Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US law firm "investigating" GoPro. Two safety issues cited

Poster: A snowHead
A law firm in Seattle has released a news statement saying it is "investigating" whether GoPro cameras affect the safety of ski helmets (partly in relation to allegations made by a friend of Michael Schumacher) and the signals of avalanche beacons ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152785898245761&set=gm.1501100886843345&type=1&theater
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So it begins...... rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sell, sell, sell Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

A bunch of opportunistic ambulance-chasing scumbag vultures in Seattle has released a news statement saying it is "investigating" whether GoPro cameras........

FIFY
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please tell me there are not going to be law suits against GoPro... FFS!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Down 17% in three days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gopro will respond saying

"Sorry no claim as the battery life is so bad by the time they got up the mountain the device would be flat and wouldn't interfere with anything" Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am investigating starting a lawsuit seeking compensation for the hours I have spent watching poorly edited gopro footage of people slaying flat groomers Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
I am investigating starting a lawsuit seeking compensation for the hours I have spent watching poorly edited gopro footage of people slaying flat groomers Evil or Very Mad
Ho ho.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

A bunch of opportunistic hedgefund scumbag vultures who have aggressively shorted Gopro have encouraged their lawyer mates in Seattle whose firm has released a news statement saying it is "investigating" whether GoPro cameras........

FIFY
Very Happy

RFIFY
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Top tip: Go Pro don't force you to wear a camera...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This again?

BCA put it to bed years ago:
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2012/11/19/issw-2012-avalanche-beacons-and-electrical-interference/

I've witnessed those tests being repeated with similar results. As they say, you can screw up a receiver with quite a lot of things if you want to. I'm looking forward to the law suits against Apple for the iPods and whoever for the GPS. And don't even start on the mobile phones. Guides I ride with generally advise people to turn off mobile phones (useless anyway), but not other electronic devices (cameras, radios etc).

I'm fairly sure that if you swallow a GoPro it will hurt quite a lot too. The instructions definitely don't point that out - perhaps your American lawyers could have a go at that one too?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
timlongs wrote:

And gopro state on their website

"Always select a helmet that meets the applicable safety standard when you use with a GoPro helmet mount."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
timlongs wrote:

And gopro state on their website

"Always select a helmet that meets the applicable safety standard when you use with a GoPro helmet mount."

And so say all of us!

Why do some people feel they are entitled to issue writs against manufacturers/other people when s**t happens?

No one ever forced them to buy/purchase/wear the product, this in my opinion is what is wrong with the world & solicitors/lawyers who offer their services on a 'No win no fee basis' are Bottom Feeders who work on the assumption that manufacturers will pay up rather than go to court.

I say stand up to the low life, fight tooth & nail & eventually they will give up & crawl back under their rock NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
michaelbury17, +1

too many people not willing to face up to their choice.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
michaelbury17, +1

too many people not willing to face up to their choice.

Unfortunately that appears to be the truth together with the possibility of getting a cash payout ...unethical, immoral but hey just my opinion!

In the long run we all pay because insurers will up the premiums, so guess the only winners will be the low life solicitors/lawyers who appear to thrive on other peoples misery..shame on their profession!
snow report
michaelbury17, have you felt put out by these charlatans? Traumatised perhaps? Don't just suffer. Call me for a no win no fee damages claim. Twisted Evil
latest report
i don't understand why people mount them on their helmets anyway, as most helmet mounted footage is rubbish. The footage posted here of a race in Austria last year, with camera mounted on the shin was excellent.

The question of "is the safety of a helmet compromised when holes are drilled in it and a bracket is attached?" Durr.

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
i don't understand why people mount them on their helmets anyway, as most helmet mounted footage is rubbish. The footage posted here of a race in Austria last year, with camera mounted on the shin was excellent.

The question of "is the safety of a helmet compromised when holes are drilled in it and a bracket is attached?" Durr.

Madeye-Smiley

part 1 answer. because the head and body provide a very easy and no-cost way of stabilising thr video footage.

part 2 answer. Most people dont drill holes to mount a gopro or other camera.
snow conditions
will be interesting to see how ruroc get on with this as they have an in built mount?!
ski holidays
dode wrote:
michaelbury17, have you felt put out by these charlatans? Traumatised perhaps? Don't just suffer. Call me for a no win no fee damages claim. Twisted Evil

Absolutely, I can't believe how low some people will go to extract cash & I believe in being open & honest, trouble is the slugs crawl out from under their rocks & use their skill & knowledge to threaten people/companies with the law.

Ultimately they in turn take legal/professional [sorry I do struggle with this as they all attend the same lectures] advice & take the easy option ie: offer a cash settlement.

And let me ask the question: who pays for this in the end?

So clearly I must be traumatised but have no desire to issue proceedings, i will & can fight my own battles. Cool
latest report
For snowboarders helmet-mount is almost completely useless, although that doesn't stop people trying it. Poles are more common -they too do not come with idiot health warnings. "Insertion of this pole into your eye socket may damage your ability to read this health warning".

If you're truly scared by all this (I think no one here is that daft), then one of my snowboarding mates will sell you one of these:
http://www.prostandard.com/
It will not prevent damage to your dentistry should you stuff yourself in the face.
ski holidays
ansta1, stabilizing an image? really? as people ski they look about, and when you do your go pro does too.
snow report
thecramps wrote:
ansta1, stabilizing an image? really? as people ski they look about, and when you do your go pro does too.

Your neck muscles are attached to a nice feedback loop that helps keep your face, uh, facing the right direction. It takes a bit less effort to use those to keep the camera pointing in one direction than it is to, say, use a chest mount and ski competently.
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
Why do some people feel they are entitled to issue writs against manufacturers/other people when s**t happens

Absolutely agree, but on the other side, if they are selling something you assume it's safe to be used, at least the way they tell you to use it (which mounting on helmet obviously is).
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Why do some people feel they are entitled to issue writs against manufacturers/other people when s**t happens?

Because they are.
ski holidays
philwig, I'm going to disagree - I've filmed plenty of stuff from a head mount on a snowboard and prefer it, You just have to be a bit more aware of where you're looking and what you're shooting to keep it in frame, while keeping aware of whats going on around you. Saying that I do have a pole I'm going to try this year, and depth perception is over-rated in my book.
snow report
Perhaps I've just not had the pleasure of the good stuff - care to post an example or two of people snowboarding with helmet mounts?

Personally I often ride with both a pole and a helmet mounted camera.

I'd expect you may find that at a resort "keeping aware of what's going on around you" involves turning your head, making it hard to get anything other than short segments.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig, I always try to keep cuts short. Most of the time I track others keeping them the object of focus - I have loads of shots of friends riding/skiing but very little film of myself because of it... Did have some success with a board mount last year with the Contour facing fwd and then back and angled up in a 'Selfie' style.

As is traditional for any cammer, I rarely end up doing much with the footage, so I actually find myself filming less and less these days despite the kit being much simpler to use (and carry...AND get through customs) than my original bulletcam rig I put together 10 years or more ago.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

Because they are.

Fair enough, just my opinion.

I love it that we are all different & have a choice in life, enjoy the snow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

Because they are.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of law. They are entitled. Whether they can win is another matter.
snow conditions
dogwatch, Legally entitled is one thing. Whether it is morally right is another matter completely.
ski holidays
The enabler for many of these lawsuits is no-win, no-fee lawyering, about which I feel conflicted. On the one hand, why should only the affluent have access to the law? On the other hand, there's a financial motivation to settle rather than fight and that in turn motivates dubious claims.
snow report

yeah....

but of course no helmets are actually put through the safety tests with a gopro mount in place are they? You have no way of knowing if the combination of mount/camera/test would pass the "applicable safety standard"
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/DVQ4NK63txM
snow report
ansta1, looks pretty stable to me... Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/mgj_uW1fH3k
snow conditions
thecramps, nowhere did i say other mounting options weren't or couldn't provide a stable mount!
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

Because they are.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of law. They are entitled. Whether they can win is another matter.

Like I said we are all entitled to our opinion & as in life we are never all going to agree, thats life!
ski holidays
All they are doing is suing. they only want to see if they affect the GoPro sales/share price and hope goPro pay them to shut up.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
thecramps, nowhere did i say other mounting options weren't or couldn't provide a stable mount!

I didn't say you did did I?

I was just suggesting an alternative mount that IMV produces a better film anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy