Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher ski accident: Journalist retracts GoPro allegation

Poster: A snowHead
The French journalist - Jean-Louis Moncet - who alleged that Michael Schumacher's head injury may have been caused by the helmet-mounting of his GoPro camera has now withdrawn the claim ... Reuters report ...

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/schumacher-accident-idINKCN0I42U620141015
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh oh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
$$$$$$$$$$
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would have thought that it was pretty obvious that anything attached to the helmet that either reduces the ease of rotation/skid or spreads an impact over a smaller are is going to increase the risk. As any fule kno neither of those things are helpful. I'd love to see GoPro sue and lose Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oooh a thought occurs. GoPro respond to allegations by releasing a new easy break-away mount to address concerns. All rush to but the £20 accessory which'll lead them to lose their cams prompting more sales. Mmmmm delicious! START THE CONSPIRACY ENGINE!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An analysis of GoPro's rodeo-ride share price ... by Deutsche Welle ...

GoPro's wild shares not tied to Schumacher ... it says ...

http://www.dw.de/gopros-wild-shares-not-tied-to-schumacher/a-17997747
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that they've a point, people seem hugely underwhelmed by the new GoPro offering - Nobody cares about 4k yet - the biggest news in their last product launch was the sub-£100 entry level unit, but everyone went and bought 3-blacks last year so why upgrade?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"GoPro's cash flow and EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) are healthy, with gross profits reaching $199.4 million (154.9 million euros) on revenues of $480.3 million in the six months ending in June."

Enjoy the ride but nobody maintains those kinds of margins very long and certainly not in something as easily copied as a camera.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dogwatch wrote:
"GoPro's cash flow and EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) are healthy, with gross profits reaching $199.4 million (154.9 million euros) on revenues of $480.3 million in the six months ending in June."

Enjoy the ride but nobody maintains those kinds of margins very long and certainly not in something as easily copied as a camera.

I'm no fan-boy, I don't even own a GoPro, but I have played with others via work and although the concept can easily be copied it's clear that R&D makes a considerable difference.

For example:
Drifts, Sony and Garmin are too big or heavy for helmet use.
Contour went bust so big questions over warranties.
Polaroid (and its licensed copies) suffer software glitches.
Numerous Chinese cheapos present problems with software, lens quality and reliability (just roll the dice).

I'm keen to see what Shimano's effort is like but from what I've read, using it is overly complicated.

I don't think GoPro will be around forever but at the moment they're definitely ahead.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just been given these for my birthday -

http://www.zealhd.com/
(HD video cam goggles)
I don't know if they are any good. I'll post some stuff when I've had a chance to use them.
They weren't my idea but will save me from the tellytubby impersonation / helmet safety compromise
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh GoPro are The camera, no doubt, everyone else is a country-mile behind - It's practically a verb. Since it got borg'd by FoxConn any suggestion that it could run out of money is moot - they could buy and sell the rest of the competition 3 times over. But I still thing the form factor is laughable, and anyone copying their "design" is just as bad.

And for the record, Contour are back in business since finding a White Knight and honoring warranties from the original cameras.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster, I got a pair of them for Christmas. The output is OKish, but seems to struggle with very bright light. They are also less versatile - only one mount (obviously) and no ability to do camera on a stick stuff. However, the fundamental problem is that I don't have a lot of interest in editing movies of myself skiing and no-one I know is particularly interested in watching them! Much more interested in still photography, myself
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Arno,

That sounds right. yes the lack of versatility is a big compromise and I'm with you on the editing front. But TBH I tend to think the camera-on-a-stick selfie stuff is inexcusably narcissistic Very Happy so I wont miss that. Most of the stuff I'll take will be of my kids and mates - following down or looking back up the hill. I also agree with you on still photography although no one I ski with has the patience to set up action shots well and I seem to be far more interested in landscapes than most people!

Definitely a niche bit of kit but my wife decided since we've committed to lots of skiing (bought a place Happy ) I'll probably get the use out of them. We'll see.

J
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster, they a pretty good as goggles though!

generally agree on the camera on a stick stuff, but I do really like this group photo which was taken with a gopro on a stick

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albinomountainbadger wrote:
I don't think GoPro will be around forever but at the moment they're definitely ahead.

Sure. But it isn't long since Nokia made nearly half of mobile phones and Crackberry used to be mandatory amongst people who now wouldn't be seen dead with one. Everything can be copied.
snow report
That's the thing at the moment, everyone is copying gopro but no-one has bettered them. Nokia didn't suffer because Apple copied them, the iPhone blew their product out of the water.

Someone will do the same to GoPro eventually - maybe with Google's Glass - but they're sitting pretty fending off imitators.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
And for the record, Contour are back in business since finding a White Knight and honoring warranties from the original cameras.

This worries me though. I don't know anything about their rescue other than that it happened, but if an investor picks up a bankrupt company they usually seem to asset strip, so maybe they are just there for valuable copyrights? And if Contour should continue to lose money, how long will someone who has no passion for it throw their money away?
latest report
Well, while they may have just bought it for the IP, but they've just released new products to market which aren't just old stock re badged so that shows some commitment to manufacture and honouring the warranties acknowledges those who did take choose Contour over GoPro when they could've easily weaseled out of it. I still think that the rotating camera within the bezel is the 'killer' application over FPS and resolution.
snow report
The standalone POV camera is not going to be here forever. Maybe as we've had the IPO it's a sign that we're already past peak GoPro. My guess is that we'll end up with remote cameras with smaller form factors recording directly to smartphones. Now whether that's Apple or GoPro or Sony or whoever deliver that is the question. There's a big reason to not incorporate it too much into wearables - a goggle company owner I spoke to said no chance they wanted to go anywhere near GPS/nav or video as the warranty issues/price points would necessitate an entirely new business model.
ski holidays
Surely the next big thing will be personal drones following you down the slope; I'm sure I saw a thread here recently Very Happy
snow conditions
Just had a vision of all the drones over the people going back into Val d'Isere down vert at the end of the day; pure chaos in the ground and air!
snow conditions
stevew, IFIRC correctly a pilots licence is required to fly a drone in France!
latest report
boredsurfin, so it'd be only OK if a French person was doing it but not a foreigner Very Happy
ski holidays
A French lad has already been prosecuted for flying a camera drone over Nantes. Interesting to see what happens to all the Brits who bring one out as a season toy.
latest report
It seems to be happening in all sports now (for those interested in horse riding) - http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/news/item.aspx?id=5110
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy