Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do You Need Carre Neige?

Poster: A snowHead
If you have insurance do you really need carre neige?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always get it. Peace of mind for a tenner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, f you have good insurance you don't need it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In France particularly, it's a question of convenience.
Many resorts' rescue services and medical centres are fussy about which insurance companies they'll deal direct with. U can always pay up front and claim it back of course but if you have the liftpass-inclusive Carré Neige or the Annual Carte Neige, they all just take the number and you're done.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers its about £52 for the 2 of us for 2 weeks, which is not far off what we pay for a years holiday insurance?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just look into it all, if you are seriously injured you will be evacuated and treated and any bills settled later.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not needed it, Dogtag has looked after everything on two separate occasions now Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin wrote:
Many resorts' rescue services and medical centres are fussy about which insurance companies they'll deal direct with. U can always pay up front and claim it back of course but if you have the liftpass-inclusive Carré Neige or the Annual Carte Neige, they all just take the number and you're done.

It's been suggested here that Carré Neige = call the helicopter. No Carré Neige = bloodwagon because British insurers have a reputation for not paying for rescue. Does anyone know if this is in fact true? It annoys me paying for insurance twice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Not needed it, Dogtag has looked after everything on two separate occasions now Confused

Coming to the conclusion and in real terms very expensive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:

+1

I always get it. No hassle = peace of mind. Wish other European countries also adopted the same/similar system.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, never heard of that - would be a deeply unethical decision on the part of the rescuers. Anyway, even if a UK insurer didn't pay out you'd still be put in the helicopter if that was the medically/safety/operationally appropriate thing to do and you'd have to cover the cost yourself.

Carte neige also covers other activities (including off piste and racing) (?globally?, certainly in most of Europe) and is annual thing.

I think it's excellent value for money and would rather have 3 potential insurance companies (accident if in CH, travel elsewhere and CN) fighting over which one was going to pay which amount than any doubt that I might have a liability myself.

There are other schemes in operation, friends have used AXA in the past for example. French residency may have been a requirement.

admin, iirc, Monterosa have an analogous per day with lift pass insurance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you have insurance do you really need carre neige?

It depends what insurance you have. Full winter sport insurance would make Carre Neige a simple waste of money. No insurance such as relying on EHIC for other medical insurance and no other insurance (yea I have friends who do this) will make it more or less essential. The real grey area is a bank account inclusive travel insurance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogwatch wrote:
admin wrote:

It's been suggested here that Carré Neige = call the helicopter. No Carré Neige = bloodwagon because British insurers have a reputation for not paying for rescue. Does anyone know if this is in fact true? It annoys me paying for insurance twice.

Not true, my wife was helicoptered across La Plagne last Feb, medical need and practicality rule the decision in La Plagne. (Dogtag paid for the helicopter the next day.) Other resorts and insurance companies are available.
BTW. The helivac charge which also covered two blood wagons and a skidoo was €750
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
It depends what insurance you have. Full winter sport insurance would make Carre Neige a simple waste of money. No insurance such as relying on EHIC for other medical insurance and no other insurance (yea I have friends who do this) will make it more or less essential. The real grey area is a bank account inclusive travel insurance.

Why is bank account inclusive travel insurance a grey area, any more than any other travel insurance? Surely like all travel insurance, you just need to check what your cover is? Then it goes from grey to pretty black and white! Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Because it asks for extra payment for winter sports cover, but I suspect the trouble may arise with any non specific winter sports travel insurance.

So if you get novovirus in Tignes it may say you are on a winter sports holiday and hence will not cover you even if you are not doing any winter sports activity at the time. Similarly, you have gone with your family but do not intend to ski, then slip while out walking. Or having got off the top station of the lift to join your family for lunch, slip breaking your collar bone and have to be rescued by the pistuers, will you be covered? Or ice skating at the outdoor resort rink? Or sledging?
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Because it asks for extra payment for winter sports cover, but I suspect the trouble may arise with any non specific winter sports travel insurance.

Well that's not true, because mine doesn't!

Basically bank account inclusive travel insurance can be different depending on the bank (or level of policy!), just like all travel insurance will be different (even specific winter sports policies won't be identical).

However, I agree with your general point - it's always worth checking what your policy covers you for. I wouldn't even sign up for a specific winter sports travel insurance without checking exactly what it covers first!
snow conditions
I discovered this summer (fortunately before travelling and without needing to use my insurance!) that undertaking any "prohibited" activity invalidated my insurance for the complete trip, even if the insurance claim event was unrelated. I contacted my insurer before travelling since I knew we would be hiking above 4000m in the USA, and even tho' I was happy not to be covered for this specific activity (i.e. we would spend limited time above 4k and rescue is free in that part of the US) my insurer stated that cover would be withdrawn for the entire trip once I exceeded the altitude limit...

... which required me to buy another policy and then, technically left me double-insured with both my insurance policies stating that if I was insured with someone else, they would not pay! So, in theory, if my bags had been lost on the outbound flight, I'd have had to fight to get the 2 insurance companies to agree who was paying.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

So if you get novovirus in Tignes it may say you are on a winter sports holiday and hence will not cover you even if you are not doing any winter sports activity at the time. Similarly, you have gone with your family but do not intend to ski, then slip while out walking. Or having got off the top station of the lift to join your family for lunch, slip breaking your collar bone and have to be rescued by the pistuers, will you be covered? Or ice skating at the outdoor resort rink? Or sledging?

Its actually 'winter sports' cover that you pay the extra for. A holiday to a ski resort doesn't have to be a 'winter sports' holiday so all of the examples listed above would be covered. As well as injuries arising from sports you are also covered for piste closures, avalanche, sports equipment and loss of use of equipment (following an injury).

Edit - sorry didn't read your post all the way through Embarassed

Sledging / Ice skating does require (in general) winter sports cover.
snow report
Craig G wrote:
johnE wrote:

Its actually 'winter sports' cover that you pay the extra for.

Just to reiterate, I'm not paying any extra for winter sports cover Wink
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Craig G wrote:
johnE wrote:

Its actually 'winter sports' cover that you pay the extra for.

Just to reiterate, I'm not paying any extra for winter sports cover Wink

Not particularly bothered if you do or not. Very Happy
latest report
Craig G, Laughing
latest report
wink

For the record we have travel / health plan through my employers which extends to the whole family, I've always been assured by the underwriters, AXA, that they will take care of everything if I ever get into a pickle but I always go for the Carte Neige cover as well...don't ask me why, I just do.
snow report
Craig G,

Carte or Carre? They're quite different.
latest report
Interesting comparison here. I may switch alliance. http://www.assurski.fr/compare-ski-insurance
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Craig G,

Carte or Carre? They're quite different.

Yes you're quite right and I'm aware of that but for some reason my phone corrected my spelling. I meant Carré Puzzled
ski holidays
Craig G, autocorrect has all gone a bit daft.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
admin wrote:

+1

I always get it. No hassle = peace of mind. Wish other European countries also adopted the same/similar system.

They do, or at least similar stuff. In some places you can buy insurance with your lift pass (Arlberg at least IIRC), or join the Alpenverein (somewhere around €21 a year) and get rescue cover + repatriation) for any mountain related sport anywhere in the world.
ski holidays
Thanks, clarky999. I'm sure the question popped up on one of the Carre/Carte Neige discussions once before, but no answer was forthcoming. Appreciated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
admin wrote:

Not true, my wife was helicoptered across La Plagne last Feb, medical need and practicality rule the decision in La Plagne. (Dogtag paid for the helicopter the next day.) Other resorts and insurance companies are available.
BTW. The helivac charge which also covered two blood wagons and a skidoo was €750

Agreed, they will stick you in a helicopter if needed regardless of insurance status.
snow conditions
We have specific winter sports insurance that we have to take out as we go more than 21 days a year, something to look into by the way a lot of winter insurances don't cover you for more than a certain number of days of actual winter sports and is very very inclusive, there is not much we are not covered for, including being choppered out. This insurance however is good for all are other more sedate holidays.

The most amusing thing though is we had to get that level for our 3 year old as well as she will be skiing that many days (granted only in village enfants) and luckily it was heavily discounted due to age.

However the amusing part of it is because of the high level we had to get to accommodate that many days, we are all insured for Heli-skiing (amongst other crazy things we will never need), so I could technically throw my daughter out of a helicopter at the top of some ridiculous off-piste and she would be insured. I would love to see that claim.

Legal note, and for the daily mail readers - I have no intention of taking my 3 year old heliskiing, this is not an inducement to or admittance of negligent parenting in anyway Smile
ski holidays
gordonrussell76, well, you know, we have some regular clients who were thinking that equipping their 7 and 8 year olds with transceivers might be about to be a good thing. They don't go very off piste, but they do go off piste...
snow report
Fair enough, however right now we are still enjoying the wonders of the pizza/wedge/triangle, so a few years yet.

G
snow conditions
Insurance = minefield

CN covers your backside so you don't have to rely on your insurer. Which begs the question, why do buy the insurance. Que long debate...

A couple of years I risked EHIC+CN. Now I rely on Snowcard, my most trusted of a very untrustworthy bunch and no CN.

It's a minefield for skiing holidays because of the all the definitions of lift served off piste, when you follow/ignore the authorities signs/advice, etc..
ski holidays
We did check up on this when we got our insurance I spoke with pass office and they said just carry your insurance with you. We all have a plastic sandwich bag which contains our passport and insurance docs (make photocopies for each person so everyone always has them on them)

The office said if you are injured just show them the insurance paper and you will be fine, and the event you are unconscious or incapable of showing the papers its automatic chopper time anyway, cheery bunch Smile

Ps that is a direct translation my wife has very very good french.
ski holidays
If you have insurance through your bank account and it limits you in some way, it's worth giving them a call before doubling up on insurance from somewhere else. I rang HSBC to see if they'd cover me this season after the broken leg and they said yes. They also said if I wanted to do more than 31 days (I think) I should give them a call and pay an upgrade.

However, on the question at hand, I generally get carre neige for unguided off piste as it's not very much money and it's easy.
ski holidays
I think it is worth it if you ski off piste as the majority of standard holiday insurance with winter sports excludes this - so include it but with a guide.
ski holidays
The problem with all insurers is with the claims handling - which is often outsourced to another company. Even well-known insurers do this. Whatever clarification your receive before you go, your conversation won't be with the handlers, and so is often irrelevant or worse, misleading. For example, most insurers won't pay for pre-emptive heli-rescue i.e. where you find yourself in the wrong location and there's no way back. Perversely, if you were injured, you'd probably be covered. I take out Swiss heli-rescue cover partly for this reason and partly for summer accidents as well (it's £45 for the family for the year). My experience claiming against an AA travel insurance made me move to Direct Travel, as the claims handler the AA use took 15 weeks and a load of hassle to finally pay out.
latest report
My general rule/advice would be to get Carre/Carte Neige if:
  • you ski off piste without a guide,
  • you're not a beginner (i.e. will ski around much of the mountain) and have only budget insurance that doesn't cover helicopter evacuation or has a significant excess, or
  • you value convenience very highly and have an insurer that requires you to pay and get reimbursed.

If you have comprehensive insurance with winter sports cover and don't ski off piste without a guide it's unlikely Carre Neige adds anything. But this highlights the need to look at your policy details - I can't stress this bit enough (the vast majority of people, though probably not snowheads, never actually compare cover, just pick the cheapest in their category). While not a perfect guide, I go skiing with a group of people who work in various parts of the insurance/finance industry and while it's always offered by the tour operator no-one has ever (to my knowledge) bought it. We do have pretty comprehensive travel insurance though, as you might expect.

As for whether to get comprehensive insurance or go budget + Carre Neige, look at prices and cover details and see what works best for you. Both could be good value and provide an appropriate level of cover.
ski holidays
The one and only time I've claimed on travel insurance was cancelling a climbing trip due to flu (proper flu, not man flu). A real pain as I'd worked hard to be the fittest of my life in preparation. The point is Carre Neige would not have got back the (substantial) dosh I'd pre-paid whereas Snowcard paid up with no difficulty.
snow report
Does anyone know how the Austrian Alpine Club insurance stacks up. It seems pretty thorough to me for anyone going off-piste and ski mountaineering and yet is not expensive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy