Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Glacier Snow - Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Poster: A snowHead
Indeed, Scottish race trainer John Clark has Facebooked some news from Austria this morning, which I've monkey-linked onto this SKI.HUB report [with a couple of links to German-text stories] ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152792065825761&set=gm.1502608970025870&type=1&theater
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sitter, when are you going to Kaprun? I'll be there 4 to 11 Nov. Hoping for a bit of skiing but if snow is disappointing there is the wow glacier love festival to go to.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
speachmaus wrote:
Sitter, when are you going to Kaprun? I'll be there 4 to 11 Nov. Hoping for a bit of skiing but if snow is disappointing there is the wow glacier love festival to go to.

I've just arrived, but not up on the glacier until Tuesday. Spoken to a few that have been up who have said it's a bit limited. Taking that with a pinch of salt tho as I'm not sure what experience, if any, they have of glacier skiing out of winter season. Seen bits about the glacier love thing, not got a ticket tho, or at least not yet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not looking too shabby on the Tux!

https://www.facebook.com/Hintertux.Glacier/photos/pcb.10152624227372935/10152624225017935/?type=1&theater

There is a lot of negativity being washed around. We are only in October and the races will go ahead next week. I'll link into pictures of the Sölden races next weekend. At this time of year one big snow storm can make a hell of a difference, as can a couple of unseasonably warm days (although what exactly is "unseasonable" about warm days in October?).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep us posted please Sitter,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just got back from Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun).
I think the conditions are what to be expected really - not that much worse but could be better (whatever that means!)

I think on a very good year the long T-bars that sit on the glacier surface would be open from top to bottom but they are equipped with a middle entrance which is as far as you can go.

The park is open.

Typical glacial piste; and in good condition.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue wrote:
At this time of year one big snow storm can make a hell of a difference, as can a couple of unseasonably warm days (although what exactly is "unseasonable" about warm days in October?).
This is exactly right.

Hopefully anyone who wants to ski at this time of year has enough experience to realise the possible limitations as well as the possible opportunities that pre-season skiing offers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Hopefully anyone who wants to ski at this time of year has enough experience to realise the possible limitations as well as the possible opportunities that pre-season skiing offers
Spot on rob@rar, that's definitely the case. But the point of my thread was that (with 25 years of autumn glacier skiing under my belt wink) conditions were, in my experience, easily the worst I'd seen in mid-October. Still, as I'd said, we'd make the best of it whatever the conditions and enjoy our trip to Austria.

Anyway, despite it being 20-odd degrees Celsius in Innsbruck today, things are at last looking up. Cover has improved significantly on the glaciers' top runs and there's snow forecast from tomorrow - with the temperature plunging to -5C at the top of Stubai Very Happy .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, this should cheer you up a wee bit! wink

http://www.tt.com/panorama/wetter/9136811-91/schnee-bis-800-meter-j%C3%A4hes-ende-f%C3%BCr-den-altweibersommer.csp
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bloody 'EllSamerberg Sue! Snow above 800m?? Shocked What the....!?! No mention of that on Snow-Forecast.com last time I looked!

It's more than cheered me up a wee bit Very Happy.

(Good website that by the way (as I can get by in Deutsch) - will save it immediately wink)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, I'm just glad the car is suited and booted as I live at about 800m in a high alpine hanging valley. Getting in or out could be problematic if even half of that forecast is true! Toofy Grin Shocked snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Getting in or out could be problematic if even half of that forecast is true!
It's snowing today on the Stubai webcams and mountains surrounding the glacier are suddenly starting to look a bit more wintry Very Happy.

Snow-Forecast.com (which can often be taken with a pinch of salt) is showing 33cm Shocked of snow to come at 1700m at Stubai over the next two days....and nearly 50 cm at the top!! Excitement mounts Very Happy !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Al-Jazzera weather girl last night forecast a big dump for the alps following in the wake of Hurricane Gonzalo.....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 21-10-14 20:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GEIL!

http://www.polizeimeldungen.com/show/9dh123b4h

Skins out on Friday at Stuben methinks!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999, so you're telling me that Costin and I should book our flights for the weekend 7-8 Nov and come to Stubai?
ski holidays
Had our first day up on the Kitzsteinhorn today, seemed to take forever to get up as there were so many people going up and 4 lifts to take until getting on the snow. Very little open, just the top button lifts and top half of two of the t-bars so the lifts were pretty busy. The piste reminded me very much of spring conditions, getting heavier by lunch. Started off warm, but then clouded over and started to snow before getting sunny and warm again, hoody weather really. Going up again tomorrow, so long as the expected storm doesn't close the lifts, and it's supposed to be a lot colder.
ski holidays
Sitter, thanks for the reports keep them coming😜
ski holidays
horizon, yes! Well, maybe... Lets see how much actually turns up and what the weather is going to do afterwards - with the state Stubai's in currently it'll need to royally dump and then stay reasonably cold to be worthwhile. But as I'm living in Montafon now any of the other glaciers would also be on the cards, and if Pitztal is good enough for Hoji..!

Would be great to get another early season weekend with you guys though!
ski holidays
according to Bergfex.at almos 150 cm of snow are expected in Kitzsteinhorn the next couple of days...not bad....
snow conditions
Storm appears to have arrived in Kaprun. Wind's started to pick up, it's raining (hopefully snow higher up!) and lightning flashes are brightening up the sky followed by rumbles of thunder. Unfortunately my window doesn't give me a good view of the lightning Sad
ski holidays
Kitzsteinhorn glacier - Kaprun, Austria @ 2500m

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/webcams/c521/
snow report
No skiing/boarding up there today, went up to the Alpincentre, nice covering on the ground there now but was very windy. Did some theory before they announced at 11 that there would be no skiing/boarding due to high winds up top, was bad enough where we were at times. Was still snowing as we headed down. Should mean that more is open tomorrow.
ski holidays
Sitter, how long are you there for? I hope you get to slide tomorrow. Thanks for the update
snow report
Looks like the major dump @ Kitzsteinhorn will come tonight and tomorrow but the winds will remain high until later in the day tomorrow. Skiing might not be possible tomorrow but Friday looks like it will be a sunny epic powder day. snowHead

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/prognose/#1
ski holidays
probably the most epic weekend of the year...1,5 m fresh snow and epic sunny Weekden.... i am considering a visit....
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
Sitter, how long are you there for? I hope you get to slide tomorrow. Thanks for the update

Mid December.

Chatting to the lady in the pension I'm staying in and she was saying they're expecting a meter or so, and should get snow down in resort (900m). Will see what tomorrow brings...
snow conditions
I'm out on 4th nov for a week. We could meet up if ur free?
ski holidays
speachmaus wrote:
I'm out on 4th nov for a week. We could meet up if ur free?

Yeah, send me a message nearer the time. Not sure what the timetable will be exactly that week yet, we're up the glacier weekdays and have various bits some evenings, but weekends are definitely free.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow down to valley levels in Austria today - and 75cm Shocked of powder on Stubai Glacier Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hintertux closed today. 80 cms of new snow by breakfast. Still snowing heavily. Tomorrow should be fun.
snow report
Snow has just about reached resort level in Kaprun. No skiing/boarding up top again today, kne of our instructors went up (open for pedestrians) and his photo showed around 50cm of fresh at the top of the panoramabahn.
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates Sitter, I'm in Kaprun 8th - 15th November with skivolution on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier... certainly looks promising Very Happy snowHead
snow report
O ye of so little faith, told you not to worry didn't I! wink wink Laughing

Driving down to Rosenheim today was "interesting" to say the least. We have about 10cms of heavy wet snow and Graupel, plus lots of people who had put off getting their winter tyres on as it was 25°C last Sunday! It was quite funny watching people's faces as they gripped their steering wheels for grim death, clenched their teeth and tried to get a garage appointment to switch from summer to winter tyres! Laughing Smug b**gers like me had done the switch already.

Driving to Sölden tomorrow should be fun! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, haha I went to three places yesterday trying to find winter tares at short notice, the last place had some that fitted my car, but then after charging me realized they didnÄt actually have that model in stock so gave me better tares for the same price Very Happy

Time for some ski touring tomorrow I think!!
ski holidays
Quote:
O ye of so little faith, told you not to worry didn't I!
Never in doubt Samerberg Sue wink!!

In fact I only posted my original 'Oh my God there's no snow on the glaciers and we're going in three weeks' message for a bit of fun.... Laughing

The following photos (courtesy of Planetski) are just mental for October Shocked Shocked !! Here's Hintertux today and Ischgl before and after!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 23-10-14 22:20; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Laughing Laughing This will be me tomorrow at Sölden snowHead snowHead snowHead I'm there for the whole weekend Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:
This will be me tomorrow at Sölden snowHead snowHead snowHead I'm there for the whole weekend

This will be me at work tomorrow Mad Mad Mad....and all next week Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil.

OH MY GOD!!...EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE SKIED OUT BY WE ARRIVE ON 1ST NOVEMBER Sad Confused Mad .....It'll be back down to the bare ice.... rolling eyes

Enjoy Samerberg Sue!!
latest report
Wow conditions look brilliant. I know most of it will be gone within a few days, but great for some early turns up on the glaciers!
ski holidays
mountainaddict, if it is any consolation I will not be skiing, merely watching! I'm still not released to do anything more exciting than my rehab exercises after shoulder surgery in August! But the atmosphere and the chance to actually talk to some of the racers down in the town make it all worthwhile. Little Angel
ski holidays
Have a great time Samerberg Sue,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy