Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Hire ski's the same as Retail?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Do not start a fat v thin discussion again please!

BUT

Are Hire ski's built to the standard as ski's in the shop for purchase?

For example if I hire (for arguments sake) a Rossignol B2 will it be the same B2 that I can buy in the shop, or are ski's manafactured differently for Hire shop use?

I appreciate that bindings are another story.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon they are in most cases, though there are "made for hire" skis, such as those you find at snow domes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:
...if I hire (for arguments sake) a Rossignol B2 will it be the same B2 that I can buy in the shop ....

NO! (it will have those little rubber handy-dandy tip protectors on it, that you cannot buy for love nor money for your own Bandits). Mad Razz

Otherwise they certainly looked the same to me (but maybe the hire ones have got chipboard underneath the varnish) Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rental skis run better over rocks etc wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, sometimes you find a ski that has been especially made for rental, but usually they are the same, although of course rental bindings are a tad heavier than normal bindings. I prefer rental bindings as they are much easier to adjust, I don't believe the extra weight makes any difference to the ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst working in france last season i found out that they are generally the same skis but do not have such a polished finish.

For example. The Head ixrc800. For rental it doesn't have the textured top sheet and glossyness that the shop skis have.

The guy in the test centre told me that this is a way of keeping the cost of skis for the hire shops down.

So on first appearence they look the same and in fact are the same in construction, but if you look closely the rental pair will not have the same finish.

I am not saying this is the case with all makes models and hire shops, but certainly true for Ski Set in La-plagne
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bindings are also different, hire bindings have a wide range of adjustment, adding noticeably to the weight.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Pretty much if you're going for a "proper" ski as you mention. What is different are the base rate hire skis like the Dunastar Agyl, which are rubbish, and not available to buy. I haven't noticed the difference FastCarver, mentioned, but that's only cosmetic anyway and therefore irrelevant. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, when you say basic hire skis are "rubbish" they are still alright for total beginners to get the basics aren't they? I only ask coz I am taking the wife skiing this season and she will need to hire. Would rather not have to pay the extra for "silver" skis if I can help it!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the ice perv, basic hire skis will be fine for your wife. Anything better will just be a waste of cash. Hire skis are generally in very good condition as they are serviced regularly.

People that buy skis are generally intermediate skiers , and therefore beginner skis are no good to them( hence people saying they are rubbish), as they have a soft flex and are very forgiving. However a soft flex and forgiving ski is EXACTLY what a beginner needs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks FastCarver, I agree a basic ski is all she needs, but I gather easiski is an instructor so I was wondering if they knew something in particular about the Dynastar Agyl, as that is probably the ski my mrs will end up with....?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv another way to look at it; as with all products, some ski brands are bottom of the heap. That's not necessarily to say they're compete cack/unsafe/etc, just that they're not worth the money in comparison to what you get with other brands.

So as an intermediate looking to purchase skis that will see you through a few seasons, [b]you[b/] probably [i]should[i/] turn your nose up at whatever brand is bottom of the heap. But since your wife won't have the skill for brand to make any real difference, there's no point her paying any more than necessary for a rental and so the bottom of the heap might be, well, at least not INappropriate for her first week or so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, Some rental places might give her a free upgrade (or reduced) if she progresses quickly during the week. You can ask if that happens - and pick a part of the day when the store is quiet eg mid afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv, I don't like those basic hire skis even for beginners. Beginners need to feel the ski turning for them to gain confidence, so they need a ski that will help them. Whereas ski like the head Big Easy or the Dynastar Agyl are easy to ski on they don't give you any reward for doing it well or any solid feeling from the edge. I really do recommend that you get her a decent but short pair of skis. I suggest something like the Volkl 320 or the K2 Four (a bit last year I know) but only at shoulder height. That way she'll learn much quicker. I hope you're not putting her in 12 in a class ski school BTW.

Manda, It's nothing to do with Brand - only model. All ski makes are fine, just some models are better than others. I used to like to put beginners on the old Head Cyber Space (extrememly shaped), but there aren't any around any more. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It's important that the beginner learns right in the first place "the ski turns you, you don't turn the ski". You can do it just as well in a crawl speed SP turn as faster - how much better not to have to unlearn pushing the damn things around!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FastCarver, "People that buy skis are generally intermediate skiers" ???

D'you reckon? Most skiers I know are 1. good/competent/recreational skiers and 2. buy skis. Most intermediates I know hire skis.

Why your comment? (Not wanting to contradict, just curious me wink )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy