols for Epiphany) . Weekends are busy, mostly day trippers. Self catering should be available, don't think there's any B&B in the resort. We run a B&B 10 k down from the resort, as this is my first post I'll probably get fried for advertising if I tell you more - but I'm happy to be advised either way by the moderators (I did'nt join for that, honest)

Any more you need to know about the resort and I'll do what I can!
snow report
Snow on the way this weekend: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Tarter-Soldeu/6day/mid
snow conditions
Wish I had known Diesel spanner as I have booked myself into a hotel already.
latest report
@countryman, Plenty of good places to eat in Soldeu, Merlot, Pussy Cat, Fat Albert's and Brussels's are all good. There are 2 good Tapas bars along with the La Palmera & La Palmera 2 which are basic fast food, couple of places that do decent pizzas.
As for food on the mountain, if you know where to go good food is available. wink
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
I am doing a car tour of various resorts in Pyrennees starting next weekend (either bed, b&B or self catering) and really looking forward to it - Les Mongies, St Lary, Baqueira and finishing in Soldeu over c17 days. Have read of good tapas bars in Baqueira, not much knowledge of eating in the French resorts and it sounds as if the food is poor in Grandvalira on piste but know nothing of eating places in Soldeu itself. Looking forward to the skiing as well as the eating just in case one thought otherwise.

Sounds great! Let us know how you get on.

A good place to try for tapas near Baqueira would be Urtau in the main square of Arties. Combine it with an exploratory tour of the village, which is very pretty. There are loads of good restaurants in the Val d'Aran. For something extra special, try http://www.casavalldemontgarri.com/ ... we did it by walking there and getting the motos back again. Must admit that we paid considerably less than the prices advertized on their site, so try haggling!

And yeah, in Grandvalira you have to look a bit harder to find reasonable food, but it's there. Try the place on the Camí de Pessons red piste in Grau Roig for great baguettes and even a more formal sit-down meal, and in Pas de la Casa there are various good places. For chips and a drink, the place at the top of the gondola in Canillo is cheaper than elsewhere.
ski holidays
Hi dieselspanner, ao12, and nunex, welcome to sH!

IT'S SNOWING!!! Finally the stubborn high pressure zone, so typical of this period in the Pyrenees, has been pushed away, and there's some proper turbulent weather coming in over the next week or so. And good news for Cerler where I'm based: it's currently a southerly, which means that we should get a dumping without it being stripped away by the evil north winds. For once, we should fare better than bloody Baqueira Toofy GrinToofy Grin.

Actually, I was in Baqueira last weekend; amazing how well they're doing over there. That place really is the snow-magnet of the Spanish Pyrenees (basically because it's geographically the French Pyrenees, ie the north side of the divide... I'm told things are even better in other French resorts such as Piau Engaly). I tried out the new Saumet area - it's got absolutely loads of potential! ...but I have to admit I'm gutted about the earthworks that have gone into creating the red piste; it seems they've blasted flat the natural canal that used to be there Mad. The sad realities of ski resorts, I suppose. I'm so glad I hiked up there during my season there, to experience it in it's pure state!
ski holidays
Woohoo! Looking good across the board on the Font Romeu, Les Angles and Grandvalira webcams- seems some degree of new snow right down to resort level. And looks like there may be some more in a few days
Accuweather's long range is still bizarrely forecasting rain but sticking with Meteo France's more reassuring freezing levels! Seems snow-forecast is offline at present...

I think we should be ok for the 31st Jan- 3rd Feb extended weekend Grandvalira/Pyrenees Orientales 4 days skiing break bar freak circumstances or a lot of rain!
snow report
Well, 30cm of fresh snow (much needed) at Gourette last night. Was all well tracked out by this afternoon when I was able to have a ski but lovely to see the fresh snow everywhere. Got to do some well needed practice at skiing bumps everywhere, even had a brief moment of enjoying skiing them before flat light came back in + thighs started to protest!

More snow predicted for this week so break from the crowds and come and enjoy the pyrenees!

More important than all that my girl was having her second lesson with ski club and came back down via the green run so very proud moment.
snow conditions
Pumba, great!

Gourette is firmly on my to-do list this year; I hear it's beautiful.
ski holidays
Good To hear some snow at last. Hope it continues for everyone. I am off to Baqueira late next week so fingers crossed!

May even go to one of the smaller resorts too.
snow report
Darren, welcome to sH! Let us know how you get on in Baqueira.

In Cerler we had a great day too; about 50cm of fresh snow on the highest parts, which made for a fun morning. The rocks are lurking only just below though, and I more or less destroyed my beloved but old and worn board. I guess that was the kick I need to go and buy new kit.

I forgot to take many photos of the resort itself, as I was too busy skiing it! But there were great views towards the surrounding peaks, including the two highest of the Pyreenes

First lifts at Cerler:

The esquí de travesía competition that's going on this weekend:

The view towards Pasolobino, with the Basivé sector of the resort at the right-hand side:

The view from Pico Cerler to Aneto (3404m) and the Maladeta Massif

The view from the Basivé coll to Posets (3375m)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pyremaniac, just let me know when you are heading over and I'll see if I'm free for a ski as well. Yeah, Gourette is lovely but my preferred would be Artouste, more locals and less tourists.
snow report
Unfortunately the predicted "big dump" that was supposed to hit us as of today has been significantly down sized. Sad

However with about 40cm on Friday, and another 5cm on Monday the conditions in the central Pyrenees are excellent. The cold temps are keeping the snow in great condition and because the slopes are quiet there is still some very good powder to be found.

Light snow forecast for tonight and continuing cold means that the canons will be running mixed in with a touch of the natural stuff.

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 50/60cm
Peyragudes: 60/110cm
Baqueira Beret: 65/140cm

Great conditions both on and off piste - and cool temps will keep us happy for a long while to come Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Yup, the forecast for yesterday issued a few days ago promised so much, but it wasn't to be... the pesky high pressure influence is back with a vengeance Sad. It's a weird one this time: usually these things tend to sit on top of Spain, but this time it's stuck out over the Atlantic (meaning that it's encouraging rather than blocking the bad weather in the Alps - which are reaping rich rewards - but has the Pyrenees on its periphery), with the result that, far from the horrible warm temperatures that come with Dec/Jan's annual high pressure period that we've just seen the back of, the resorts will comfortably below zero despite the ongoing enjoyable sunshine... yet it seems we'll be suffering an incessant northerly wind during the whole of the coming week. It's broadly the same story on both sides of the divide, but, as before, the French side will get the better deal, being somewhat colder and rather less windy.

All in all, it's time to keep the anxiety for fresh snowfall in check, and simply enjoy the good conditions that are already here. Happy
snow conditions
Oh dear, it was looking so promising and I fly out on Friday- what's the chance of it changing by then for the next 4 days after FRiday for Grandvalira/P Orientatles? Having said that, don't want it changing for rain, or so much snow during day that I can't reach the resort....picky one, me! Wink
latest report
This last week was excellent at Granvalira, with a bit of light snow and not much wind. Very high winds today have stripped most of the snow off the pistes, and closed the lifts between Soldeu and Grau Roig. The sidecountry is pretty well skied and crusty now. Not expecting any significant snowfall until the end of the week, though there's a light snow as I look out the window now.
snow report
Pity about the gale force winds shutting a lot of lifts in the Pyrenees Orientales (only handful of reds open in Les Angles, Font Romeu and Formigueres) though I see my favourite little upstart resort, Espace c'Ambe d'Aze, so sadly lacking in snow and open runs compared to others in early season has sneakily now opened 5 reds, prob due to superior wind protection and only one of its lifts not being a drag!

Seems the snow predictions are nicely ramping up a little for Thurs and Friday, nice timing if it comes off as we arrive in Barcelona Airport on Friday evening. Luckily the house in the Pyrenean village we are staying in for all but 1 of the 5 nights is only at 568m, so should hopefully not have to faff around with chains at midnight. Just hope that the winds die down enough to make the most of any new snow.
snow conditions
I'm not looking at the winds (maybe I should) but my weather app says there will be a big dump in El Tarter this coming Friday Very Happy

Our first day skiing there is 15 Feb Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
I'm not looking at the winds (maybe I should) but my weather app says there will be a big dump in El Tarter this coming Friday Very Happy

Our first day skiing there is 15 Feb Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Yes looking good! As a rule the Grandvalira chairs seem remarkably wind resistant, today for example there is only 1 link closed. The modern heavy chairs must be very stable!
snow conditions
Bloomin cold and windy today in Baqueira. Sunny though. Fairly good off-piste with small snowfall last night. Local bulletins forecasting something more serious for Thursday night.

I like this resort a lot, but my gripe is opening hours of restaurants. How on earth am I supposed to survive without food until 8?
snow report
We have a big cooked lunch on the mountain then a large snack in the evening, knocked up from something bought at local supermarket.
snow conditions
wyspa wrote:
Bloomin cold and windy today in Baqueira. Sunny though. Fairly good off-piste with small snowfall last night. Local bulletins forecasting something more serious for Thursday night.

I like this resort a lot, but my gripe is opening hours of restaurants. How on earth am I supposed to survive without food until 8?

I have been skiing there for the last 10 years, it is a great place to ski, but as resorts go it is pants. No heart, no soul, just a sprawl spread across various parts of the mountain. You can understand why so many people stay in Vielha.

Living just across the border in France we have good night life and you can eat at a logical time - however I always love my tapas day out and when ever I take my clients to ski at Baqueira we always have a great time. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Ski Guide, yes, I should have said I like skiing here, but not the village itself. It's rather uninspiring. That's why I stay in Vielha. Also significantly cheaper. Good selection of restaurants here, but before they open I often end up in a bar drinking beer and having some tapas instead of proper dinner as I would prefer.

Speaking about the French side. I popped over to Luchon for a day and a very good day it was indeed. Small place but hugely enjoyable. Especially those ungroomed blacks. I wasn't even bothered too much by the ancient lift system. One of the draglifts which led to some blacks was actually fun in itself. Totally wild shooting people high up in the air, then a lot of bumps during the ride up where you could practice jumps or watch people tumbling.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy