Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Ski wax slows you down" - Swedish scientist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New research into the performance of cross-country skis is claimed to demonstrate that waxing them actually slows them down.

Leonid Kuzmin, who will submit a doctorate thesis to Mid Sweden University next month, has tested the performance of skis with and without wax. He has concluded that skiers can achieve highest speeds by relying on the inherent low-friction properties of modern 'high molecular weight' plastic ski bases, rather than coating them with wax:

"It's a myth that you have to wax your skis" he says. "The waxed skis glide slightly better from the beginning, since the ski wax reduces friction, but after just a short while the wax has gathered so much dirt that the waxed skis glide slower. In some experiments this occurred after only 200 meters and in others by 3.8 kilometres at the latest."

Kuzmin has a background as a ski trainer and technician, and made his discoveries party as a result of observing his wife Antonina Ordina winning bronze medals at the 1995 World Nordic Ski Championships.

This report from ResearchInSweden.se.
-----------------------------------------------
This is the first time I've encountered this theory. If it proves sound, would it also apply to alpine skis? Have ski technicians on the World Cup downhills and slaloms ever experimented with unwaxed skis ... or has the 'wisdom of waxing' always been accepted as standard?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-12-05 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given that he says:
""The waxed skis glide slightly better from the beginning, <snip+paraphrase> but slow down by 3.8 kilometres at the latest."
I'd not expect this to be a problem in racing (as long as they don't use the 200m wax) - but it may affect recreational use.

Does the wax offer any wear protection?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why should a wax base attract more dirt than an unwaxed one?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
==========================
WARNING GEEK SPEAK COMING UP
==========================

well to begin with on alpine skis, they use the wax to help with the structure, and brush virtually all the hot waxed on stuff out. this takes all the dirt/junk with it, leaving a "fast ski". The remaining wax is a minimal amount and helps to smooth down the poly-fibres of the ski base.

Cross country skis with scales etc, have a lot more wax applied (per unit area) and more relevently left on the ski even after brushing. Cross country trails are usually in low lying areas, with a track made by a machine, in the sun for longer etc. the snow is inherently "dirtier" than a world cup "ice rink" piste which is watered/injected and slipped to get to good clean snow/ice. race pistes are aslo usually on north facing slopes away from the sun and are at a lower temperature. for indoor snow (nera zero snow temp and dirty snow) and for spring snow the base material, and structure is faster than any wax.

there is also a certain reduced amount of dirt pickup due to the speed difference. A cross country skier is more lilkey to encounter melting friction (or already water topped snow due to the sun) and hence the dirt is at the surface. An alpine downhill racer experiances more shear friction in the snow, and the snow does not have as much time to "melt". In this case the dirt is embedded in the snow crystal/corn.

The alpine racer also wants the wax to protect the ski form wear (base "burn") as the more agressive snow + speed really chews up the base.

Both types of racer also use fluro overlays (teflon powder to you and me), which bond to the top wax layer. Whilst this might only last less than 3.8km, that is at least as long as any downhill i know of. 20km race distance is possible for cross country skiers.

Interesting research though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia wrote:
why should a wax base attract more dirt than an unwaxed one?

the boundary layer of the wax does actually melt, and is softer than than ski base, and hence collects dirt.

a ski base collects some in the structure, but at a lower rate.

As in my post above, cross country races use a softer (higher snow temp wax) more often, which picks up dirt faster than harder wax.

For ref, swix CH4 (-20 or below) will not pick up any graphite if any attempt is made to rub it in, but CH10 (0 to +10 C air temp) will absorb it virtually without needing to apply any pressure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Economist has picked up on this story and explained it in their own words, which are a model of clarity:
http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5300005
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh. So wot slows you down isn't the wax, it's the gunk that collects in the wax!!!

Conclusion = only ski on clean snow. And if that's not possible, then regularly clean off old wax and replace it with clean wax. Hang on, isn't that old advice? Shocked wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not use MrSheen ?

It certainly makes our vynyl covered kitchen floor so slippery as to be lethal when
a bit is sprayed on accidentally !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Cross country skis with scales etc, have a lot more wax applied

as a novice cross country skier I was told, both by the guy who sold me skis, and an instructor, that skis like mine, with scales on (used by beginners or receational skiers using the "classique" style) need not be, and should not be, waxed at all. They are very low maintenance. The skis used for the "skating" style are the ones that are waxed, but as far as I know they don't have any scales.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bernie wrote:
Why not use MrSheen ?

It certainly makes our vynyl covered kitchen floor so slippery as to be lethal when
a bit is sprayed on accidentally !

Always did for dry ski races - don't know if it works on real snow mind Happy aj xx
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,
Quote:

as a novice cross country skier I was told, both by the guy who sold me skis, and an instructor, that skis like mine, with scales on (used by beginners or receational skiers using the "classique" style) need not be, and should not be, waxed at all. They are very low maintenance. The skis used for the "skating" style are the ones that are waxed, but as far as I know they don't have any scales.

Waxless skis (with scales) are not waxed with grip wax under the foot, but are waxed with glide wax at the tips and tails.

Waxing skis for classic are waxed under foot with grip wax after sand papering- the size of the wax pocket is determined by the paper test and the pocket used for klister is shorter than the pocket for hard waxes. The tips and tails are waxed with glide wax as per waxless skis.

Skis for skate are waxed over their full length as per downhill skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy