Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend ski wear for a newbie skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm new to skiing and envisage skiing once a year as a hobby. I've been looking around for what ski wear to buy, I figure I'd want to pay max £200 for a jacket and around £120 for trousers.

I've read a bit in the forum and everyone suggests to go for goretex which seems to bring the cost of a jacket to around £300, as I figure I won't really be skiing too frequently I could get away with leaving goretex out.

The North Face seem to have a good range for my purposes, there seem to be a lot of variety of similar jackets in the various stores: EB, S+R, SheActive. I've found a couple that I like with the difference being whether they have insulated lining. For example Nastasha TriClimate Jacket, PHD (Ins) Jacket or the Stance jacket.

Does anyone have any advice on;
- am I right to think that I can get away with paying £200 for a jacket and leave out goretex
- should I buy a shell only jacket or get the insulated jacket which probably would save me a small bit of money rather than buying a seperate extra layer if getting shell only
- what brands of thermal / mid layers would suit my purposes and budget
- how many set of thermals should a newbie buy
- is there anything else I should be thinking of (goggles and gloves I have already for christmas presents, lucky me)

Appreciate any help.
Thanks, K.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads !

You can hire jacket and trousers/salopettes for about £30. S&R sell off loads of stuff half price in early April so you could get much better gear by buying then if you hire first time round (also you will only have lost the hire charge in case you decide skiing's not for you)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
khaleen, welcome to snowHeads, and welcome to skiing!

The type of skiwear you need partly depends on the time in the winter that you ski. For the past 25 years I've used uninsulated skiwear, which can be fine if you mainly ski in spring or late spring, when temperatures can often be near or above zero.

By layering (using variable layers of thermal vest, tights, roll-neck shirt (nice for the neck) fleece etc.) you can then insulate for comfort. Using highly-insulated skiwear in mild temps can be sweaty.

Effective waterproofing is invaluable when it's snowing (especially with wet snow) but you can usually get away with an outer shell that sheds moisture - which doesn't necessarily demand Gore-tex.

High quality socks (high wool content, nice and high, properly fitted to foot - not tubes) and excellent gloves are as important as a good jacket and pants. A good ski hat (most are rubbish) is nice too. Don't compromise on these vital comfort items.

So I'd invest plenty in gloves, socks and hat to achieve the right balance for what you spend on your jacket - if you've a maximum budget for the lot.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hiring may indeed initially be a good plan (for the Jacket amd Pants), but just in case you want to get your own stuff, here's a few answers...

Quote:
- am I right to think that I can get away with paying £200 for a jacket and leave out goretex

Yep, I have an expensive goretex xcr jacket (Arcteryx) which is great, especially when it's chucking it down with rain (I ski lots in Whistler!), but also have a DNA jacket made from whatever the DNA/Descente proprietry material is. I haven't used it in pouring rain (though it is apparently 20000mm waterproof - the higher the number the better on waterproof stakes, 10000 is pretty waterproof I think) but for all other conditions it's fine, and it cost less than half what the Arcteryx one did (and less that £200)

Quote:
- should I buy a shell only jacket or get the insulated jacket which probably would save me a small bit of money rather than buying a seperate extra layer if getting shell only

I'd recommend a shell, and a seperate insulating layer, that way you can easily adjust to the conditions.

Quote:
- what brands of thermal / mid layers would suit my purposes and budget

I have M&S Merino wool ones - much cheaper than branded ski ones and work great snowHead For T-shirts I got some technical hiking ones from the Mountain Access (YHA?) shop - again cheaper than branded skiing ones and work well.

Quote:
- is there anything else I should be thinking of (goggles and gloves I have already for christmas presents, lucky me)

Socks - get proper thin skiing ones (Thorlos, Bridgedale, etc), expensive but you really do want your feet to be in good condition. You don't need thick socks to keep your feet warm - the boot liner does that. If you cut off circulation by wearing thick socks you are guaranteed cold feet.
Hats - most of your heat goes that way - personally I wear a helmet

Don't get an all-in-one suit - sure they stop snow going down your back, but that only happens to me when I crash in powder, and for the rest of the time you'll have to put up with looking stupid wink snowHead
Braces/dungaree things look stupid too, from a form not function perspective avoid them too wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome 1st post

Gore tex is not nessecary as it only outperforms other fabrics when you bring water into the equation, there are plenty that are more breathable but they will not beat it for breathabilty AND waterproofness. So unless you like skiing in a downpour, and most don't, this is why you don't need Goretex.

Anything from a polycotton type fabric with a showerproof finish is ok. You will need a high neck and probably hood. There is a tendency to get away from hard shells, typically XCR, and go soft shell which can be cheaper. You still need it to keep you warm in a blizzard tho'

So get decent warm underwear/base layer, good mid-weight fleece and a shell and you should be good down to -15 or so quite easily unless you suffer from the cold or are standing around way too much... If this is not enough just add another thermal base layer which should be the cheapest part of your clothing. A decent fleece lined, as opposed to a fabric lined trouser which may reflect the cold, should do away with long johns type thermals but again if you need to add this warth layer M&S and Milletts UK;s stuff is all usable. Dry gloves and socks every day, good fleece hat and you have pretty much got it covered.

You can pay all sorts for base layers just make sure it is not cotton..!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi kahleen and welcome Smile

Thermal long johns!!! Seriously snowHead

Usually I wear:
* socks
* thermal long johns + vest. No underwear Shocked
* salopettes and jacket (OK, now I have a hard+soft shell)
* hat
* gloves

If it's very cold I have a wicking sweater too (but a fleece is fine)

If you perspire at all then try to avoid any cotton underwear.

Socks: thin thermals
Vaude thermal lj's + vest (the vest just looks like a lightweight blue sweater when you take off your jacket for lunch)
Warm hat that can cover the ears is essential to keeping warm. You may want to consider a helmet if you like skiing. Also maybe a cheap fleece neck roll.
Gloves - go for goretex ones as you should look forward to a few rolls in the snow - which although they're good fun can get your hands wet if you don't have decent gloves.

HTH
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
also see: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11224
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With that budget you are up in luxury really, anything you buy should be more than adequate, and if you hit the end of season ales you could buy pretty much anything you like. But just so you know it is possible to do for about £100. £25 salopettes (decathlon 500 range), jacket £40 (asda/aldi/decathlon/tkmax/sports sales), socks £10 for two pairs (decthlon 700/800 range), gloves £10 (decathlon, self heat range), nameless balaclava hat, some £2 long sleeved tops from tescos, aa £4 fleece from tescos.

I've skied in this gear, I also own a £200 columbia suit, and a £200 columbia jacket and helly salopettes (£120), and an old ski suit from macro for £40 and some proper technical base layers. In normal 'once-a-year come in if it gets too snowy' use all the various combos are pretty equal, so I'm a big believer that for the average intermediate on piste skier most of the supposed good stuff is well overpriced and not really necessary. If anything I am usually too hot in leggings/t-shirt plus suit and jacket.

However that pink down jacket in northface is very pretty Twisted Evil

aj xx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I totally agree with the posters above. You would only really feel the benefit of technical outerwear if you were to be skiing in fairly unpleasant conditions, which I wouldn't recommend to a beginner anyway.

In most other conditions you will be slightly more comfortable in more technical gear, but it won't make a huge difference to your day to day skiing.

Shells are good for flexibility, but you do need to have the insulating layers to go underneath them, otherwise for a beginner I would go for the all in one option. At your budget you should be able to get something that is breathable and waterproof.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow thanks for all the info. It's definitely enough to get me going and for all the others who are about to eat snow for the first time.

Cheers, K.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
khaleen, You really don't need to spend even that much. You must have T shirts and thin jumpers?? They'll be fine so long as they tuck in (not the little fashion items obviously). Otherwise an anorak doesn't have to be particularly good quality if you're just starting, neither do your salopettes. Don't you have an anorak in your wardrobe already. If so that's probably fine. You've probably got leggings or trackie bottoms - they'll do under your salopettes. Lots of thin layers are what you want - I'm sure if you check out your wardrobe you must have lots of suitable gear. What's worth spending money is are goggles and gloves. For these you really do get what you pay for and are worth spending a bit more money on. Gloves because your hands may get wet as a beginner and then they get really cold. Goggles because if it snows you really can see lots better with them, and good ones don't steam up, which cheap ones often do.

You'll have lots of fun, become completely addicted, and can spend more money later on when you ski more and longer and higher!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of the warmest hats on the market is the Lowe Alpine mountain cap. Versatile, breathable, flaps can be folded up and the peak buttoned back. Ranges from £20 - £30 depending on shop. Most mountaineers seem to wear them Confused

http://www.joebrownsnowdonia.co.uk/mtn_hat.htm
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They do come in more muted colours though Very Happy As one reviewer put it - fantastic hat but you do tend to look like an extra from Deliverence and have to resist urges to shout "squeal like a pig, boy" hehehe
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let's try not to confuse anyone here. An insulated jacket, is the cheapest way to go while not sacrificing performance. Yes high tec layers are more efficient, the right layers under an insulated jacket will also be essential but is unlikely to be too warm, even in April. There will be lots of standing around and waiting, and falling over, and snowballs. Twisted Evil

Goretex is the brand name for fabrics that are laminated to try and combine the holy grail of outerwear, totally waterproof but can breathe the moisture that we produce as we produce it. Non laminated jackets are nearly always insulated, they are far more breathable than Goretex XCR, which is 60% more breathable than Goretex, or eVENT fabrics. They however aren't anywhere near as waterproof as a laminated fabric. So you loose one as you gain the other. It all depends on what you need from the jacket.

If you perspire lots naturally your clothing choice becomes even more of an issue. If you hike or skin then you need the performance of technical fabrics. So if you're none of those people and you only use your jacket for skiing then it doesn't need to be laminated, unless you luck out you shouldn't get heavily rained on, Even if you did it wouldn't be so bad, 10 of 000s of skiers wear non laminated ski gear every winter. All non-laminated jackets cope fine in a blizzard as long as the external temperature is cold, I guess below 2 or 3*.

Other than that, what everyone else said ^^^

You're in for a very expensive shock. Not with the outfits now but how it will take over your life... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hehe - yep - buy cheap clothes and save the money for the extra week holiday you'll find yourself trying to squeeze in snowHead aj xx
ski holidays
Hi - personally I would not use a hat on piste - use a helmet - if you get used to it - then it wont bother you. However a hat wont save you from a bang on the head a helmet might.

I have been skiing for the first time in 15 years and I am very glad I got used to playing ice hockey with a helmet on, it has already saved me from one knock that would otherwise have been at best quite sore.

As per above I would suggest your first season use a layered approach - and we used asda for me - wife n kids, how ever my wife then got me an aigle thinsulate jacket for me for Christmas - but it is warm - only a t- shirt needed underneath so far.

I only wear sports short under the skipants and that is warm enough for me.

Enjoy it - it is fun.
ski holidays
My advice? For your first year, borrow what you can or a cheapie equivalent but invest in a good jacket. As you progress (& hopefully become totally addicted) build up your ski wardrobe on an ongoing basis. Additional benefit is that your gear will wear out at different intervals which means you won't get hit having to rebuy the lot in one (bank-breaking) shop.

Have fun & welcome!
latest report
My advice? For your first year, borrow what you can or a cheapie equivalent but invest in a good jacket. As you progress (& hopefully become totally addicted) build up your ski wardrobe on an ongoing basis. Additional benefit is that your gear will wear out at different intervals which means you won't get hit having to rebuy the lot in one (bank-breaking) shop.

Have fun & welcome!
snow report
Go to TKMAXX!!its the best place for cheap ski wear, a quicksilver or saltrock ski jacket can cost as little as £39.99!!Then theres maier, columbia, lowe alpine....all brands!!
ski holidays
an expensive outfit will cost as much as a whole holiday. Ski-ing with husband and three friends last week, we worked out that combined cost of our jackets\trousers/suits was £50. All waterproof and breathable, some ex-hire, some charity shop... if you have spare money, spend it on good, well fitted boots. My BESTEST outfit is TKMAXX, including goretex gloves, cheap cheap cheap. Spending big money on ski clothes is fine if you are loaded. Otherwise, don't bother. My season ski pass cost less, bought in the "promotion" pre-season period, than a Spyder jacket. A lot less. And don't forget that nothing looks dafter than someone in £800 worth of the latest gear, who can't ski for toffee. Only the Brits, on the whole the worst skiers in Europe, are obsessed by expensive gear.
snow report
Definitely TKMaxx, friend skied for first time at Christmas, he bought gloves, jacket and pants , all good quality , and even matching for less than £80.
snow report
Quote:

gloves, jacket and pants , all good quality , and even matching for less than £80.

Fantastic. why do some people pay so much? are they fantastically rich? Or fantastically gullible fashion victims? The cost of a new top of the range ski outfit each year would go a very long way to paying the mortgage on my apartment! And where do those top of last year's range outfits go? To the charity shops.....
ski holidays
pam w, I regularly replace my teenagers gear from there, nearly always Quiksilver stuff or similar. Hubby however wears a very nice Spyder Aspen jacket he got in Canada (it was much reduced though).His previous stuff was a Descente jacket from a hotel skiwear sale 9 years ago, ciost £60 instead of hundreds. I'm surprised Slush and Rubble stay in business.
snow report
There's a quite good article on skimania.co.uk . Just here: http://www.skimania.co.uk
ski holidays
My goodness - 2005 vintage thread - someone's gone digging deep - there is now also a newby ski gear sticky at the top of the forum for anyone new that is interested in this subject.
ski holidays
Guessing by the gap of 3 years (probably due to masque's thread) that Bonehead, has something to do with said article.....
snow conditions
Selly_39 wrote:
Go to TKMAXX!!its the best place for cheap ski wear, a quicksilver or saltrock ski jacket can cost as little as £39.99!!Then theres maier, columbia, lowe alpine....all brands!!

Helen Beaumont wrote:
Definitely TKMaxx, friend skied for first time at Christmas, he bought gloves, jacket and pants , all good quality , and even matching for less than £80.

WHat they said, you`ll get the works form thick socks to base layers to jackets. I almost got myself a new smart Berghaus jacket when I was in for 50 quid bargain, down from about 180.
latest report
khaleen, you could always start off with a cheap outfit because it's difficult to know what to buy when you first start skiing.

Layering up is definitely the best. My first ski jacket weighs a ton and when you ski, you generally want light clothing that doesn't inhibit your movement.

If you take a look at the usual temperatures for the resort you're going to at the time of year you're going, you'll get an idea about how waterproof your clothing needs to be. For instance, if it's usually -15oC, it's unlikely you'll get very wet (since it's well below freezing point). Lower slopes are usually wetter.

...and everyone seems to buy from TKMaxx these days!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kill_reign, Snowy, I think the OP has solved their problem, check the dates wink. I suspect Bonehead, is just trying to get traffic onto that website, which is actually pretty good
snow report
If there is one item of clothing i would recommend. A good pair of waterproof and breathable salopettes or trousers. I spent 4 seasons with a wet bum and sweaty legs, till i saw the light. Coz as a begginer either skiing or boarding at some time you will be sitting on snow. Also lift seats can be wet.

Jackets gloves and layers can be bought cheaply enough from outlet shops and all the stores people above have mentioned
ski holidays
What about buying a ski jacket & pant set? You can pick these up pretty cheap, so they are perfect for first time skiers (see link below):

http://skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Dare_2b_Ladies_Avenger_Jacket___Elevation_V_Pant.html

Noticed these guys also do complete set with jacket & pant and accessory pack (but no thermals are included)

http://skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Ladies_Avenger_Jacket_Elevation_V_Pant___Accessory_Pack.html

Seems to be a variety of colour choices and styles. Might be worth a look.

Other than that maybe hit TK MAXX, but it could be cheaper for you to hunt out some bargains online.

Where's everyone off to this season? Very Happy
ski holidays
ditzydiva, when I first read that I thought you were recommending people bought fartbags!!!

Nendaz and Val Thorens snowHead
snow report
My Burton one is fine, it's been through the vast majority of conditions (including ridiculous rain as I live in Wales) and it's still going. Cost me £35 on ebay.

Salopettes are a £30 pair of Oakley ones morethanlikelyoffthebackofatruck from ebay.

Stuff only has to be expensive if you want it to be.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy