Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or la rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am looking for some information regarding the above and which would be best for me and the wife. We just want some guaranteed snow and some nice easy blue runs to pass the day with as much varity as possible. If the above do not match any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What time of year? (Winter is not an acceptable answer).

Avoriaz certainly fits the requirement. I don't know La Rosiere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry first weeks January
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to both more than once prefer la ros no lift queues quieter slopes link over to la thuile provides more than enough pistes for a week and some nice off piste if the mood takes you, although if I was going to suggest an area have a look at the Grand massif great places to stay and a really good ski area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Variety is not one of the strong points of La Rosiere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do not like many of the blues at Avoriaz, there seems to be loads of very narrow runs that often got icy in places, with big drops on both sides. However it is higher with a much larger ski area linked in to the whole of the Portes Du Soliel. I would describe Avoriaz as bleak but many people enthuse about it.

I prefered La Rosiere, which is much prettier, with generally wider pistes, and although its linked to La Thuile in Italy (Espace Bernardo) in good weather, the ski area is generally much smaller than PDS. It is also largely south facing with all the pros and cons that brings.

The two resorts have a very different feel, Avoriaz is a purpose built resort that looks and feels just like that, with a fair amount of ski in/out, La Rosiere, although largely purpose built, feels more traditional (particularly in the Les Eucherts area) with less ski in/out

Hope that helps.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-10-14 9:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We just want some guaranteed snow and some nice easy blue runs to pass the day with as much varity as possible.

Are you sure that's all you want? I'd have thought if you'll be skiing blues that you'll maybe appreciate someplace with a bit more going for it than just guaranteed snow. Maybe someplace with some nice scenery, possibly someplace with some trees and nice places to have a relaxed lunch in the sunshine. That kind of thing.

You haven't just had a bad experience of poor snow have you?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guaranteed snow, a bit of variety and nice blue runs?

Belle Plagne. High, some ski-in/out and much that is almost that. Access to much more terrain if the snow is good.

Whilst purpose built, it has a fairly nice villagie feel in the centre. There are some decent restaurants and a few pleasant bars.

Not much to add to the La Ros comments, having been there. It is a bit samey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi olderscot
Yes you are correct , getting old,nice wide blue runs nothing to difficult.
Scenery would be nice, trees and good eating would all be preferable however I have had some problems in the past with snow and wish to avoid this possibility.
Thanks
John
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnbushrod, Grand Massif IMO... Will suit you down to the ground... Stay in Morillon or Les Carroz...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"nice scenery, possibly someplace with some trees and nice places to have a relaxed lunch in the sunshine"

hard to go wrong with the Portes du Soleil for that.

Morillon a little low (generally, I know there's a 1,650 or something) and probably up and downloading by bubble most of the time. I'd prefer Avoriaz myself and I, anyway, find it rather attractive architecturally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Being a frequent visitor to La Ros , have a place in Ste Foy , it will meet your requirements only problem is it is above the treeline , not great in cloud , and can be windy with no place to hide in bad weather , highly likely in the first weeks of Jan , if however you were talking Feb or March I'd say go for it .haven't been to Avoriaz so can't comment .

I would say somewhere like Peisey/Vallandry would suit your needs better , trees, height , great runs and pretty .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loved Avoriaz when we went this year. Lots of nice blue runs in the Avoriaz sector without need ing to get the PDS lift pass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, just my opinion...

Hated Avoriaz and for wide cruising blue runs you'll struggle to beat La Plagne. Seen Cacciatore's recommendation for Belle Plagne above and couldn't agree more.

Does it have to be France ? Italy is brilliant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi
No definitely does not need to be france anywhere that fits the bill would be great where in Italy would you suggest for snow sure wide easy blues with scenery of course and good food !!!,
latest report
I'm a huge fan of Sauze d'Oulx.

People will comment on snow security but we've always been blessed. Loads of tree line runs, mountain restaurants like the Ciao Pais are just brilliant (avoid the bigger eateries) and a nice traditional resort with a couple of excellent restaurants (Del Falco in particular). The reputation of a 'stag' resort has stuck but we've not seen much evidence of why. Better food & drink (quality & cost) than France and a lot quieter on the slopes.

PM me for specifics if you wish.
snow conditions
Another vote here for the GM and Les Carroz! As you are going in January, it's nice to have some trees to duck into when the weather closes in. Take a look at the a Milk Hotel, on the piste above the village. Friendly, cosy rooms and nice food.
I have been to La Rosiere, which was a nice village, but I think the GM offers more variety skiing wise.
ski holidays
johnbushrod, monte rosa not a bad call, Champoluc the best village.
snow report
Anyone know anything about cervinia ?
snow report
johnbushrod,
Was just thinking someone should recommend Cervinia

Snow sure (glacier) and meets most of the rest of your requirements - you may even do some reds - they are pretty easy ones!
snow conditions
I don't like Cervinia much.
ski holidays
Cervinia , def a no no first two weeks of Jan , it could be very cold and if the weather is bad it could shut down for a couple of days . I personally have been in Jan and only skied two days of seven said never again persuaded to go again and the same thing happened , wearing googles when walking down the high st is quite unpleasant .You seem to be looking at really high open ski areas when for the early weeks in Jan I personally would be looking at medium height resorts with lots of trees , it's Jan the days are short and it can get really cold , windy and stormy .
ski holidays
Anywhere can have weather problems. I've been in Saalbach when it was -26. About the same as heading from Cervinia over to Zermatt on one occaision! Also Alpe D'Huez during a snow drought and Avoriaz when it snowed everyday for a week!

If the OP wants snow sure and easy blues - Cervinia meets those requirements. Anything else is in the lap of the snow gods
snow conditions
johnbushrod wrote:
Hi
No definitely does not need to be france anywhere that fits the bill would be great where in Italy would you suggest for snow sure wide easy blues with scenery of course and good food !!!,

Folgarida in the Brenta Dolomites and get the full pass to ski Madonna di Campiglio. Loads of very easy blues and cruisey, easy reds (like French blues to be honest). Great food (quality and value)/, fabulous scenery, friendly/welcoming and a bit of a gem, IMO.
snow report
Cacciatore, but, again, a bit high and exposed for January
snow conditions
Les Gets ? as part of the Portes de Soleil
Peisey - Les Arcs
Sauze D'Oulx
All good cruising fair, and have done all in January...

Am interested myself hearing about some of the comments on La Rosierre...am going there myself the 2nd week of Jan (10th)...train into Bourg.
Am concerned a little about some of the weather comments...am used to January weather...but perhaps have been lucky...5 out of 6 clear days in past few years in Les Arcs, Val D'isere etc.

Is La Rosiere any worse than other local areas to Bourg? should I be changing to another resort nearby (still possible, but train is booked)

thanks in advance...for any putting mind at rest!
snow conditions
soberade,

About weather comments , let me just clarify . La Rosiere is just on the tree line so all skiing above apart from one tree lined run below towards Seez so on Snow/cloudy days it can be difficult , the link along the Petit st Bernard pass can be prone to strong winds , but if it's windy in a france it will be ok in Italy and visa versa.
It is the luck of the draw it could be a sunny week . La Rosiere is great in Feb and March .

Personally you would be better off in Les Arcs/ Peisey it gives you options .
ski holidays
Rob Mackley,

Thanks for this, have done Les Arcs/Peisey and loved it but repeated it few times in last couple of years, so wanting something different, and then head back to Les Arcs next year.

I am not averse to the Cold - have done Norway in early December...
But of course would always favour sun and no wind!
However I and OH do like Tree-Lined runs...but a requirement was Ski-Train - hence Bourg (Last Year did La Tania)
Will keep fingers crossed that can get over to La Thuille, and if not may put down to experience...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morzine is better than Avoriaz imo as you can easily access the Pleny mountain, which I think has better variety of slopes. The runs down to Le Gets are long and cruisey.
snow report
johnbushrod, I think La Rosiere would be fine for you although you would need to ski a short red to get over to the Italian side and get the most out of the ski area. However I think Les Carroz would suit you better. It should be snow sure enough if you are going in January and has pretty wide tree lined runs. There are also several lovely mountain restaurants.
latest report
Hi
I really would like to try some of the resorts suggested for instance Les Carroz looks nice (is run back to village easy?) however am really frightened about the snow conditions was in corceheval 1600 last year at the same time and by end of week runs to resort where really icy and the run down to La Tania was un usable which is at 1500 I believe. I realise there is not an answer as the weather cannot be predicted I just dont want to ruin our one week a year if it can be helped.
latest report
johnbushrod, There is one easy blue back to the village - I think it is Combe. The other run is easy blue at the top and red towards the bottom. If conditions weren't right at the end of the day you could take the gondola down.
snow conditions
johnbushrod, book late then. That not a very high season week, although it is Russian orthodox New year I think.
ski holidays
Belle Plagne would be hard to beat for "ski convenience" and probably a fair bit more snowsure than some of the other places mentioned.

However, have you thought of waiting till much nearer the time to book? That's a quiet time and if you book at the last minute you can be more certain of snow and choose on the basis of some of the other "nice to haves".

Are you going to buy a package from a TO or arrange your own travel and accommodation? If the latter it would be hard to beat Les Saisies, but there is no sensible way of getting there without your own transport.
ski holidays
Hi
Booking late is a good idea never deared try It, I suppose there will always be somewhere available, any secrets to this or is it just the usual travel agents ?
ski holidays
johnbushrod,

Almost certainly something available. Definitely though, hedge your bets now and buy flights (they're the constraint, accommodation is plentiful).

Geneva gives you all of the haute and not savoie and is doable for Aosta. Probably your best inbound airport for choice.
ski holidays
johnbushrod, your key requirement is good snow. The only way to be reasonably sure of that in early January is to go to one of the high resorts and, frankly, there are much better places - if it's cold they can be bleak and windy and generally a bit miserable and if you are not fast skiers it might not be easy to get yourselves to somewhere more amenable and lower down, with trees.

Yes, there will always be somewhere available given that you don't have very onerous requirements. There is a lot of late availability online and it's always possible to get quick opinion here on Snowheads about the options available. Takes a bit of nerve, though, to wait till the week before travelling!

However, late booking is really applicable mainly to Tour Operator packages. If you were going to arrange your own travel and accommodation it would be better to book flights now. And apartments will be cheap then anyway - owners will leave them empty rather than sell them at silly low prices.

Which airports would you prefer to fly from? That can be the problem at the last minute.
latest report
Le Rosiere was my first ski holiday abroad so will always be a bit special.

We were there for Xmas/NY 2009 and I've never had so much snow fall in a holiday week since-shame I couldn't make use of it at the time Toofy Grin

It was quiet with no queues the whole time, found the Italian side more interesting IMHO.

Cracking resort

BUT

Since then I've moved on and experienced quite a few more resorts-I'd agree with everyone else re: La Plagne,it has so many long and cruisey blues, a massive ski area in its own right and you can also go over to Les Arc. Things may have changed but I found Le Ros to have quite a few tows. Guess it boils down to what you want more, a bit of variety and sense of travel or quite slopes no queues but may find the variety limited.

FWIW I've been to LP and LA in January twice and both times it hadn't snowed for sometime and was dry, sunny, and not particularly cold.
ski holidays
johnbushrod, in the same ski area (Portes du Soleil) as Avoriaz, you will likely find Les Gets better for nice, cruisey blues (and similarly nice reds). The blues in Avoriaz tend to get a bit crowded, and the terrain is a bit bleak. And you can always go there from Les Gets, by just crossing the lift system in Morzine...

I prefer the Avoriaz bit of the area, but then I like the off-piste accessible from Avoriaz, rather than the pistes, which I found short, dull and busy compared to other parts of the PDS. Blue 34 from Avoriaz to Prodains being the exception - one of my favourite end of day runs anywhere. Long-ish, pretty, accessible off piste and down to the best lift in the whole resort, the new Prodains gondola. You would like that run, I think. Some good places for a vin chard on the way down it, too, and it is in a stunning setting...
ski holidays
I think all the people suggesting Les Gets is that it is much lower than Avoriaz. In the first weeks of January I'd stay in either Avoriaz or at a push within a hop of the Super Morzine gondola to get up to the higher runs easily.

If it's anything like last year then the lower slopes really were bare with the bottom of Zore having the grass visible through the base. The runs back to Morzine were no more than an ice base and were full of terrified beginners.

It's all dependant on whether you're there to just ski or whether you want the town conveniences of say Morzine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy