Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
EDITED: 08/10/14 - so instead of ADH we have gone and booked Val Thorens, anyone been before? I have skied the three valleys before, but it is going back about ten years ago. Ski area im guessing is good, nightlife? whats peoples opinions.

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-10-14 21:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gethin89, not sure about the other stuff but ADH is really good for complete beginners because the slopes immediately above the resort are very shallow and it generally gets steeper the higher you get

for nervous skiers, I'm not sure. the greens around the resort will be fine, but some find that there is a bit of a jump in standard between early intermediate runs and early advanced runs. there are some great blues and reds, but there are quite a few which are a bit tricky and could lead to emotional moments

hope that helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gethin89, there have been a few recent discussions about ADH - here's one.

As Arno says, the beginners area is really good and fairly extensive/accessible. I also think that the progression needed to get off the beginner slopes is fairly steep. Violettes, a green run tucked well away from everything else is a cracking area to learn on.

It is worth noting that towards the end of the day, quite a lot of the beginner areas are the through traffic route back to the resort, so it can get busy at certain times. I wouldn't let that put anyone off, just something to be aware of.

IMO, the apres isn't banging - there are livelier resorts.

ADH is generally reasonably high, so the snow should be fine - usual caveats.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another post and discussion here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for your replies.. ADH is the only decent deal we have found flying from Bristol, without going back to andorra/bulgaria. I have skied france and austria before, but when I was younger, may be hard to judge, but would you say the average red in france to that in Andorra differs much in terms of difficultness. Thank you for linking the other topics, I will look through them now.

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gethin89, if you're flying into Grenoble book a transfer with Ben's Bus while there's space. £46.50 return is pretty cheap compared to your average transfer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gethin89, having skied in Andorra and quite a few French resorts, on balance, I'd say that the red grading in Andorra tends to represent slightly easier slopes than France. Appreciate that that is a generalisation and I have only skied Arinsal/Pal which are not noted for being overly demanding.

Certainly, ADH is more demanding than Arinsal/Pal and Arcalis. The beginner area in ADH is as good as anywhere that I've seen and way better than most for access and size.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in Les Melezes last year (feb half-term). Yes they are pretty basic, but everything was perfectly fine. Its a short walk/pole across to the first lift up in the morning (The Marmottes) but its possible to ski right back to the building by keeping over to the extreme left-hand side looking down the mountain (took us a day or 2 to figure it out). You end up going through a little tunnel, in front of (I think) Club Med, and down to the back of the apartments.

You can also easily reach the "scare-chair" across to Auris-en-oisans which is a nice area.

The locker room was plenty big, and warm. Probably the only down-side is the distance from night-life. There is a shopping centre at the base of the Marmottes, but I'm not sure whether there are clubs/bars. (We are a family with kids, so not really high on our priority list).

We had a lovely time, and would certainly go back (to the resort and the apartment).

Anything else more specific that you want to know - fire away and I'll help if I can

LR
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gethin89, Hi, We're heading to ADH, via Grenoble and Bristol on 18th Jan. Two of us, early 50s but with similar amounts of ski experience. Not skied for 3 years so rusty!

Skied there about 15 years ago, 2nd time out and it was fine for nervous beginners. We've booked an apartment in the 'leclose area which was great value.

Also looking at Ben's Bus

High enough to have good conditions so hoping for a good time Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gethin89 wrote:

And last question, My Girlfriend has three weeks ski experience, but is a very very nervous skier, and can barley do a red in Andorra, what does the slope difficulty compare to that of Pas de La Casa, as she is in two minds weather to come at all really.

My wife was a very nervous* skier and she was ok on the main resort-facing area. She didn't feel the need to explore the whole resort, though!

(*nervous enough to have dropped skiing entirely in the last years).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a hug fan of VT - everywhere is ski in ski out, guaranteed good snow (when are you going?). Good après with a great party atomosphere at the Folie Douce on the slopes in the afternoon to lots of bars and clubs on Bar Street. Good choice!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I'd also say, good choice. Can be a bit exposed, being so high up, unless taking the 3-V pass, but I guess your OH may not be looking to venture too far afield. Certainly there are some really accessible, fun and straightforward pistes that will suit the more nervous skier.

Folie Douce is great, though its fairly early in the season to fully appreciate.... i.e. more fun in March/April Toofy Grin

Plenty of bars to suit most tastes all round the resort. I'm sure I posted up a map of bars etc on another VT thread - will see if I can find it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am going 17th Jan for a week. My girlfriend is no longer going with the group now, she would "rather spend money on clothes". I don't think she like the fact the hotel doesn't look very good (olympiades). There is now 5, possibly 6 of us going, all same ability. Should be able to ski most of the resort, except a few of the more trickier slopes. Really looking forward to it now, Been to Pas de la Casa, the last two years so glad we have gone somewhere different
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy