Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire from Munich

Poster: A snowHead
We are flying to Munich in December and hiring a car to travel to Saalbach. I know I need a Vignette to drive on the Austrian motorways. Is the car likely to have it already or will I need to buy one? If I need to buy a vignette, can I buy one before I go?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The car will not include a vignette and I'm not sure if you can buy one in advance. Others will be able to advise about that, I'm sure.

However, we've always just pulled into the services on the motorway prior to entering Austria. No hassle and in and out in 2 minutes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you can get one before you go but it'll cost more.
or stop at autobahn services and collect one for the proper price. I tend to stop at the first (proper) services (Holzkirchen) after you turn off the Munich Ring, and collect one from the cafeteria till. Prefer stopping there to the next services (Irschenberg).
and there's no border control to buy it at, like there is with switzerland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1, You won't need an Austrian vignette if you use the following easy route to Saalbach :

Munich Ring Road (99) then the A8 towards Salzburg.
About an hour after you join the A8, look for the exit for Siegsdorf (road 306)

306 to Siegsdorf then Inzell where it becomes the 305 to Schneizlreuth.

At Schneizlreuth you meet the 178 - turn right for Lofer. Just before Lofer, there is an exit to the right signposted Saalfelden/Zell am See and you need to take this.

At the roundabout in Lofer, remember to go anticlockwise around it and take the third exit (311 to Saalfelden/Zell am See),

In Saalfelden, there are three roundabouts - you carry straight on at these towards Zell am See.

Approx 10 km out of Saalfelden you come to Maishofen, where there is a short tunnel. Just after the tunnel is the turning on the right for Saalbach - Hinterglemm.

This is probably the route that your satnav will suggest anyway. You don't need a vignette as you don't use any Austrian autobahns.

For anyone else reading the thread but not going specifically to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Lofer or Zell am See on this route, hire cars at Munich airport do not come with Austrian vignettes and you cannot buy one at the airport. Instead, you should buy in Germany at any of the autobahn services, before you get to Austria. If you are flying into Salzburg or Innsbruck, Austrian hire cars will have a vignette.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 11-10-14 21:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use carhire3000. Very good
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What they said - a fair bit from Munich to Ishgl/ Solden and avoid the whole motorway thing. Check your route... otherwise, the hire cars don't come with them, but you can pick them up as stated. I would not fuss about it in advance, that seems over complicating it.

Watch out for speed traps around the border, they seem to like having them there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you do want to get one in advance, we use this site...

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c

Always had good service and prompt delivery.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Quinton. Shouldn't need to be on an Austrian Autobahn - we did this exact journey last summer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You shouldn't need one, we travel to Lofer in Austria each season, and you will travel through Lofer to get to Saalbach and you won't travel on the Austrian Motorway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SCollier1, the last time i hired at Munich, the car had one on ( perhaps from the previous customer ), but as andy says, they're not hard to get hold of - even with my limited German Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quinton thanks for the directions. How long does it take roughly to drive fro Munich to Saalbach?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

How long does it take roughly to drive fro Munich to Saalbach?

Tricky question - depends on road conditions, weather and 'sheer weight of traffic'. On a sunny day in the summer with reasonable traffic, I can do the trip from joining the 99 Ring Road to Saalbach in 3 1/2 hours. Rain, and especially snow, will slow this down considerably. The major impact comes from the holiday traffic. The traffic coming from Holland, Germany and Scandinavia all meets on the Ring Road and then all heads south on the A8 for Salzburgerland or towards Innsbruck. This gets very busy on holiday Saturdays and one shunt or breakdown can clog everything up.

If you don't have much luggage, you might consider taking the train from Munich Airport to places like Zell am See, Bad Gastein, many Ski Amade resorts, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Kitzbuhel, Leogang. You may need a taxi for the last 10 km or so to the resort, but the trains are very reliable and you won't be stressing about catching your flight. From Munich Airport, you take a train to Munich Ost (East station) to connect with mainline services. 3 - 4 hours will get you to most resorts in comfort.

The shuttle transfers are also good. The drivers know all of the back roads and rat runs, but even they struggle at peak times. (Samerberg Sue will be along soon with some alternative routes that only she knows!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf wrote:
SCollier1, the last time i hired at Munich, the car had one on ( perhaps from the previous customer ), but as andy says, they're not hard to get hold of - even with my limited German Embarassed

Indeed - vignette bitte and hold out a €10 note
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Timberwolf wrote:

Indeed - vignette bitte and hold out a €10 note

Also Zehn tage
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar, you don't need to say Zehn tage - it's the only vignette that is less than €10 wink ...although you might want to clarify Osterreich as they also sell for Croatia and I noticed somewhere else on the last visit
ski holidays
probably Slovenia? although the last time I tried to buy both an Austrian and Slovenian one (I think it was Irschenberg services, which I loathe), they could only sell the Austrian one. Could be Czech?

as above, if you ask for a vignette, it'll be 10 day, since anyone buying an annual one will probably get it from a local outlet. but they will (may/should) ask if you want it to start "today". some do, some don't, but do check the holes punched in it.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
T Bar, you don't need to say Zehn tage - it's the only vignette that is less than €10 wink

Ah My limited German was superfluous then, actually I have been asked how many days, but probably was handing over a larger note or possibly buying a snack at the same time.
latest report
andy, I generally buy mine at Samerberg services where they are all advertised
snow conditions
Macro wrote:
How long does it take roughly to drive fro Munich to Saalbach?

We have done Munich to Lofer in as little as an hour 45 and as long as 8 hours. With saalbach being 20 minutes further.

You say you are going in December what date. We were supposed to arrive Saturday 27th, however we changed our plans and now arrive Friday 26th evening and travelling an hour and will be most of the way there on Saturday to avoid to exodus from Holland and Germany to the Alps on Saturday morning.

Last year Samerburg Sue gave us directions to go,cross country and avoid the Autobahn and they were brillant and it just took us over two hours.
ski holidays
Being numpties and just too excited about getting to Mayrhofen, we weren't paying attention and missed the last service station before the border. Needless to say Austrian plod were very interested in our lack of a motorway pass as we crossed the border. They were very nice about it but despite being sympathetic to our lack of attentiveness and convinced that we did not deliberately try to avoid the motorway charge, they fined us 80euro (I think, it was about that anyway).

Moral of the story - pay attention and do not forget to buy one before the border crossing. Toofy Grin
snow report
SCollier1 wrote:
We are flying to Munich in December and hiring a car to travel to Saalbach. I know I need a Vignette to drive on the Austrian motorways. Is the car likely to have it already or will I need to buy one? If I need to buy a vignette, can I buy one before I go?

Thanks

Only ever flight i missed was trying to get back to Munich Airport. Never seen traffic like it before or since. it may have been a one off but others may have travelled form there more often.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
holidayloverxx, ah - I tend to turn off for Innsbruck just before there. Holzkirchen is the one to use for those headed via Kufstein (or Irschenberg if you like the idea of pulling back on to the autobahn merging in to tailgating truck convoy with a slip road that's only 20 paces long). For those headed towards Salzburg there are more options.
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell, It's not a one-off unfortunately.
snow report
holidayloverxx, Currently the Samerberg Service station is no more! It was there last Thursday but it was closed as they appeared to be resurfacing it as part of extending the truck parking areas. Drove past this afternoon and it was gawn! Shocked I mean total rubble. That currently leaves you the choice of Holzkirchen (and it's shitty exit across a 2lane slip road back on to the A8 ), Hochfelln (and it's truncated slip road into the roadworks called the never-ending bridge saga of Bergen), Bad Reichenhall services or Walserberg (either the special booth or the Shell station as both sell Vignette).

If any of you are wanting a way around the peak period Saturday hold ups, you can either travel on a Friday or a Sunday wink Or travel overnight with the Dutch hoards, or simply ask for a route from a local who has to commute to work through your bloody traffic jams! wink Laughing
snow report
that double slip lane is fine.
more fine than being presented with the end of a slip road and no emergency lane to bail on to when the gap between trucks is less than the length of a car Wink at least the trucks have just got the top of irschenberg and are only doing about 40.
snow report
Here's the route we took every Saturday (well, as far as Saalfelden) last winter: https://goo.gl/maps/of3Tq. No vignette required and the landstrasse avoids a lot of the 2 lane motorway of the A8 after Rosenheim.

As Samerberg Sue suggests, there's no way of avoiding the sheer volume of cars heading either north or south each week if travelling during daylight hours.
snow conditions
andy, I didn't include Irschenberg in my list as I agree with you, it is shoite to get out of, particularly if you are in a right-hand drive car! Getting out of Holzkirchen when there is a mass of traffic heading towards Holzkirchen and Bad Tolz can be really bad, as well as nerve-wrecking. I hate it and I'm in a left-hand drive and a local! wink Laughing

Gnarbeque, I use part of that route, but not the A93 side as that is a nightmare as well a lot of the time with all the traffic heading down to the Tirol. I can give you some of our locals routes avoiding the Irschenberg if you want for those days when the Dutch camp out on it when you are trying to get to your place in Dienten. I would not offer it to tourist as it does require a we bit of local knowledge to avoid being lost in the boonies! wink
latest report
ah it's always empty when I go that way (10pm on a friday). except the time I thought it would be clever to stop over in Munich (half way) and drive to Ljubljana on a sunny summer Saturday morning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Driving into Munich last night I noticed that the Holzkirchen Service station is also no more! Shocked Just rubble where the building was. They have kept the pumps and a kiosk but whether you will still be able to get a vignette there or not is debatable. You may have to use the Kiefersfelden Services right on the border just before Kufstein if Holzkirchen is no longer doing them (you said you don't like the Irschenberg slip road layout).

Seems they are rebuilding/replacing/upgrading a lot of the service stations with that lovely late 60s/early 70s concrete glass and metal architecture. Samerberg-Süd and Holzkirchen-Süd already demolished, just leaving the oddity at Hochfelln on the Salzburg route along with the very small petrol station at Bad Reichenhall as back up before the border crossing at Walserberg. For the Inntal route, if the Holzkirchen one stops selling the vignette because of the limited service it is giving during the rebuild, then there is only Irschenberg and Kiefersfelden to fall back on.
snow report
Blimey. There'll be no services left at this rate!

Have seen a few others over the last year being demolished and refurbed. One one Frankfurt-Nurnberg A3, one Frankfurt-Leipzig on A4, and another on A5 Frankfurt-Basel. All of them with one part open (eg restaurant), and one part closed (eg fuel).

I had a feeling one of the services on the A99 ring also sells the vignette. Vaterstetten? (But that'll be another of those fancy double slip roads probably, where they use the emergency lane as a traffic lane sometimes).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy