Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shopping for All-Mountain skis on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I skiid fairly consistantly for 3 or 4 years, just renting skis, then dropped off a bit. I gave snowboarding a shot for a couple of years, and then last year our mountain never opened. I plan on heading up to the mountain more frequently, and am considering picking up a pair of skis. I'm 5'10", 145lbs, and would consider myself an intermediate skier. I like to ski all over the mountain, and don't tend to favor any particular terain.

I'd like to keep skis, boots, and bindings under $700, am am trying to locate a good deal on some equipment that would fit my needs. eBay seems to be a good option - I've seen a lot of auctions for 2004 or 2005 model skis that are still new, but considerably cheaper than the 06 models. I think this may be the best way to go, but I'm not really sure which models to look at. Unfortunately I don't really have the chance to demo any skis where I leave, so I basically have to buy sight unseen.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks, Josh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead josh784

Here we go again... Sorry, we've had a couple of posts like this recently that seem to have led to a massive discussion about skinny Vs fat skis. Without seeming too rude may I suggest having a look at some of the recent posts in this section of the forum.

Most of us will agree that buying the skis untested is an unwise thing to do. Personally I will buy a ski without skiing it but never without seeing it to check the dimensions and the flex pattern but I know what I'm looking for from a ski and don't need to read ski reviews.

You will get a good deal on older models on e-bay, even brand new skis. Maybe try and get to a ski store so you can see the skis that you're going to buy online.

My advice really though is to get some boots from a very experienced fitter and then hire the first few times you ski. You are in the States but without knowing where you ski it is likely that the conditions will really vary.

Good Lock. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
josh784, if you take a look on Epic... www.epicski.com there is a guy on there called Dawgcatching...
http://forums.epicski.com/member.php?u=2731

He has a shop in Oregon, and may be able to help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy