Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding other riders

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I've been to the alps a number of times now and love it! But my problem is finding good riders to go riding with. I've done 8 seasons instructing but while I am not as good as I used to be when I did 100+ days a year, I want to go off piste and love doing steeps. I'm not much of a park rider, too old for that now - my bones don't bend like they used to. I was introduced to UCPA last season and it was really fun. I would do it again in a heart beat but my time in the alps is so limited especially when I come from the land down under. The group were a fun bunch of riders but I felt like I was riding better than the guide. I even used to train other instructors and couldn't help analysing her riding. I kept my mouth shut and respected that it was her group. I would get a private guide if I could afford one, a local to show me all the awesome runs would be sweet.

For next season which I am starting to plan, maybe I'll just do another UCPA week somewhere, a week with Switzerland's Youth Hotels and find somewhere in St Anton for the next trip. Maybe I will find some good riders at random.

It just really gets to me when I see so many awesome runs, untouched chutes etc and I just want to hit them. I'm smart enough to not attempt any of this by myself because that would be stupid. My avalanche experience is very limited and I respect the mountains. I also just read that to ride some lifts, you need a guide. Maybe I just become a guide for the fun of it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're only going to be out there for a week?

How to hook up quickly with riders of a good standard? I guess it will be hard to actually get to know the locals in that short a time. A guide sounds liike a good bet.

But here is a thought: once you have definitely decided on your resort, post back on Snowheads to get in contact with seasonnaires / folk who live there to get their advice. Maybe under the resort-specific pages.

You might want to quote your instructing qualifications to give an idea of your level of skiing. I know it's not a direct match (!) but it gives people some idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Bobski62

I might have a friend coming now. Between the two of us, we could split that cost of a guide. That's probably the best way to go. When I've been to North America, I usually had friends working as instructors so I usually just go riding with them on their days off.

My qualification is APSI level 3.

I'm pretty keen to hit up Les Arcs, Flaine or Serre Chevalier for the first week with UCPA, the second week I want to do Davos which I have found a good deal there and then a week in St Anton but need to find a deal for that. I've never been to St Anton because I've never been able to find cheap accommodation. Sometimes I think I could spend the entire three weeks in St Anton because it is so big!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well if you decide on Les Arcs, do give me a shout. Happy to hook up and ride (ski in my case) a bit and can point you towards cheap accom. On that subject, hostels are one way to quickly find others to skid about with - they will usually have a smattering of seasonnaires staying who themselves will be of a decent standard and will have been there long enough to have hooked up with others in the area of similar mind.

One of the greatest pleasures of going down the instructor route has been having a fantastic peer group to ski with. So I can understand your frustration!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy