Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS zip on rucksacks

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new zip on back pack for my ABS Vario base unit.
There a lot of different makes to choose from but which one? Main use would be for ski touring so needs a drink system, ski carry option and circa 30 litres but packs down fairly flat when not full.

https://www.abs-airbag.com/us/compatible-partners.html

My current "millet" branded one is getting on a bit and it's very thick/deep so it's a lot of messing about on ski lifts.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you need an 80 litre wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you looking for day tours or multiday. If you start looking into each company's sites there are a few of the bags that seem to be no longer available plus one not shown on the ABS website. Maybe first go through each company's site and make a list of the ones that are 30+l, I think it will not be a long list (especially if you look at the features of each (number of ice axe carries / vertical/diagonal ski carry)). If you want one that is a bit more slimline maybe look for one with compression straps so you can pull it all in.

I currently use the EVOC Pro Team 20l and really like it. I am considering the EVOC Patrol 40l as a touring pack. Although a little larger than you stated it would give some 'rummage' room for finding things.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kelskii wrote:
I think you need an 80 litre wink

Toofy Grin

In my defence - the guide operator did say we would be only be doing day trips from the Vernagthütte so I didn't skimp on things. Still 18+ kg rucksack (without ABS) might have been over doing it a little (felt like 50 kg once we got up above 3000m)

Still can't believe Mick thought he could get away with one pair of underpants for 4 days ski touring.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scski,

Mainly day tours but something that packs flatter when only part full (rather than things settling in the bottom of the sack) so I can get on the lift without taking the pack off when I ski in resort.

This is looking favourite at the moment
Vario 32

Like the look of this too
http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/cham-abs-compatible-28_DKDB302_product_dynastar-equipment-men-technical-backpacks.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, I ski with an ABS with carbon canister 18L Vario and my rule is if it dont fit in there it aint coming, I cant think why you would need anything larger though for day tours, and it stays on on the lifts. I'd start with a review of what you need in there, looks like you're potentially carrying too much stuff about, I'd hate that. Mines big enough for skins, crampons, 0.5L water (fill up more carry less is my thing), spare layers, neckwarmer, first aid, map, guide book, spare goggles, spare gloves, inner gloves, camera, goPro and batteries, leatherman, headtorch, sunglasses, suncream, various snacks, and a bunch of beer vouchers........ cant think what else I'd need. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29,
Kelskii will confirm that I pack far too much stuff. As soon as I leave something behind I need it (e.g. headtorch).
I run hot and sweat like a top gear presenter in Argentina. Have tried tanking up on water before hand but then have to make too many pee stops - prefer to take 2-3 litres on a ski tour. During ski tours I tend to be one of the first if not the first that reaches the peak so then need something thick to keep me cockles warm (thick fleece) rather than shiver as the sweat evaporates off. Doubt a rucksack with 18 litres would be enough unless I buy/use a (compact packable) primaloft jacket instead of a thick fleece.

It might just be the shape of the rucksack, as you can see from the pic above it's short but thick so getting on a lft with it is a pain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB,
Quote:

As soon as I leave something behind I need it

Yep, skins are pretty useful when touring
Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kooky wrote:
DB,
Quote:

Twisted Evil

Bloody hell it's all coming out now isn't it? NehNeh

It was because I swapped stuff between two rucksacks (one with, one without ABS), either that or I'm getting old and forgetfull.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, if you say so........... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Still 18+ kg rucksack

I know a certain SH who could challenge that! - ay Kooky,
Laughing Ange
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So about 20l and carry what Markymark29 does, plus a couple more litres of water? (Is that how bag sizes work... ?)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, I am bringing my 100lt Berghaus expedition sack out this year, purely for touring camping trips Smile

I use the 18lt light vario pack on mine, but have a 25 lt one in case I do longer tours. Pans, kettles etc can be strapped to the outside of it. Actually, my kettle is half silicone and compresses to the size of a plate Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, Ange...and ^^there we have our answer! fafafafafafafaffffafaffffafafffafffffff
I think we need to do a survey as to what SH has the largest sack.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kooky, Fnar fnar......Buster-Gonad wink
snow report
Markymark29, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies, I'm now totally confused and am not sure wether to go for an 18L rucksack or one of these.

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/funniest-pictures/huge-backpack/huge-backpack.jpg

Seriously is there room to get all touring equipment, a jacket and a fleece in an 18L rucksack? (while skining up)

PS Each to their own and I've seen pics with Scarpa and cooking utensils but didn't realise he was kinky enough to strap pans to his sack.
ski holidays
DB, I'd say an 18L would be good but in all seriousness you do have to be pretty ruthless in kit selection and a big fleece wouldn't work IMO if you wanted to carry one. It's clearly a balance between nice to have and minimising weight and bulk, for me I really want to keep my ABS on when riding lifts so I like a taller flatter sack and the 18L Vario is perfect. I used to have a rounder rucksack (a bit like yours on the photo above) and it used to annoy me having to take on/off at lifts.

One other point - you say you run hot, so do I, but I notice you've got a padded jacket, have you considered layering with a shell over, I find this to be a much more effective and less bulky arrangement, you can later up and down and storage is not an issue. I wear a merino short sleeve base, merino mid layer and a goretex shell. I keep a gilet in my bag and strip down to base and Haglofs lightweight gilet when climbing, side zips on trousers open, helmet off, sunnys on, lightweight gloves on, boot up and then get dressed again at the top before the main run ahead, maybe worth considering, it's not good getting wet on a climb then cold on the descent. Been there and it's not pleasant.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 10-10-14 8:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB wrote:
Kooky wrote:
DB,
Quote:

Twisted Evil

Bloody hell it's all coming out now isn't it? NehNeh

It was because I swapped stuff between two rucksacks (one with, one without ABS), either that or I'm getting old and forgetfull.

I bet you've not got to the end of a hike, taken your pack off to put your skins on, only to find that you've packed the old skins you cut to fit your old skis, rather than the new skins you'd cut to fit your new skis Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

For about a minute I considered walking out again, getting in the car, and collecting the right skins, but instead decided that skinning for 3 hours with no contact between ski edge and snow would be fine ....

As for pack size, mine's 33l, but it's not ABS compatible. That said, I don't particularly find it too big. Doubt I could fit all my clobber in something 18l.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
One other point - you say you run hot, so do I, but I notice you've got a padded jacket, have you considered layering with a shell over, I find this to be a much more effective and less bulky arrangement, you can later up and down and storage is not an issue. I wear a merino short sleeve base, merino mid layer and a goretex shell. I keep a gilet in my bag and strip down to base and Haglofs lightweight gilet when climbing, side zips on trousers open, helmet off, sunnys on, lightweight gloves on, boot up and then get dressed again at the top before the main run ahead, maybe worth considering, it's not good getting wet on a climb then cold on the descent. Been there and it's not pleasant.

It might look like it but it's not a padded jacket (actually a Vaude ski-touring shell jacket with eVent). I do the same with multilayer (merino wool gillet etc). Maybe if I swap the fleece for something else that is more compact when packed (e.g. primaloft jacke) I will get away with 18L.
On the other hand the 32L looks to be a bit thicker than the 18L but taller so maybe I will go for that.
https://schwanda.at/304-rucksack

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-10-14 9:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB wrote:
Seriously is there room to get all touring equipment, a jacket and a fleece in an 18L rucksack? (while skining up)

Fleeces are bulky and heavy for the amount of insulation they offer... if it is too warm to wear one all day, leave it behind (I'd apply the same advice to all mid-layers). Alternatively, you could just strap your bulky layers to the outside of your pack on the way up, if you're just skinning and not actually scrambling or climbing. My suggestion would be to change your outfit... get a lightweight shell or softshell (or just a windshell if its a hot, sunny spring day), a mid layer to leave on all day if it is cold enough and overlayer with a lightweight down or synthetic jacket (eg. patagonia nanopuff or one of its bajillion clones) when you get chilly.

I'm downsizing from a RAS 22 to a RAS 18 this season (to fit on lifts better)... if you can wait til later or maybe this weekend, I'll let you know what I can fit in it wink
latest report
I have a too-big Snowpulse (45l!) which compresses to something thinner than DB's egg-shaped backpack above, so I can wear it on lifts, but is still huge.

I just got my son a Scott RAS 30, which has quite a thin profile. He'll only wear it when he skis with me (doesn't yet go offpiste otherwise), so I can use it the rest of the time.

I also tend to pack too much so I can't see fitting everything in an 18L.

DB, did you consider a down jacket instead of a fleece? They pack down to a much smaller size and in my view they're warmer.
ski holidays
horizon,

Yes!

DB wrote:
During ski tours I tend to be one of the first if not the first that reaches the peak so then need something thick to keep me cockles warm (thick fleece) rather than shiver as the sweat evaporates off. Doubt a rucksack with 18 litres would be enough unless I buy/use a (compact packable) primaloft jacket instead of a thick fleece.

Considering one of these ....

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/just-in---patagonia-nano-air-hoody/13391.html

http://youtube.com/v/AEgR7hCTH10
latest report
Just went into the local outdoors shop, just to look you understand. Under no circumstances whatsoever was I going to buy anything.

So after comparing the 18L and 32L vario rucksacks I ended buying the 18L and a primloft jacket rolling eyes Embarassed
(If all my stuff doesn't fit in the 18L I can go back and swap it for the 32L)

http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/images/products_zoom/prod705/ABS_2014_Powder_15l_Zip-on_LimeGreen_Base_Unit_Grey.jpg?osCsid=mh0v2jrav6gf12jspjkk1ui7s4

http://www.vaude.com/en-NL/Products/Clothing/Men-s-Sesvenna-Jacket-indian-red.html
ski holidays
DB, well done, great choice of sack!
snow report
Just tried to fit all my day-trip stuff in the 18L Rucksack - based on me stripping down to a T-shirt and touring pants.

Camelbak (circa 2L)
Crampons
* Skins
Thin long sleeved top
Soft Shell gillet
Primaloft jacket
Event touring Shell jacket
2 pairs gloves (1 thin,1 thick)
Ski Goggles
Metal shovel & probe

..... and it was tight but managed to squeeze it all in. The pack is much slimmer than my current 28L pack.

* In reality it's unlikely that the skins would be in there too (they would be on the skis).

Clearly too small for multiday trips (I'd use my old 28l or a 50l zip-on-rucksack for such trips) but ideal for day trips and resort based skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy