Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trousers for dryslopes

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got a good idea for trousers for dryslopes?

I've been wearing shorts all summer. Those long ones that come to mid shin. I usually have ski socks, knee pads and compression shorts on, which pretty much join up, so the trousers are really just for decency and to stop me looking like a ski racer wannabe!

Now that we've moved out of shorts weather I'm wondering what to wear. The shorts are thin so they don't matter getting wet. Jeans are too heavy and don't go over my pads. Salopettes are way too hot. I tried a pair of baggy track bottoms but I looked like one of those old guys that are trying too hard.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try and see if you can find a pair of softshell pants cheap in the clearance section on sites. They're very breathable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Walking / climbing trousers with reinforced knees / inside cuffs ?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/clothing/legwear/walking-trousers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Uninsulated ski pants work well. Lower legs can get quite wet due to sprinklers or spray from the slope after rain so some water resistance is handy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about 'site trousers' from somewhere like Screwfix ? Some have knee pad pockets built-in. Not the height of fashion.....but made for 'harsh environments'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sportpursuit have Berghaus trousers in their sales at the minute which may suit. That is where I got my softshell trousers from which I plan to be using when we go in April as last season I just found my normal ski trousers FAR too hot at that time of year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB great idea. I've got a GoOutdoors about a mile from where I sit.

Mosha Marc and balernoStu that was what I was looking for but they were coming in a bit expensive. I was trying to justify them as a new pair for snow too.

I'm learning freestyle at a fairly late stage in life, so I fall over quite a lot. And on that basis I want to keep the cost down until I'm competent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
henzerani, try the Tog24 shop, I got uninsulated Cocona ski pants for around £70 which are waterproof breathable and have a bit of stretch. Not sure how durable they are yet, perhaps not enough for learning freestyle on plastic! Online they're £130 so I could just have been lucky with timing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I'm free skiing on plastic I'm usually in boot cut jeans.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Something like http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-mens-hiking-trousers-light-grey-id_8240943.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your dry slope is anything like the one in Edinburgh that I occasionally ski then I'd recommend motorcycle trousers. Have a look at your local Hein Gericke shop or failing that just whatever local bike shop is nearest. Bike gear is waterproof, warm and tough. Easy to get with hip and knee armour if you want it. Bike gloves are good for dry slopes too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
henzerani, motocross pants. Tough and fit well with your protection.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What he said: jeans. Anything'll work though. If it's sub-zero I suppose you could use ski gear, but it's not usually.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeans get cold and wet. I know. Used to ski Hillend weekly. Driving rain, wind chill and jeans are not a happy mix, even if you just MTFU cos you're 15.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, ah, but I don't ski in the rain.
latest report
On dry slopes rain or not, if the mist system works and you are doing a good few hours you will still get some water ingress into the boots and in heavy rain well skiing in water filled wellies is a good comparison. So waterproof trousers are not that essential.
Cheap and cheerful is best and basic zipped shell bottoms/jogging bottoms from places like sports direct are fine and at £10 to a max of £30 are you really that bothered if they get ripped ? They will fit over your ski boots as well. Joggers when wet because they are light are not uncomfortable also they dry reasonably quickly, they do not restrict movement in any way. Most times I use joggers in the fridge rather than ski pants, and always use them on dryslopes.

Jeans are useless you will be lucky to find a pair that fit over your ski boots, any water from rain or the misting system will make them uncomfortable so IMO avoid them at all cost.
Anything not covering the boot is asking for water filled boots.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

If you ski on a plastic slope you're missing the best by not skiing in rain! Actually recent rain is good too as the slope and ground may still be wet. Hillend was just wet enough this afternoon after rain yesterday.
snow conditions
balernoStu wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

If you ski on a plastic slope you're missing the best by not skiing in rain!

Nah, best is in the evening as the frost comes down snowHead
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
balernoStu wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

But then everyone wants to ski Sad

Nice heavy thunderstorm Very Happy everyone else runs for cover and you have your own personal ski slope with an audience that can't go anywhere snowHead
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
balernoStu wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Maybe good in the evening but a hard frost in the morning is less favourable as the sprinklers freeze up!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy