Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing 2015 nightmare! Advice on Meribel please...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to organise a holiday next March for a bunch of about 10-12 people of mixed abilities and ages, and with lots of different requirements (herding cats is nothing on this).

We've skied in Les Arcs for the last few years, so want to try somewhere different this time but still within reach of the Eurostar. Meribel has been suggested, but I'd like to know a bit more about it. Ideally we want to stay somewhere it's easy to get on the slopes (preferably ski-in ski-out) for those of us feeling a bit too aged to carry skis far in boots (that's me), and near nightlife for those of us who are still up for it (that's not me).

Which bits of Meribel would be best to look in?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd avoid Mottaret. Whilst there is plenty of ski-in ski-out accommodation, if you're up the hill you're a long way from any nightlife (down a LOT of stairs!), and the slide down to the lifts is a bit intimidating for 2nd-weekers and too steep for beginners.

The main bit of Meribel should be fine, but I'm sure there are people who can advise you better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't offer much on meribel except that much accommodation is not ski in/out. Mottaret much better for that. My main advice would be to a avoid first week of March. Last week of the french school holidays.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There were no stairs at the bit of Mottaret I stayed at. Ski in ski out with funicular from apartments down to town.

Nightlife non existing, need to get shuttle to Meribel ( if you must)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thetaxwoman, you need a chalet in Meribel whose operator includes minibus (shuttle) to the lifts in the morning if you can't find a ski in ski out accommodation upslope of the Chaudanne Central area. There are lots of tour ops who offer the bus, and often pick up in the afternoon as well, which is a recognition of meribels layout and topography.

I echo Filthyphils comment about Mottaret, there are those apartments at the end nearest the Lac de Tueda though I have never stayed in them. Also if you stay on the other side of Mottaret, up near the Hameau you have got the issue of the stairs, which we had to cope with when staying with mark Warner a good few years ago. The slopes into Mottaret are on the steep side for beginners whereas those into meribel are more gentle.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about looking at La Tania if you want to ski that area? Not sure how good the nightlife is but there are a few bars in the village and most accomodation is pretty close to the slopes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val Thorens?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a free bus that runs round Meribel quite frequently. I've just booked a group of 7 for early March, 200m from lift, 50m from bus stop. I'm not too bothered about ski in/out these days, you do pay a premium for it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes Le Lac or Val Claret? Not a bad transfer from BSM and a minibus cost spread among 10-12 shouldn't break the bank.

There are ski in/out options (or very close to) and a few livelier bars. Plenty of terrain variety for a mixed ability group.

The La Tania suggestion isn't bad, either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes isn't ideal for beginners though..assuming there are beginners in the group if it's 'mixed abilty'.

In fact Val d'Isere is probably better, and the nightlife/apres is brilliant for those who want it.

I'd go for Val.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why is tignes not ideal for beginners? We thought it was great for ours, very forgiving. Val d'Isere on the other hand almost put two off for life (although I agree nightlife is great)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Cuisine have several Chalets very close to the Meribel pistes, we have done group trips with them and been very happy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thetaxwoman, you may not have noticed but Eurostar are starting up a Geneva service in December. Tickets on sale as of tomorrow 9.10.14. Change at Lille but apparently to be timetabled to make that easier.

Opening up all of French Portes du Soleil, Grand Massif, Chamonix valley, Val d'Arly, etc. All an easy transfer from Geneva station (transfer companies will pick up there).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember that it's the Alpine skiing world cup in Meribel from the 18th to 22nd march next year. It's probably going to be very busy/expensive in town, not so sure the slopes will be too busy (I presume most will be watching) but a few of the runs will be closed off as well. Worth avoiding this week
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
captainslack, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Helpful advice.

Thought there was plenty of terrain suitable for beginners, personally, especially with the uplift/download options, not to mention the absolute beginner run in Le Lac (assuming it is still there). As skiing in Les Arc has been mentioned over the last few years, by the OP, I'm sure the group would cope well with Tignes.
latest report
Val Thorens has a lot of ski in/out options, and enough nightlife.
snow report
I would suggest La Tania too. Easy to drop into either the Meribel or Courchevel valley from the top and choice of runs back down (including a long, winding green). Lots of great chalet accommodation, most of which is ski-in, ski-out (can especially recommend Alpine Escape - fab chalets and top-notch food). Very easy transfer from Moutiers (around 30 mins by taxi/chalet minibus). Some nightlife in the resort, but a short taxi ride to Courchevel or Meribel for those who want more action.
ski holidays
Cripes! It's an 8h10 journey to BSM. I'd look into the Geneva options if I were you.

But, my word, is the Eurostar website not just horrible?

Give Loco2 a go as of tomorrow.
snow conditions
a.j., of course Tignes has beginner slopes but they can be very busy and crowded with fast skiers whizzing by, as some are thoroughfares to main lifts (like the Funiculaire). I also don't think there are many gentle progression slopes, as some of the blues are really quite steep. But there are some.

Val has some lovely beginner runs on Solaise and above Bellevarde, the mistake comes when novices try to ski back to resort level and attempt Santons or the green at la Daille.
ski holidays
I agree that val d'Isere is fine for beginners and early intermediates unless they are daft enough to try to ski down. Val thorens probably better for ski in/ski out though.
latest report
^ would agree on that for VT, yes.
snow report
Thanks all for your suggestions. Finally herded my cats into a great looking chalet 5m from a piste near meribel centre. Eurostar booked - yes it's a 7 1/2 hr journey, but much shorter check-in and transfer times. So much less hanging around, and you can get up and go to the bar en route Very Happy. Can't wait!!
snow conditions
Nice one, thetaxwoman. Hope you all enjoy snowHead
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
Nice one, thetaxwoman. Hope you all enjoy snowHead

Seems like they are going the same week as me Mr Cacciatore. Perhaps we should ski together?

Do the words "They look like beginners, we'll follow them", ring any bells?

What would you recommend? From your first hand experience of course.
snow conditions
I think, mr edde, that it is not generally good practice to follow anyone in a near white out, but particularly if it later transpires that they happen to be beginners...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy