Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29490869

First fall Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great stuff Very Happy

October skiing is not unknown - and November skiing is quite common over the years. Hopefully not too long to wait now Smile.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How time flies:
- almost 2 months of silence on this thread.
- very green Scottish mountains and November a total write off for tourers and downhillers alike Confused.

But things finally looking up today - snow above about 600m and cover looking not too shabby at all on the Cairngorm Mountain website's upper webcams Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, i can see Glas Maol from the office. Been a while since I've seen it snow covered. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the potential for a good bit more over the next week or so
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Looks like the potential for a good bit more over the next week or so
Hope so. snowHead Bergmeister and I share a birthday (a week on Friday) and have have not yet given up hope of at least some high level touring with the wives. Fingers crossed and offerings to the snow gods continue....Smile.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reports from Aberdeen City this morning of cars coming in from the Shire with snow on their roofs Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@definella I think someone might have been getting a bit over excited if they were reporting that. No evidence of snow out my way this morning, either in the village or on the surrounding hills. There was a good frost though, got down as low as -3.2C in my back garden.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, perhaps just heavy frost. I don't live in Aberdeen anymore but a friend posted it on Facebook.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@denfinella, there was a heavy frost in Aberdeen and surrounds yesterday and the day before - when I took my car out on Wednesday night I had to chip ice off the windscreen and after I'd done that it did look like snow...

Much warmer this morning though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It got down to -4.4C in my back garden early hours of Thursday. Didn't check what the low was last night but it was +3.4C when I looked at around 7:30am but dropping slowly. Nevis & Glencoe might do OK in the next few days if the weather turns out as predicted but I doubt the eastern resorts will see much more than a dusting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cannons on at cairngorm this morning.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowing in glencoe and a wee bit on Cairngorm. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dusting of snow here in Moffat, but a lot more in the hills around us. Forgot what fun it was to run in the snow up in the hills, I fell on my @rse twice this afternoon and very nearly slithered into a burn too Embarassed Hope to get first ski turns of the season in tomorrow. Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow down to the car park at Glenshee!! Photos on their Facebook page.

Went out cycling yesterday and there's some snow on the bigger hilltops in Aberdeenshire. 4 degrees and on-off freezing rain here so would imagine there's some snow going on up in t'hills.
ski holidays
potential at the end of the week for some decent Scottish snow from the BBC weather this morning....
snow report
Well I actually did see a car this morning with snow on the roof. I'm guessing from the direction it was traveling through our village it probably came from Strathdon or Deeside somewhere. Glenshee webcam was looking good earlier! Very white but no depth to it, and tomorrows predicted mild spell will probably thaw what there is so we may well be back to square one on Wednesday.
latest report
Few pics from today on Lowther Hill Very Happy ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157649659082211/

Front of hill near Lowther Hills Ski Club's new lift line

Skiing over the back towards the Dalveen Pass
snow report
@moffatross, just got the tow in in time then Very Happy
ski holidays
Oops, just read the headline from Flickr and realise it isn't working Embarassed
latest report
Wow

Already looking good.
snow report
Best snow in Europe !? snowHead
snow report
Spent far too much time today staring out the office window towards the Glenshee hills.

A day well spent Very Happy
snow report
It's arriving in Scotland

Glenshee

latest report
Looking good with more to come later in the week and at the weekend. snowHead snowHead
latest report
Great pics above Smile. East looks a lot whiter than the west on today's cams (ie Gorm vs Nevis)..... Puzzled
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
East looks a lot whiter than the west on today's cams (ie Gorm vs Nevis)..... Puzzled

That won't tell the full story though. The winterhighland cams at Cairngorm are in a rounded bowl in the NE facing Coire Cas, but the Nevis cams are on the NW face so with the wind blowing at hoolie force from the west, most of Nevis Range's snow will be in its back corries. Snowfall totals will be greater in the West Highlands than the East Highlands. The photos from Glenshee by the side of the A93 are where the snow will collect in the col. When the storm has blown through, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of topsy-turvy snowline conditions like these with all west faces stripped neatly above 700-800 metres... https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157637981937745/
snow report
It looks like a big dump in all the Western Highlands:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of our guys has just got in from Tarland and her car's covered in snow. Saw a few snowy cars in town on the way to work. It's absolutely freezing too.

Any word on if Glenshee will be opening at the weekend? I am likely to be hungover all weekend as I have Christmas parties Friday and Saturday, so the chances of me going skiing are remote, but still.
ski holidays
Cairngorm reports on Facebook "Ski area and all facilities closed today Hill road blocked, ploughs and snowblower working to clear road. We will update later on progress
Cheers
Ops 1"

Taking a look at the Glenshee webcams I'm not sure the runs (that are viewable) have anywhere near enough depth....would love to be proved wrong though!
latest report
I think by the looks of the webcams that the Lecht is the most likely to open this weekend. The main side there (Eagle, Grouse etc) looks like it's caught a lot of snow but the other side looks wind stripped (as does the top of the main side so they'd probably have to shift some snow up to the top of the lifts. Could all hinge on how much more snow there is today and tomorrow.
snow report
Local touring again I think. Snowing on and off so far today and the Euro4 / NMM weather models look very encouraging for rest of Thursday into Friday morning. This was the view over Moffat around 10 am Madeye-Smiley ...

ski holidays
@moffatross, I think that house at the bottom right could do with a bit more loft insulation Very Happy
snow conditions
Lecht looking skiable snowHead

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht
snow conditions
from the Gorm

The Road crew have been hard at it over the last couple of days, but are getting there......
News from the hill today, As usual after westerly storms there are places on the hill with lots of snow and places with very little. The Patrol and Cat drivers are out and about assessing things to see what our options are. There is more heavy snow and high winds forecast for tomorrow with winds easing on Saturday. It is looking promising for opening for snow sports on Saturday, with at least a run to the middle and perhaps the Day Lodge using the Train for access .Other options may be available depending on how much snow comes tomorrow. We will make an assessment tomorrow and have an update by the afternoon.
Thanks
Ops 1
snow report
Lecht and Cairngorm also eporting on Facebook that they plan to open on Saturday with "limited skiing". Weather forecast is promising for Saturday too (not so much Sunday). Could be busy at Cairngorm though if only the Funicular open...
snow report
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/morlich.php

Plenty of snow falling in Speyside right now Shocked
snow report
Wet and cold in Aberdeen - not surprised it's snowing at any sort of elevation!
snow conditions
Quote:
The 2014/15 season is a go.
Here is the plan then....
We intend to open for skiing and boarding tomorrow for the season, It will be a limited offering to start, with an available 2 miles pisted route from the Top Station, Traverese, 105, Zig Zags then Lower Slopes or Home Road back to the Day Lodge. All other areas are unmarked and unpatrolled. It will just be the Train for access with no middle stops. First Train scheduled for 10.00am and half day prices will apply (check the website for pricing details). We will work on opening more terrain and uplift over the next few days, but only the Train is scheduled for this weekend. The forecast is looking good tomorrow with light winds and good visibility. Depending on how many people turn up, we may have to limit ticket sales but we will update regularly.
Thanks
Ops 1

latest report
Ski toured yesterday (Fri 12 Dec 2014) - up the roadside from the closed Glenmore gates. An amazing amount of snow where it has settled out of the wind - up to 2 feet on slopes in the vicinity of the Sugar Bowl car park.

It dumped snow on the way up and got rather nippy with the strong wind (awful with gloves off....). Time was getting on so we turned back a couple of hundred yards after where the up and down roads meet. The snow was disappointingly sticky as we set off to ski down the road. We then turned left off the road to cut down the off piste to the road above the Sugar Bowl. Very heavy snow but we managed a few decent turns and it was just great to be out. It felt more like a British Columbia wilderness experience than Scotland and the four of us enjoyed ourselves (we're easily pleased!).

From what we saw of the ski hill (from Loch Morlich late morning before it started dumping snow) the runs looked fairly filled in but other areas look wind-blasted/scoured.

Photos to follow in the next day or so.... Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy