Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

in the real world

Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone i would appreciate thoughts and inputs on my predicament....

i have being embarking on doing some basi courses, did level 1 last year as i had some spare time on my hands, am in the middle of adaptive 1 (just done the first weekend) which was great, i am signed up to do basi 2 in december.....

however i am wondering is this all really worthwhile or am i just doing it for the sake of it.....with a family and the fact that i am 44 makes spending time in the mountains doing courses difficult; i dont want to really do teaching in the snow domes in the uk, and i would say that level 3 is probably about the ceiling on my ability, i think that at my age its unlikely that i would be able to pass the eurotest

all this makes me think that maybe think that doing the courses will be too complicated for family life and maybe i would be better off just being canny with my time and spending more time in the mountains with the family not necessarily instructing

thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you want to teach?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i like teaching but i would see it as a lifestyle and wouldnt want to do it in the uk, but i wonder what the rest of my clan would do whilst i was out teaching..... also realistically i wouldnt be able to teach in france which is a big bit of the market
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajc2260626, have you asked the family what they think? and if so, what did they say?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say complete L2 as that gives you the option to do a few weeks in the Alps for a ski school like Interski, then spend the money you might spend on BASI courses getting general technical training or a bit more free skiing time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What rob@rar, says.

Although I some know that have done it successfully, I am doubtful about pursuing a teaching qualification as a means to learn general skiing, nor to have more fun on slopes - unless you really, really want to teach.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the missus is pretty laid back as she likes skiing so is prepared to move out to the alps (which we may do anyway for a season next year as circumstances will allows this)

i am beginning to think that maybe it was "mid life crisis" lol and that maybe i should just do something to part time in the mountains to get me out of a bed in the morning for a season , any ideas?

under a new name, i think you last bit hit the nail on the head, i think that i thought that it might be quite a nice way to spend my time and have fun on the slopes but all the other issues really mean that i might be better off either doing a part time job or just trying to get 4 - 5 weeks on the snow a season.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajc2260626,

If you may be moving over there for a season why not complete the LvL2 and see if you can get some work over there if you do go. You will then have a chance to see if it is something you would consider as a career change either now or in the future. If you do enjoy teaching then see how you would fare taking your LvL 3 BASI if not then as rob@rar, says put the money into further technical training or more skiing time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends if you like teaching, and if so what puts you off teaching in the UK? I'm same age, lvl3, kids in primary school, and find teaching is a great way to get the most from limited local skiing. Then if you do get away for the season you'll have work experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Lad has completed his ISIA except for the language interview which is imminent.

You say ISIA is the limit of your abilities, bear in mind that it involves a lot of courses, a lot of teaching hours and a LOT of training.

The Lad has no plan to do ISTD, but he does plan to do some of the L4 Tech and Teach weeks...wy bother if he doesn't want to go all the way?
You may well ask that....the reason is because BASI courses are actually very good value if you look on them as very high quality instruction weeks, rather than exams to pass.
Ski Schools do not offer high level instruction in groups, one would have to pay for private lessons and that would be very costly...very!
A ski school instructor will only be a bit better skier than the "pupil" in such lessons, unlikely to be anywhere near as good as a BASI Trainer, unless you are very specific indeed in who you go to.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a similar age, started skiing Jan 13, did my L1 a year ago (Sep 13), L2 March 14, I've also got my own business and 4 boys aged 11 - 18. My goal is ISTD by the time I'm 50.

I love the teaching, love the time on snow, I've got some self-employed work at Castleford, teach for a ski club and this season have 2 weeks with Interski in the Aosta valley in March. On top of that I'm doing a weeks training, a week on the Mountain Safety course and a week with the family, but the 2 weeks in Aosta don't really cost me anything.

My plan is that it gives me some options for doing some part time work when all the boys have grown up.

As others have said either the BASI courses themselves or the training to support them are very good vfm when compared with other options. For my part I love the training as well as the teaching.

There were several people on my L2 that live out in the PdS and intend teaching in Switzerland this coming season; you could teach in Austria as well as in Italy. Not sure that France is the main market tbh.

But you've got to do things for your reasons, so if you're not sure you have any, then don't do it, if you do, do!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sounds like a very similar situation except my daughter is 18 months and number 2 is just a thought..... my concern is that it will be difficult doing courses, inter ski etc as i will have to leave the clan at home and i have a feeling that my missus although very laid back about this sort of thing, could be a bit of a liberty......?

maybe i just need to not think about trying to pass everything and treat the exercise as a journey rather than a destination?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

treat the exercise as a journey rather than a destination?

always this. If you think about it you spend so little time achieving your goal that if you're only happy when you achieve it, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a miserable life.

Enjoy the journey, celebrate the little successes along the way, take a look through the window and enjoy the view. Remember to smile Very Happy

Good luck & if you want any specific advice do get in touch.

Andy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajc2260626 wrote:
sounds like a very similar situation except my daughter is 18 months and number 2 is just a thought..... my concern is that it will be difficult doing courses, inter ski etc as i will have to leave the clan at home and i have a feeling that my missus although very laid back about this sort of thing, could be a bit of a liberty......?

maybe i just need to not think about trying to pass everything and treat the exercise as a journey rather than a destination?

Oohya, they are young! I had long break between 1st being born until they're an age which is easier to manage while I'm away.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes they are, hence my concern's......lol
ski holidays
ajc2260626, I would have thought it would be virtually impossible as a part qualified instructor to earn enough to keep a family for a season in the mountains.
ski holidays
ajc2260626, Skiing is not about passing exams.... I have a BASI L3 and coach a bit ski racing on the dryslope --- and some tele when I can. I love ski teaching, but I love skiing more wink These days Mrs Ski and I get to ski 5-6 weeks a year --- which is much more time than I used to get when working full time on snow.
snow report
ski, couldn't agree more.... i think that its my competitive nature rearing its ugly head of wanting to pass what test get put in front of me.... lol
snow conditions
pam w, yep absolutely.... i am in the lucky position that the on the cash side of things i have other projects that can do that for me; the teaching would be a lifestyle choice rather than a economic decision in the hope that it would be an enjoyable way to spend my time....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy