Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt or Lech?? Advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
My family and I are travelling to Europe from Australia in January and I am super excited about experiencing some European skiing for the first time!

Dates ...
• 10th-17th Jan

Who's going ...
• Me: Intermediate snowboarder who loves speeding down the mountain BUT I am looking to transition to skiing
• Partner: New skier who has progressed quickly to an early intermediate
• 15yo daughter: Competent intermediate skiier
• 10yo daughter: Timid intermediate skiier

My 10 year old will be booked into ski school for the majority of the week, and my 15 year old, partner and I will spend the week skiing together. We have skied successfully as a group down many of the intermediate runs here in Australia and throughout Big White in Canada.

I am looking to transition from snowboarding to skiing and am planning on getting some lessons prior to going in an indoor ski centre locally. I will also get some lessons on our holiday. If I find the transition difficult when I get to Europe, I may just revert to snowboarding and save the transition for another time. Europe for us is a long way to go and I want to make sure I get the most out of the trip.

After discovering there are an overwhelming numbers of resorts throughout Europe (especially compared to what we have here in Australia), I have narrowed it down to 2 - Lech and Zermatt. These both work well with our travel plans and I really don't want to throw any others into the mix. I did look at St. Anton's as well, however from what I have read it is more suited to intermediates to advanced. I understand this is also the case with Zermatt, however Zermatt seems to have other appeal in terms of character and overall experience. ( I have also watched some of the runs on YouTube and they look awesome for my level of snowboarding ability).

This is what I understand from my research.

ZERMATT
• Ski runs are impressive and best enjoyed by confident intermediate skiers
• Good beginner areas are available, however they are limited and difficult to get from one area to another
• A lot of transit on lifts/gondolas/trains is involved
• Getting around the village and to lifts from accommodation can involve a lot of walking or waiting for buses
• Can be very cold in Jan
• In a deep valley, so sunlight is limited and days are short in Jan
• Runs seem to generally be well packed and well groomed
• High altitude which can affect some people
• The village has a lot of character and a reasonably active nightlife
• It's all about the experience and the scenery - which is unrivalled
• Link to Cervinia, but may not get across there depending on the weather

LECH
• Ski runs suit a wide range of levels (a broader range of runs to suit us)
• Beginner/Intermediate runs available to get across the resort to other lifts
• Great potential for powder
• Good exposure to the sun (potentially more daylight across the resort)
• Small village and reasonably easy to get around on foot
• Closer to ski-in ski-out experience
• Slow nightlife. (While some nightlife is good, this is not critical as generally we are so exhausted from the day of skiing, we are happy to just relax in the hotel)

So my dilemma is which one?

Logic says "Lech" as I imagine we it would be more suited to our various abilities and being easier to get around for us, I imagine will give us more time on the snow. However being such a big trip and not being sure of the next time I will get back over there, I am also very intrigued by the magic of "Zermatt". Even though it may be more difficult to get around, have potentially harsher weather, there may be issues with altitude, and we may not get to fully explore it's skiing potential, it looks stunning and is still a place I would love to experience.

Thanks to anyone for reading my rant and any thoughts would be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spaceleggo, Some thoughts on some of your thoughts.

As far as altitude and sun goes I would not worry about Zermatt, the resort is not particularly high and few people will get bothered by the altitude of the runs. The sun goes quickly from the valley (as it would in Lech) but the slopes that you are skiing on are open and will be fine for most of the skiing day.

The night life is no slower in Lech than Zermatt.

Both are wonderful places to ski and I have really enjoyed both areas. However in your situation my own preference would be Lech, particularly if booking well in advance. Lech has a superb record for snow whereas Zermatt can sometimes be a bit scratchy in early January. If you are hoping to meet up with family before/after lessons or people are having different lessons Lech's layout facilitates this whereas getting up and down from the village and between different areas can be time consuming and a protracted experience in Zermatt. Lech also has somewhat better gentle slopes for the early intermediates without losing out on more expansive slopes for the better skier. If you liked the sound of St Anton it is included on the Lech lift pass and is a short free bus trip away.

Both places have plenty to offer and given ggod snow I'm sure you would have a great trip to either, but my preference would be for Lech, it's a fabulous area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
For me there is no contest. Zermatt has the magic in spades. Lech is a very good ski resort but Zermatt is magical.
Just my opinion having been to both.
Mike
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spaceleggo, Welcome to SH!......on the other hand I'd recommend Lech every time, have skied in both resorts Lech many weeks and Zermatt 2 weeks only much prefer Lech, which is also linked to Warth/ Zurs/ Stuben and St Anton. IMO Zermatt is a disjointed ski area, and the town is dark and cold particularly mid January, skiing good and in particular Triftji (?) bumps, but on balance I'd much rather be in Lech.

If you were looking for a really cool place to stay with excellent food, lunchstop off and top location (genuine ski in and out) look no further than Hotel Cresta in Oberlech. Or Zug (just outside Lech on same liftpass), magical place. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And I'll say Zermatt to make the score 2/2. I think your resort summaries are broadly correct other than the Zermatt altitude point. Some of Zermatt's skiing goes very high, but you'd be unlikely to spend much time right at the top. The resort itself is not particularly high.

Lech would provide a more convenient skiing experience, and if you were based in Europe I'd recommend it; but for a special trip over from Australia you have to experience Zermatt. It's a special magical place with loads of memorable skiing, stunning scenery, fantastic mountain restaraunts, and an atmospheric town centre. In many ways it's as near as you can get to a 'perfect' alpine resort. Of course this comes at a price, its bloody expensive, but there again Lech is hardly a budget resort.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If your coming all this way why not do both over 2 weeks Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, even better!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everyone above is right:-)

Lech is a great resort and will be easier for a group, better connected etc. Zermatt can indeed be described as magical. (I don't know what it's like in mid Jan but had a good time skiing over from Cervinia in mid-Dec!)

Neither is cheap but I would expect Zermatt to be even more expensive.

And of course you should do one week in each!

For an alternative, what about the Dolomites? The mountain scenery is superb (easily rivals Zermatt's, though not as high) and the size and interconnectedness of the ski domain are second to none, particularly for intermediates. Also, won't break the bank.

Snow record is somewhat worse but they have an excellent snowmaking system, probably the best in the world. (I trust it - I'm going there at Christmas).

EDIT: oops, sorry, I hadn't seen that you really didn't want other resorts thrown into the mix.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I vote for Lech. I wasn't too fussed with Zermatt; the ski area isn't a patch on the Arlberg. And, if you stay in Lech you can ski St Anton while you are there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spaceleggo, Oooh you have picked two of my most favourite resorts. You'll have a great time in either resort, my instinct though is to say Lech, it is so lovely in every way (I know as a Valaisanne I should say Zermatt, which is so great). Lech does everything a resort should do and is so pretty. Not the cheapest however.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree that Lech would provide a more comfortable skiing experience for your family, but Zermatt is just gorgeous and should not be missed. The scenery is infinitely superior (IMO), the village is charming, and you can easily make it to the Cervinia side at least on a couple of days, where there are plenty of long and wide intermediate runs. If you were coming to Europe to ski every winter, I'd say go for Lech, and maybe come back to Zermatt the next year. But since it doesn't sound like a likely scenario given the distance, I would most definitely pick Zermatt, which is by far the most magical and unforgettable place I have ever skied at.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at Oberlech. Kids will love it as will you guys. Have not been to Zermatt but my mate who was with us at our 2 stays in Oberlech plus many trips to st Anton wasn't overly fussed about Zermatt. Felt as if you spent too much time on uplift but the runs back down were amazing. If you stay in Oberlech you'll have direct access to piste and you will all love the toboggan run back down to lech.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Zermatt, slightly biased after living there for 10 years!
For a weeks intermediate skiing there is so much to explore, more so when Cervinia is factored in. The area actually links very well now, much better than in the 80's when I was there........
The scenery is second to none (how many resorts have a Matterhorn???)
Er, 2 actually, but it's best viewed from the Swiss side Smile
The mountain restaurants are fabulous and there is a shed load of nightlife in town !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with Zermatt, but from a position of Lech ignorance. Back to Zermatt for the 4th time this year after 46 years of skiing. But as I have never been to Lech - do both! Zermatt is magical.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd vote Lech - far, far less queing for lifts

+1 for staying in Oberlech too
ski holidays
As iconic resorts go, Zermatt wins. Have skied in both, though more in Zermatt, and just a day in Lech so got the lay of the land while I was in the Arlberg area (St Anton, Lech, Zurs all on same lift pass). Lech wins from the point of view of your level of skiing/boarding, and convenient access to the slopes....It's pretty, full of european aristos, and has heated chairlifts to warm your bottom!

But Zermatt is just....breathtaking. There is nothing like the view of the Matterhorn anywhere else. I think you will hit both resorts in low season (I think it's the week after the Russians have gone home). Yes, Zermatt can be a tad inconvenient to get to the lifts, and for links between areas. Accommodation in and around the village centre and to the southern end tends to be no more than 5-10mins walk from a lift. Yes, it does get affected more by bad weather as your skiing goes way up to the glacier level. When the weather is OK however, Cervinia is not hard to get to and the intermediate runs on the other side are a blast! If this is your big european ski trip, and you may not come back for years, I'd go for Zermatt and bug the disadvantages!

But then again, for your wife and children, maybe Lech would be a more relaxed experience...
ski holidays
The heart says Zermatt and the head says Lech, been to both but would not rush back to either, but if I was to choose it would be Lech.

Zermatt in Jan 2010 was so picturesque, but so cold.....

ski holidays
As has been said, both resorts are fantastic, and you will love it whatever choice you make. A full area pass for either resort will be more than enough to easily keep you all satisfied for the week. I think from your requirements that Lech will suit you more, easier to return to base to meet up, more suited to timid intermediates and those transitioning from boards to skis. But...
Zermatt is described as a resort "you must try before you die" for a reason. Sure it will put a dent in your wallet, but Lech is by no means cheap either. It has (arguably) the best mountain food in the alps. The village itself is picture box and car-free, in fact the train up to it makes it feel special before you even get there. I also loved the cog railway up the mountain, as is said it is slow but again there is something magical about winding up through the trees and stepping off the train onto the platform next to the piste. And it is all set against the backdrop of the Matterhorn.
So it's a tough call, but both answers are winners.
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone for the awesome responses and excellent information. I really like the suggestion of trying both, but the reality is we really only have a week.

It sounds like I can't really go wrong either way, but after reading this and based on our mixed abilities, I think Lech wins this round (very tough call though). My partner is from the UK originally, so I'm sure another trip to ski Europe won't be too many years away. Once we are all of a similar intermediate level we can then hopefully enjoy Zermatt for what it truly has to offer. Another trip to work towards down the track Smile
snow report
JimboS, just curious why you would return to neither. What was your experience at both?
snow conditions
spaceleggo, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
You have done your research well & Lech is the answer. Stay in Oberlech.
Here if money is no object " target="_blank">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/9840151/Chalet-N-Oberlechs-231k-a-week-chalet.html?frame=2467581.Twisted Evil
No seriously the Burg hotel is perfectly located and only 250 euros a day pp.

Zermatt is good for atmosphere & scenery but the ski areas are spread out, & you spend too much time on lifts & trains not great for a mixed ability party.
ski holidays
Hi Spaceleggo, another Aussie here. I understand how hard it is to pick a European resort when you don't know when you'll make it back and need somewhere to tick as many boxes as possible. In my case I was lucky because I actually ended up going to 3 different resorts in 2 countries. In Frace I went to Meribel and Chamonix and while Chamonix certainly had the best scenery and town of the two I rate my week skiing in 3v as the best skiing week of my life.

Just remember wherever you go in Europe will have gorgeous mountains and a big ski area (compared to Australia) so I'm sure you'll have great time. I enjoyed it so much I'm back for another round next year snowHead
ski holidays
spaceleggo, Check this out............. wink http://www.cresta.at/en
latest report
My first ski trip (only about 8 years ago) was Lech and we have been back a few times. We now have a place just outside Zermatt and go there very regularly. In my not very experienced but very biased view I would say you have picked the two most wonderful resorts to choose from.

Personally I would say that an intermediate skier would be better off going to Zermatt. I also think Zermatt wins on the “other stuff”.

However, given your description of your group I’d say Lech is best. I think it is better for snowboarders - although over the (linked) Zermatt border with Italy in Cervinia is good for boarders. I also think beginners or nervous intermediates would find Lech better on a first visit.

However, and here is the good news, whichever you choose should you should really enjoy.
snow report
spaceleggo wrote:
JimboS, just curious why you would return to neither. What was your experience at both?

Both were great but I prefer St Anton to Lech, I prefer the feel of St Anton, but we always have a day out in Lech when there.

As others have said, the Zermatt backdrop is stunning but the skiing layout is not that convenient, having also spent time in Wengen this year, we found that we preferred it overall compared to Zermatt.
ski holidays
I am not sure why the Zermatt ski layout is considered inconvenient. It is hard for me to comment now as I have been quite a few times. However I can't remember thinking it was an issue on first visit.

There are basically three major ski sections and one minor on the Swiss side and there is the Italian side which I would describe as one major and one minor section. The three major Swiss are in a line connected 1-2-3 with the minor connected to 2 and 3. Then 3 is connected to the major Italian which is connected to the minor Italian one. You would never try to ski on all 6 areas in one day. But having started on one it is easy enough to ski down to a lift that takes you up to another area.

I have only skied 6 resorts (Lech (including St Anton), Verbier, Courchavel, Zermatt, Steamboat and Whistler). But I can't think what is more difficult about linking sections in Zermatt than the others I have done. It is probably the one that takes longest to get up to a skiing area from wherever you are staying. But all I do is get up earlier 😄
ski holidays
JohnMo, I agree. I skied Zermatt while staying in Cervinia, which is a disadvantage as it take some time to get to Zermatt from the other side. But once you're there, I had no trouble covering the entire resort in two days. Obviously, we were not able to do every single run on the map, but we certainly explored every section of the resort. I did not find the layout inconvenient and encountered no connection problems whatsoever. If it's possible (and easy) to ski Zermatt from Cervinia, how can it be difficult while actually staying in Zermatt proper? Perhaps that would be different for a novice skier...

Certainly, there are resorts that may be more convenient and offer more ski-in/ski-out accommodation options, but the stunning beauty and magic of Zermatt more than make up for the minor inconvenience of having to spend 10 minutes vs 2 minutes getting to the slopes in the morning, IMHO.
ski holidays
Thanks for the top tip Markymark29, that place looks ace!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The skiing layout in Zermatt does not flow for me. Sometimes we spent up to an hour from our chalet before getting to ski. If you have to drop off & pick up a youngster from ski school as well it could be a pain. Lech is right for this group.
snow conditions
With the Matterhorn as a backdrop, Zermatt for sure wins on the scenery. Skiing in my opinion Lech/Zurs wins hands down. Both areas are expensive when it comes to lodging. Food and drink will be less expensive overall in Austria. Accommodations in both places are top-notch. Staying in Oberlech will give you the car-free aspect which Zermatt has to offer. Tough to choose one over the other for sure. For a once-in-lifetime trip I'd go with Zermatt, but after having been to both I would return first to Lech.
snow report
Back to Zermatt for a 4th time this year, and have never found the lift system inconvenient. You can ski thoughout the area without coming down the mountain, and return pretty much to the village, with a good bus system around town. Only negative surely is the high cost of a lift pass, - but what lifts! A train, a 45 degree train though a mountain, and a Gondola system up to the highest piste in Europe.
snow conditions
If you do so long disctance, Zermatt would be best, specia, magical, and really good! skiing.. may be a litle bit better is in Lech. But any way, both resorts are really good!!!
snow report
Like many others, I've been to both Lech and Zermatt.

If you are coming for an overall experience I'd plump for Zermatt. It's a truly spectacular place in all sorts of ways, from the train up the valley, to the electric buggies, the glamorous shops, the "town" feel and the Matterhorn rising above it all. However it is a bit less connected in terms of getting around the various areas, but for me that adds further to the experience. Taking the Gornergrat railway up through the tree line and emerging onto the upper slopes is fantastic, whilst the Sunnegga underground funicular is also a pretty special way to get from the town to the slopes.

Lech is beautiful and Oberlech is a delightful lunch stop. The skiing is more accessible and a bit more "understandable" in terms of terrain and piste maps. It also has a "wow" factor, and out of the dozen or so alpine resorts I've visited it's definitely top three, but it's some way short of Zermatt, which I will definitely return to after I have won the national lottery Smile
snow conditions
I've never been to Zermatt but it is on my to do list. I have been put off by the reports of cold weather. I've been to Lech countless times and it has it's own special charm. It was always my favourite resort. But, I have found the Dolomites and we now go to Corvara. It has more skiing than Lech/Zurs/St.Anton and better scenery!
snow conditions
well...i am an Austria fan...
Lech is super, and i think skiing is more relaxing...
But...if you want to come from Australia in order to skiing in Alps, then Zermmat is A MUST...
Lech is also worth it...but Z is a MUST....i prefer skiing in Lech but the whole package village, skiing, view, atmosphere etc in unbeatable in this place....as Honved said above: if i ever win a national lottery and trying to find a place to spend the winters, Zermatt is definitely the best option....
snow report
Zermat for me, but haven't been to Lech to compare snowHead

and of course Cervinia
ski holidays
Ahh looks good, can't wait!
ski holidays
@spaceleggo, transitioning from boarding to skiing can be traumatic.
The down sides are, no drugs, rubbish clothing, uncomfortable boots, crap music.
Hardly made up for by, easy on the flat, drags less stress, more girls, oh yes and old people don't hate you.
snow report
Having been to both I would suggest lech - its a very pretty village and easily accessible - slopes are also accessible, and great snow this year.
What i found in Zermatt was that it could take up to an hour to get to the the highest lift. Its also very expensive, not that Lech is cheap but your not paying Swiss prices (i think i paid around £10 for a pack of plasters in Zermatt Sad)
The main perk of Zermatt for me was being able to ski into Italy for lunch and also the great scenery.
Although this is Lech this year after a good 2 day dump of snow - Stunning:

Zermatt is a great place to ski and i can tick it off the list but i wont be rushing back where I have just booked to go back to Lech.
ski holidays
@aron916, a pack of plasters in the Coop in Zermatt was CHF 2.70 (£2ish) last week so not sure where yours were from?!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy