Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Avalanche Airbag Study

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jbob, agree - but I always interpreted the blurb as I said in my post, rather than it suggesting you breathe the air in the bag - maybe I was reading different blub though...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap, in chamonix as well as gazex to stabilise the slope, they have scandex, this is a 6'9" blonde haired Swedish skier who miraculously appears in front of you whenever you think you have found an untouched slope.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Translation of the rest of the paper linked from here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2605964#2605964
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross wrote:
..... I can't help but feel slightly unnerved skiing in the company of others that're using bags, when I'm the only one in the group that isn't. ... There's no logic to it except for asking myself the analogue question, would I feel comfortable as the only non-helmet wearer in a group skiing the rocky gully ? Which then begs the question, why do some bag-equipped skiers choose not to wear helmets ...
You're not alone, but to "beg" a question doesn't mean what you think it means.

On your first point, by analogy.... I don't drive a Volvo. My car is not as safe as a Volvo, yet I feel entirely comfortable. The reason is that I believe that the marginal risk reduction I may achieve is not significant. Everyone makes those choices all the time. The most interesting part, IMHO, is that human reasoning around this type of risk is known to be not entirely rational (see Prospect theory).

If anything, when faced with a group of bankers with more safety gear than experience I feel more worried about them than usual. I worry that their toys may make them feel "safe", when in fact they are not, and their gear won't protect them from most risks.

Your second question is often asked, but I'm never convinced that people really want an answer. The same question asked slightly differently may be less contentious:
why do bag-equipped skiers choose not to wear full face helmets?

The answer's the same as the one to the first point, not surprisingly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
You're not alone, but to "beg" a question doesn't mean what you think it means.

Happily, no-one cares about the original definition of the term. Language evolves; get with the times, grandad!

philwig wrote:
Your second question is often asked, but I'm never convinced that people really want an answer. The same question asked slightly differently may be less contentious:
why do bag-equipped skiers choose not to wear full face helmets?

The answer's the same as the one to the first point, not surprisingly.

It isn't quite the same question; I'd posit that the incremental increase in safety from no helmet to any helmet is much greater than from a non-full-face helmet to a full-face one (less than the difference between a class B and a class A, perhaps). The skiiers I've known with mouth injuries could have prevented them with kneepads...

Also re: volvos. There is a bit of an arms-race in some parts of the world, where driving a compact when everyone else has an SUV has a negative effect on your safety, because everyone else will squish you. Sure, if everyone drove compacts that wouldn't be a problem, and when everyone drives an SUV they're probably no better off than they were before, but that's never taken into consideration because no-one considers game theory when buying a new car. PPE isn't quite like that, at least.

moffatross wrote:
I can't help but feel slightly unnerved skiing in the company of others that're using bags, when I'm the only one in the group that isn't

Could be worse. They could be complaining that by not protecting yourself more, you're increasing their risk, because there's a greater chance of you being buried and unable to rescue them, should they need it. Most people don't think like that, of course, but it wouldn't be illogical wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh wrote:
Happily, no-one cares about the original definition of the term. Language evolves; get with the times, grandad!

SRORY, I DIDN' REALIZE I WAS D3ALING WITH CHILDRN. mym iStake OLOLOLOOLOLOLO~~

Dialectizer
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And yet, still no-one cares. You may as well whine about the americanization of english, for all the good it will do you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy