Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unwanted Change of Location - Montgenevre to Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

The wonderful or should I say not so wonderful Crystal Ski have just informed me I can no longer go to the apartments I booked a year ago in Montgenevre (Le Hameau des Airelles) and have offered me Residence L'adret in Serre Chevalier. My question is therefore 3 fold.
1..What is Serre Chevalier like for intermediates?
2. Has anyone stayed in Residence L'adret in Chantemerle - there are worryingly no reviews on Trip Advisor for 2014 apart from a couple saying it was shut!! I am also concerned that there is availability at this late stage (we go 28th Dec)
3. Can anyone recommend a ski school in Serre Chevalier not ESF for English speaking private lessons for children?

Any advice truly welcomed.
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiMumof2, last I heard Adret was closed indefinitely, and it was certainly closed for the whole of last season, but I can make enquiries for you to see if it has been reopened. New Generation and Ski Connections both have English speaking instructors. Serre Chevalier is a great place for intermediates and families.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, and I would ask them if they can book you into the apartments in Hameau de Rocher Blanc instead, they're better apartments and are not across the busy road (although there is an underpass)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, Thank you so much for your quick response. If you could find out about the apts that would be great - Crystal have them as a 4T and quite clearly told me they had them all last year but obviously this wasn't quite the truth. I will look onto those ski school and the other apartments - thank you. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiMumof2, the place was definitely closed. I was told it was closed for safety reasons by someone who looked after some apartments there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That is pretty outrageous if Crystal are making such claims when the place was closed Evil or Very Mad

I'm sure one of their directors is registered on snowHeads - I'd strongly recommend a PM. If no satisfaction then, dependent on the outcome, update the forum (if you are comfortable with that).

As for Serre Chevalier - it is a great place for intermediates. Some awesome skiing and a real sense of travel throughout the valley in and out of larch forests. Chantemerle is a charming village with good uplift and download.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cacciatore, i've had a look around, my contact isn't online this morning, so haven't been able to find out any more information. The apartments are listed on Erna Low too, but interestingly, if you try to book one, it gives you alternatives but not the Adret. It was definitely closed last winter, but suppose they will at some point be planning on opening it again, but it was still well and truly shut over the summer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sorry about the problem SkiMumof2. Can't help with those accommodation queries but it sounds bad and I hope Crystal sort it out - there have been quite a few reports of this kind in the last year or so, with TOs making unilateral changes to arrangements made long before. But there are loads of Snowheads enthusiastic about Serre Chevalier - not heard any negatives - hope you have a great holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Thanks for your comment. I'm just so annoyed that it took me so long to choose our original apartments which were ski in / ski out and now I'm offered apts which are a walk away from the lifts. I have spoken to Crystal again this morning and funnily enough when I questionned them about the fact the L'Adret apts were shut last season they admitted maybe they had got it wrong about having them last season!!! Reading between the lines I think they have overbooked and I'm the unlucky victim to get moved out as they say I was last to book that type of room (I booked in December last year so not sure I believe them!!). Really don't know which way to go but hands are tied to limited locations as we want to fly on 28th Dec and most flights to France are early 27th Dec. And so the search goes on.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiMumof2, Although it is a walk to the lifts it isn't really that far, and you can leave boots and skis down there. Hameau de Rocher Blanc is closer though, but still no ski in ski out, very little accommodation in Serre Chevalier is, although that doesn't mean it is inconvenient.
If you rent equipment through Jules Melquiond which is the closest ski shop to Adret apartments, they have a room down by the lifts with boot heaters etc, which I think is free for hired equipment, and a small charge for your own.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SkiMumof2, I have had another Google, and came up with this from Zenith Holidays website. http://www.zenithholidays.co.uk/france/serre-chevalier-winter/Residence-l-adret/

Quote:
stop-press: The accommodation changed owners so was not available for the W13/14 season - hoping to get it on sale for W14/15
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SkiMumof2, What reason have they given for not offering you Le Hameau des Airelles? I'd be cross if I'd booked that well in advance and didn't get it as it is one of the best value residences we've come across.

If you want to stick to Montgenevre I'd ask them to change your booking to Le Chalet des Dolines which is close to Le Hameau des Airelles and more luxurious. (Although H de A is really nice anyway).

I don't know Serre Chevalier so Hells Bells will help you there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, I feel a bit more reassured now - thank you! I think as long as they can guarantee the same size apartment it should be fine.

snowymum, - I was so cross to receive the e-mail yesterday (I noticed they waited till they had received full payment before telling me!!). They keep changing their story as to why but the latest is that the owners have reduced the allocation and as I was the 'last in' I'm the first out!! But as I said I booked nearly a year ago so I'm not sure I believe this!! Unfortunately Le Chalet des Dolines is not available now.

wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiMumof2, I think if you have paid in full for accommodation you should not be obliged to change accommodation. They should be giving you the option of your money back.

I think they should also offer alternative accommodation in your chosen resort of Montgenevre. The Napoleon apartments would be another option - if they are not fully booked too.

If you are happy to go to Serre Chevalier then maybe its not the end of the world.

I think I would be going to the Head of Customer Services about this. If you went to the trouble of carefully selecting a resort and apartment some time in advance they should really be making more effort to give you a few alternatives not just one. Also surely they would have booked your apartment with MMV as soon as you booked the holiday?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SkiMumof2, if I hear anything more, I will post in here.
ski holidays
Find another operator you are happy with, get full refund from Crystal or demand a discount that makes it ok. They can't unilaterally change where you are going and the facilities you can expect and hang onto your money, so negotiate a better deal.

For as long as they are able to swap people around like this without any penalty (and indeed could well be benefiting from moving you out of expensive accom into cheaper etc) they will continue to do this to consumers.

Last time this happened to me with a TO I negotiated all kinds of additional discounts for our group which meant I could go to everyone with "bad news, we are not staying where we thought we were, good news I just saved you all £150" - that makes it ok.
ski holidays
SkiMumof2, Simon Cross is apparently (or was) the MD of Crystal and has posted here from time to time (53 times, apparently). He posted under his name.

I would certainly consider sending him a PM outlining your concerns, He seemed, when posting here in the past, to be genuine in listening to issues if they appeared reasonable (and to me, yours does).
latest report
+1 for what Cacciatore says.

Simon Cross registered here to deal with a very similar situation to yours - and appeared to deal with it to everyone's satisfaction.
snow report
Has anyone else had this problem with this accomodation on these dates, with any other TO? I booked to go there on those dates (booked last january) with Nielson, wondering if i'm going to be moved after reading this thread.
latest report
SkiMumof2,

If you were last in and so first out why only in October do they tell you ?
Obviously they have made a mistake and you should be disgusted ask to speak to the most senior person there if no joy ask for the MD call their bluff demand they find you either equal accommodation and a discount or better accommodation.
Threaten to go on places like Twitter about your situation and ask on twitter for them to explain how you were last in and only told so 10 months later with just 2 months before you are due to go ) if you are not at least 100% satisfied with their solution. ( It is amazing how going on twitter really scares the twits who normally deal with this stuff).
ski holidays
So my saga continues. It seems there is no alternative flying out on 28th Dec so they are looking at trying to get original holiday reinstated although not sure how - will know more tomorrow. In the meantime I suggested I could go half term week instead but of course prices are ridiculous that week so probably won't get any further with that alternative. So I though about Easter - does anyone know / would recommend Les Arc at end March/beginning of April please?
ski holidays
SkiMumof2, sorry to read this. I would just say that Feb Half Term week is a fair swap for New Year week but Easter is not; you will be doing them a big favour if you accept a swap to Easter so I would only do this if it really suits you better. There are other operators, have you explored your options with them? and then get a full refund from Crystal. Good luck.
latest report
sarah, I think there is only Crystal/Thomson who do the Sunday flights to Turin, but no doubt there are Sunday flights to/from other aiports and resorts

SkiMumof2, not good at all.
snow report
I was tempted to book with crystal this year after nearly 13 years of promising i never would again. This reaffirms my decision not to go with this shower.
snow report
Hells Bells, I think Thomas Cook fly the route too on a Sunday so that would be Neilson holidays. Agree though Turin flights are rare Sad
latest report
SkiMumof2, Les Arcs should be fine end of March/early April but as sarah says prices are much lower then so not a fair swap, pricewise. However, it's a great swap in terms of holiday quality - Easter, if it's not too late, is a FAR better bet than either New Year or half term - both ferociously crowded. Maybe you could get a swap to Easter plus a big chunk of money back?
snow report
pam w, I'm going for better quality accommodation/resort if I go for Easter - like you say prices are much cheaper so am making sure I get my money's worth!! Don't want to go down the route of getting a refund if I can help it as I'm sure they's find some way of not paying it!!
snow report
I think you will almost certainly be entitled to a refund if the holiday is less. They should be refunding you something already (or offering extras) as compensation for the inconvenience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ 1 for Hells Bells suggestion ^^^

SkiMumof2, if you go for this then make sure you get stuff thrown in, maybe passes, lessons, hires etc.
ski holidays
We did an Inghams holiday to Serre Che earlier in the year. Flights Gatwick to Turin on a Sunday. We thought it was a fantastic area to ski, absolutely loved it.
ski holidays
Being New Year week it looks like there is very little available for a Sunday flight. SkiMumof2, fingers crossed they find you something. Does this mean Adret apartments are not opening in December?
snow report
@Hells Bells, The Adret apartments are opening - however I am sticking to my guns and not accepting it as an alternative as I specifically booked ski in / ski out and don't see why I should compromise. I booked early so I could get what I wanted so I think Crystal should offer me the equivalent or better not something lesser. Will see what they say today and let you know Puzzled
snow report
Thomas Cook do fly that route on Sundays. Flight is very early though. 6:15 from Gatwick!!!
snow report
@SkiMumof2, sorry, I misunderstood for a minute, as you made it sound like that offer had been withdrawn by Crystal, and the holiday was no longer available. I can understand your disappointment. I was asking as I had heard of someone else waiting for a booking to be confirmed there. They're travelling with another operator though.
latest report
@SkiMumof2, when I had a quick look the other day Crystal were showing a very nice looking hotel in Serre Chev still available, not sure if it was ski-in/out but looked nice. I agree they should offer you something equivalent or better, not worse. Good luck.
latest report
It pays having friends in high places as my original holiday has now been reinstated Very Happy - not sure how but I'm not questionning it. Thanks for all your help Very Happy
ski holidays
So they were just winding you up ?
ski holidays
Haha! Are you Mrs Cross, by any chance...? wink
snow conditions
@Cacciatore, Ha ha - not Mrs Cross but very good friend's of the wife of someone who works very closely with Mr Cross!! wink
snow report
Fair play to you, then, SkiMumof2 Toofy Grin

Glad you managed to get it sorted Smile

And looking forward a new thread being started by some disgruntled punter who just got bounced in Montgenevre Laughing Laughing wink

BTW, you should get a day in Serre Che on your ski pass - do take the opportunity, if it takes you/your family. It's a fabulous ski area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy