Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route advice, please: Geneva to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll be driving from Geneva to Tignes on Saturday 29th November, leaving at about 2pm. Could any regulars advise on the best route around Annecy. Is it best to take the long autoroute stretch via Aix-les-baines, Chambery and Albertville or leave the autoroute and go through Annecy, past the lake to Ugine and on to Albertville. I've been stuck in Annecy in the past in gridlock traffic, but that was at peak periods.
Is there another route apart from the two mentioned above?
I'll be returning the following Saturday (6th December) in the morning. Does the same route advice apply for that journey?
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DCG,

I've always gone through Annecy itself via the most popular route (with lake on your left as you drive through) bar last March when, on the recommendation of several SHs, we took the less busy and much more picturesque road on the other side of the lake (through a lovely village called Talloires). I found it far more interesting - the beach at Talloires lends itself to a lovely stop / break if the weather's nice too.

I'm not sure a Saturday mornign in early December will pose too many problems.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done the route through Annecy to Albertville, with one occasion also taking the cut off over the Cormet de Roseland and the motorway though Chambery. Annecy now appears to be gridlocked whenever I try it so now I always use the autoroute. It takes about 2 - 21/2 hours to get from the airport to Les Arcs. On my attempts it has taken an extra half hour to go through Annecy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless it early morning or night I would avoid Annecy anytime of the year on a Saturday .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Long autoroute stretch less fun but quicker.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cormet de Roselend is normally closed all winter. I would do annecy and east lake through Talloire. Saturdays in Nov and early Dec shouldn't pose problems great enough to warrant the long and expensive motorway detour.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mmmmm interesting. Divided opinions. Must be a first on Snowheads.
pam w, have you done this route often at that time?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DCG, i do that route through Talloire fairly often though I would avoid it on high season weekends.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Around 6 to 8 times a year I suppose
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We do this route 6 or 8 times a year; have tried most of the variants mentioned above. Have to say we now usually take the autoroute; going via Annecy is nice if you are not in a hurry (in particular the 'quiet' route with the lake on your right). But Annecy is much slower, we will take it if trip is late at night and the hire car is small. Otherwise we just want to get down to the alps soonest Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the time of year you are going the best route is to take the A41 towards Annecy but before getting there turn East and head to Thones on the D1203, D916, D16, D909 then South on the D12 to the Annecy - Ugine Road thence to Albertville and the Tarentaise. Simples. The D12 can be awkward in falling snow as it goes over a col but its a great way to miss the Lac D'Annecy 30km/h nightmare.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the replies. mcspreader, that sounds interesting. I assume the D12 is kept open during winter but just a problem if it happens to be snowing at the time you're going through it. Is the col the Col du Marais and would it be signed in advance if it were closed?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helicopter transfer.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Long autoroute stretch less fun but quicker.

Only if there is bad traffic on the Annecy route (at this time of year there will bbe no problem) and the Autoroute and Chambery tolls aren't bocked.....or you realy push the boat out speed wise on the Autoroute - I used to drive transfers in this part of the world - ain't faster going round unless something funny going on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy