Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorbike gloves for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, new to the forum and I have question and I haven't yet found an answer online (but maybe I just haven't been searching correctly) Puzzled

Back story: Basically I've been skiing all my life, but having recently become a student my parents no longer pay for my gear Crying or Very sad
I wanted to get a motorbike next year and was looking into the costs of moto gear when I saw that second hand bike gloves are relatively cheap and very sturdy. Having done competitive skiing I do make use of those knuckle protectors which many bike gloves also have. Additionally last year I met a man on the ski lift who claimed he had always skied in his motorbike gear, (it was warm and safe and he claimed he had never wanted or needed anything else). sorry for the long background story...

My question is therefor if it might be a good idea to buy some second-hand autumn bike gloves instead of fancy ski gloves?
I was considering a pair of: "Alpinestar Gp pro gloves" which I might be able to get second hand (still in perfect condition) for 50-60EUR, they would also come in handy should i choose to get my license next year, is this a good idea?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TBH I used to snowboard in motorbike gloves........

Everything went fine until I put them on a boot room radiator and melted the little finger Embarassed

I too was under the impression, if they can protect me at 70mph on Tarmac, they can sure protect me at 30-40mph on snow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RoddyT, When there was a weird "shortage" of good leather racing gloves with waterproof membranes available I was contemplating bike gloves which seemed to be of remarkably similar construction and in some cases (Dainese, Alpinestar) made by the same brand...

Might find the gauntlet cuff a bit high?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You'll be fine. I've skied plenty of times in motorcycle gloves (until they were stolen!) and jacket. The jacket was particularly good in that all the different layers (thermal, waterproof, shell) would zip in and out so you could easily adjust it to the weather and your needs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kieranm, Mrs UANN uses motorbike inner glove heaters. We find the two cable harnesses for plugging into a bike's 12v loom a little redundant while skiing though.

I can see your jacket being rather good too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RoddyT, Whatever works for you . . . I wear cheap (very cheap) lightweight industrial work gloves from a hardware store. Reason being they're dirt cheap 8-12$, they're tough, breathable, usually indistinguishable from branded ski gloves, sometimes come with a second pair free and I have very warm hands and don't need half an inch of insulation.

Caveat: I always carry a pair of pukka winter Thermaloft gloves in my pack just in case . . . but I've yet to wear them in 10 years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TBH, I've used my skiing gloves for riding the bike in winter but I've never used my bike gloves for skiing. The ski gloves are just that much warmer. The only bike gloves I've got which beat that are the "pathan" style lobster-claw ones.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RoddyT wrote:
My question is therefor if it might be a good idea to buy some second-hand autumn bike gloves instead of fancy ski gloves?

It generally isn't worth buying fancy ski gloves... they're nice and all, but there are plenty of much cheaper options out there. My only concern would be the warmth of your motorbike gloves, cos you might end up with chilly fingers if the temperatures drop far enough.

You'll probably be fine. Maybe you should just get the biking gloves, and if it looks like it will be -20 when you go skiing, pick up some cheap mitts before you go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for a pair of "lobster claws"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am sure they would work - I would question if they would be much better than a decent deal from TK Maxx though at the right time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pete_Berks, ^+1 - Decathlon have perfectly decent ski gloves starting from £4.99 (although I'm not sure I'd ever go quite that cheap)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu, Just seen you are just down the road from me - hope you are enjoying a day of it not raining atm !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pete_Berks, Indeed - Dry so far and no flooding yet this winter!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, Lets hope we manage to stay without flooding for the winter, that is rather optimistic round here though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Pete_Berks, Indeed - Dry so far and no flooding yet this winter!

Autumn didn't start till 23rd September. We've got a bit of a wait for winter yet Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy