Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fly to Munich and get a ski train

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I'm thinking aloud and looking for recommendations and if I'm thinking along the right lines
We're looking at going for a weekend to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, in December 18 to 22 we're trying to do this as a long weekend.

as in fly to Munich and train it up to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

AFAIK Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany is probably the closest best guaranteed snow?
Trying to keep train to an hour-ish

Any ideas, recommendations, places to stay that are good value etc.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow won't be guaranteed - never is - but it should be a safe bet.
The top of the Zugspitze is a bit of a snow cap, because it's so high, but bear in mind that this is pretty flat terrain and not connected with the much more interesting skiing lower down. Garmisch is not the most practical or easy place to ski, because of where the lifts start etc. - check the map.

You may not need to pre-book accommodation, as you're preceding the Christmas rush.

Personally I wouldn't ski there - I'd go somewhere like Soll (skirting Rosenheim/Kufstein). About 1.5 hrs from Munich Airport, and much more interesting skiing. You may be able to do a transfer at about €50, if you can find a bus/shared taxi service.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith, I could not agree more about GAP! Good if you know the layout, which is why it is popular with the Müncheners and the Schicki-Micki (Schickeria) from the surrounding areas, but very disjointed and bitty if you are not familiar without.

jackcards, easier to buy a Bayern ticket at the airport railway station - 23 Euro for the first person and then add 4 Euro per person up to a total of 5 in total. Make sure you add ALL the names of those travelling on each ticket (the ticket is not valid until you do this) in the space on the back. This will then take you any where within Bavaria including the stations in Austria that are on the borders (Salzburg and Kufstein for sure, not sure about the others). It is a return ticket by the way valid from 09:00 to 03:00am the following day. you just have to validate it by pushing it into any of the blue boxes on poles as you enter the S-Bahn station beneath the airport.

I'd back Comedy Goldsmith in saying that you are probably better off looking at the Ski Welt (Söll, Scheffau Ellmau, Going, etc.). This area is served by the trains stopping at Kufstein (don't try and squeeze a few kilometres and reach Wörgl, it could prove embarrassing as well as expensive), outside the station is the bus terminus as well as a good taxi service. The lowest fares will be to Scheffau or Söll, then a wee bit more the further you go into the area.
Alternatively the airport transfer companies are listed on the Munich Airport web site. I don't think 50 Euro will cover it per person return though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
but bear in mind that this is pretty flat terrain
sorry but you are wrong! Sure the pistes are quickly done and would get boring quite quickly. The off piste is a different story. I've had some of the best powder days of the last 30 years up on the Zugspitze. Very few people up there as well. Got to be done!
As far as Garmisch itself is concerned, yes you have to know your way around, but on a weekday doing the Kandahar at speed is a special experience. At the Weekends it can be a bit of a nightmare, but you can always ski the other areas of the Zugspitzarena (e.g Lermoos) or if you feel like it take a trip over to Mittenwald and do the freeride area in the Dammkar, which, on a good day, is fantastic!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is quite a nice video of skiing around the Garmisch area. From about 2:10 onwards it shows freeriding up on the Zugspitze, just to give you some idea.

http://youtube.com/v/hFTd6vRgYSk

This one is also quite nice, but not the usual way to get down to the ski area.

http://youtube.com/v/RsAdVyhCmGE
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang, Agreed, nothing flat about the OP, Zugspitze aint flat!

jackcards, Its also quite a good laugh with the Schickis who tend to be in fine form just before Xmas, go for it. Dont forget plenty of €, Conrad Sport in town, best reange of outdoor technical gear you'll ever see, brilliant store!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
Dont forget plenty of €, Conrad Sport in town, best reange of outdoor technical gear you'll ever see, brilliant store!!

I prefer Sport Schuster in Munich, I took photos of it when I first moved to Munich, definitely one of my happy places Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks all, I've been doing a bit of Piste mapping, and I think you are right about the ski area looks a bit small, last year I was skiing from Westendorf over to Kitz, so I like my Space Smile the 3 of us that are going are skiing 10 years + , so Ski Welt seems to be the way to go, but kinda always looking for somewhere new, if you know what I mean.

really appreciate the replies, always good to post on here, so I know I'm not that daft snow wise Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
Dont forget plenty of €, Conrad Sport in town, best reange of outdoor technical gear you'll ever see, brilliant store!!

I prefer Sport Schuster in Munich, I took photos of it when I first moved to Munich, definitely one of my happy places Smile

Have you been to Black Sheep Sports in Munich? I want to get over at some point just for a look as they seem to have about the best range of interesting skis anywhere in Europe!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Söll pre Christmas? - is it not too low? (mid station under 1200m, Peak around 1800m)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:

I couldn't help watching that and thinking those two were well out of their depth. They were getting down and not skiing it (destroying the powder in the process), plus they didn't have a clue about off-piste safety. Loads of sluff and they are skiing the same pitch at the same time one directly above the other Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, yes, I agree with that. Still it's a nice video.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang wrote:
DB, yes, I agree with that. Still it's a nice video.

Yes the terrain is a lot better than I expected it to be, thanks for sharing.

Still can't get over the ignorance of my fellow countymen in that clip though. They didn't have a clue how much risk they were letting themselves in for or how much they were trashing the powder and taking away the enjoyment from others.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, believe me, not many people go down there! It's one wrong move and you're over a cliff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

I couldn't help watching that and thinking those two were well out of their depth. They were getting down and not skiing it (destroying the powder in the process), plus they didn't have a clue about off-piste safety. Loads of sluff and they are skiing the same pitch at the same time one directly above the other Puzzled

Nice video, quite like the GoPro angle they got.

Some truly Be Nice please! awful decisions made that day though, no way in hell should they have been there when it was that warm!!

Second guy didn't look like a great skier. The guy on Redeemers wasn't soooo bad, jsut getting Be Nice please! by super heavy warm wet (dangerous) snow.

Judging by another video of him (below) he can actually ski, though he also triggers a fairly major slide... Dude seriously needs to reconsider his decision making process!!!

http://youtube.com/v/-7UST3u3MbI&list=UUBK5HedlSPrNJvAZXn9KgmQ&spfreload=10%20Message%3A%20JSON%20Parse%20error%3A%20Unexpected%20EOF%20(url%3A%20http%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-7UST3u3MbI%26list%3DUUBK5HedlSPrNJvAZXn9KgmQ)
ski holidays
Hmm...looks mostly out of control in the back seat. Horrid ragged looking skiing. Sad
snow conditions
clarky999,

That's not just one person skiing - it's hard to work out which skier is Peter MacKenzie ......

Quote:

From YouTube .....

Locations include:
- Yanks Gully, Nevis Range
- Leysin, CH
- North face of Punta Penia (highest peak in Dolomites)
- Fuselage Gully, Beinn Eighe
- Canale Y, passo Gardena
- Lyngsdalen, Troms/Lyngen, Norway
- St Moritz, CH
... and various others

Principal rider:
- Peter MacKenzie

Also featuring:
- Andrew Stokes-Rees
- Piotr Kupieszewski
- Tom Southworth
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
lynseyf wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Have you been to Black Sheep Sports in Munich? I want to get over at some point just for a look as they seem to have about the best range of interesting skis anywhere in Europe!

No I have heard of them but it is no where near anywhere I ever go in Munich so never pass it to just pop in, might give them a visit now you've reminded me though

edit. just checked and this isn't the shop I was thinking of, Blacksheep is very central so will definitely drop in. I was thinking of Basecamp which has a rubbish website but is supposed to be quite good.
latest report
All the Munich central shops are ridiculously over-priced, Sport Bittl out in Allach (suburb in the north west of the city) is good for getting deals on gear that is maybe a wee bit last season. But the prices at Sport Conrad are by far the best. The shop is just off the A95 in Penzberg, so hardly a big diversion from the route to GAP.

clarky999, there is a Blue Tomato outlet just over the road from the Deutsches Museum (between the Deutsches Museum and Gasteig/Rosenheimerstrasse S-Bahn station).
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I'm reliably informed that the Sport Conrad lagerverkauf is the cheapest place to get ski gear. Havn't tried it myself, but worth taking a look. It's just outside Weilheim
http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/lagerverkauf/
snow conditions
Steilhang, yep, I've been there in the past but you really have to take pot-luck with sizes, especially in my range! Sad I could have spent so much money on stuff I didn't need though rolling eyes I'm also lucky to have the IKO (Corretec) HQ at the bottom of the hill down to the Inntal - so that's another place I have to avoid if I want to remain solvent!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy