Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains in Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seems odd to me but most of the Norwegian car hire firms do not rent out snow chains with their cars (they all have winter tyres).

From what I can gather (I may be wrong) from a quick internet search, it is not usual to carry snow chains in Norway if you have winter tyres fitted.

Is this right? Seems odd. Anyone have any experience of this sort of thing?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME, winter tyres in Norway means tyres with metal studs
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What we/you consider as a "winter tyre" might not be acceptable in Norway.

There are "winter tyres" for Nordic conditions - these are either with metal studs or with much softer rubber compounds.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mooney058, thanks. The Norwegian firms are telling me that all cars have winter tyres fitted, so I'll assume that the car will come with appropriate winter tyres for Norwegian weather. Won't help with the fog, though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't always expect a car with studded tyres, especially if hiring in Oslo. On studs, there's very, very little need for chains with them since they grip ice like nothing else and the soft compound makes light of the snow. If it is studless, only the most polished of icy surfaces should give you trouble and if it's deep snow studless performs better in most circumstances!

Don't remind me I've got 8 winter tyres to put on in the next few weeks...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, we've hired cars from Oslo airport on numerous occasions and have always had winter tyres (no studs and no chains). The first time we used them we were pretty nervous but arrived in Lillehammer late at night and sailed effortlessly up some very steep and icy hills. We've had some snowy and icy conditions since and have found the tyres coped very well even coping with a steep, icy track to a hutte we rented near Geilo.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The nick name for studs in Norway is pigs, Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The nick name for studs in Norway is pigs, Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nailzstomp, thanks. Enjoy putting on the winter tyres. Welshcakes, thanks for the reply. Gives me some confidence. Any advice on driving in Norway would be appreciated. From what I have read, seems to be quite civilised compared to driving in the rest of Europe. Apart from the snow, ice and elks. Or is it elk?livetoski, do you know why "pigs"?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dobby, be light on your right foot, the rest is easy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"piggdäck" is Norwegian for studded tyre.

Speeding fines in Norway are HUGE and the drink dirivng limit is very low.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyperkub, cheers. I'll be taking it easy. I saw that some Norwegian sportsman got sent down for drink driving.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Keep to the speed limits - if I remember correctly 80kph on single carriageways and 90-100 on duals. Stiff fines for breaking the limit. If stuck on an icy bit, a higher gear and don't spin the wheels (always makes me laugh every time on UK news when you see some nutter lighting up their tyres in order to get traction). And yes, you wouldn't like to meet an elk on the road. Also watch out for deer.

As for "pig/piger", that's just the language, think it's Norwegian for spike if I'm not mistaken.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, keep an eye on the speed limits and observe them would be my advice after a very expensive speeding ticket last time I visited
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've hired cars twice now up in Tromso which is considerably further North than Oslo and cars all had studded tyres.

In fact I never thought about the lack of chains rolling eyes

I drove to Riksgransen in Sweden after messing around in boats ski touring etc

We also on the way back just stopped off at a place we liked the look of on the drive down and just skinned up and had a great descent - so many options............................................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy