Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My name's Jeff and I'm a snow addict

Poster: A snowHead
I can't get enough of the white stuff.

I suspect many others here suffer from the same condition.

Tell me - with winter almost upon us - how did you get through the year without your fix?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Maximise the season - begin before Xmas, ensure you get some skiing in April!
2. Dream a lot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The second half of 2 years away was relatively easy. The first half wasn't Sad
(And now, I'm regaining enthusiasm just in time Smile )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike, same here! Does anyone else suffer from the anxiety that they may have forgotten how to ski between April and December, and start thinking through turns in their head at this time of year? Sad, isn't it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman,
Quote:

Does anyone else suffer from the anxiety that they may have forgotten how to ski between April and December, and start thinking through turns in their head at this time of year? Sad, isn't it?

Yes, definitely having a crisis of confidence right now. Can I still ski?. Several "iffy" outings to MK/Tamworth have not quelled the inner disquiet. Sad and scary Sad Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, snowbunny, at least you've skied within the last year. I haven't in the past 2 years(!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mark_s, that's really bad - you need to try harder wink snowHeads has convinced me that 3 trips a year is really the minimum you can get away with...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mark_s,
Quote:

laundryman, snowbunny, at least you've skied within the last year. I haven't in the past 2 years(!)

Unforunately, the last time I was on a resort slope, a woman crashed into me, breaking my collarbone, which then took 16 weeks to knit, and I am still in recovery from the AC joint damage Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson, GCSEs last year, and being of a young age, my parents like to be overprotective. However, as of next season (when i will hopefully have a job), I'm aiming to make a few more weekends, and possibly organise a week with friends from school Smile

snowbunny, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
That's very unlucky, hope it isn't too painful to ski with (if it is, have it surgically removed Cool )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
'Does anyone else suffer from the anxiety that they may have forgotten how to ski between April and December, and start thinking through turns in their head at this time of year? Sad, isn't it? '

Absolutely!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
... Does anyone else suffer from the anxiety that they may have forgotten how to ski between April and December, and start thinking through turns in their head at this time of year? Sad, isn't it?

Right on the money, I even get anxious between December and February Sad

Agree with the min three trips a year stratergy and would just add, always book a couple of lessons on the first few days to 1) remind you how your legs work with skis attached and 2) get guided round the mountain so you know which runs you can handle. This makes a world of difference to my confidence.

Of course if you are going back to a resort you know then (2) is of less benefit, but with so many places to ski, why go back 'til you've seen 'em all!

Val D (first visit) in 7 days time, already counting the seconds. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan,
Quote:

always book a couple of lessons on the first few days to 1) remind you how your legs

I always book my lesson on the 3rd day just as the style is coming back and the Oh sh*t I'm skiing worse than last year begins to diminish Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I the only one here who thinks they are actually better than they are? After watching boarding programmes on the Extreme Channel I always fall under the illusion that when I go away I'll be pulling 1080s. Sadly this is never the case.

I remember last season on my first run out I tried helping a couple of 1st timers to side slip and ended up falling on my ar$e. Not very cool, at all.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EASY - SUMMER SKI-ING!!!! A trip in summer (hot in resort to satisfy most sun worshippers), a few days at Toussaint (mondial PSB here), early season and late season (EOSB). Of course it's easier for residents of alpine areas. Sorry.....
latest report
easiski,

Me and Mrs Axsman actually did try the summer skiing at L2A this year. we did a driving 'tour' of France in Late July and spent three days in L2A staying at Chalet Mounier (very nice, if a bit pricey). To be honest although the novelty factor was fun, the skiing was not great. The glacier seemed to be basically melted crushed ice, and for skiers of our limited ability, it was a bit too much like hard work.

What was interesting was to see the mountains 'bare naked'. They were somehow more 3D without the flattenting effect of all the white stuff and until this trip I had never realised how much rock carving goes on to build the pistes. The top of L2A looked like a building site.

We did have a great time, and did quite a bit of walking (and lying in the sun sipping cold beer) I really like L2A, but I just wasn't very impressed with the summer skiing.
ski holidays
Flight to Buenos Aires then internal to Mendoza or bus.

Or Flight to Santiago - you can be skiing within 2 hours of landing.

Far better skiing than Euro glaciers, you get to hang out with pros & a different cultural experience. Worth a trip for every keen skier or boarder at least once as their summer holiday.
latest report
AxsMan, The whole thing about summer ski-ing is that it's a) great to do it in such lovely weather, and b) it's a really good (and cheaper) way to improve. (prices on the whole 25% less than winter for lessons) You found it hard work - there must have been slush when you were here - very good practise for heavy off piste snow for instance!!! It's not like winter ski-ing, of course, but for a ski-ing fix while also doing other things it's a great family holiday (IMO).

Interesting what you say about the work going on - I suspect most winter skiers never think about all that infrastructure and how it gets there!! I agree it was a building site this year. Hopefully there'll be a bit less next year.

ps: "The glacier seemed to be basically melted crushed ice," - yes - that's what a glacier is after the piste machines have been at it! But all glaciers are ice.

Were you here in August? It sounds like it - come again in June (much prettier flowers) and much better snow! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

come again in June (much prettier flowers) and much better snow

Yes we were there first week in August. Maybe we'll give June a try!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy