Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Selva from Venice airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please help! We are trying (and failing) to figure out the best way to get to Selva from Venice .

When I was initially researching the trip, I remember reading about a subsidized transfer bus from nearby airports to the Dolomites resorts. But now that we have zeroed in on Selva, I don't think that shuttle goes to that particular town (if I am reading the information on that site correctly). Or could we maybe use that service to some other nearby town (Canazei perhaps?) and then take a cab?

I understand we could also take the train to Bolzano and then a bus to Selva, but I can't figure out how to look up the bus schedule. I am concerned that it is irregular and that we could get stuck in Bolzano. Or is it possible to take a cab from there to Selva?

Thank you in advance for all your help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The subsidized bus service from Venice goes to Arabba. Selva is diametrically opposite the Sella Ronda area of the Dolomites from Arabba, and afaik, there's no public transport that goes over the mountain passes. It's at least 2 passes to go over. I imagine a private cab may be possible if booked in advance.
Innsbruck is much more convenient airport for Selva. There used to be a subsidized bus there too, but now I think that needs public train then bus.

Rental car might make more sense.

Bus up to Selva goes from Ponte Gardena / Waidbruck (may also go from Bolzano),which is on the main Bolzano-Innsbruck train line - admin has used that one a few times iirc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alenchic, The subsidised bus service andy refers to run by Dolomitistars from Venice is only for those with accommodation in the Alleghe or Arabba resorts. However there is a bus service from Venice Airport run by Cortina Express which goes to Cortina D'Ampezzo and changing at the bus station in Cortina goes to the Alta Badia resorts as far as Corvara and Colfosco (which incidentally are nice resorts in their own right and worthy of your consideration). The fare from Venice to Corvara or Colfosco is 35 Euros each way, see this. Selva/Wolkenstein is the next resort anticlockwise round the Sella Ronda from Colfosco, and although there is a bus service (line 471) linking these towns it would probably be more convenient to get a local taxi for the final leg of your journey.
Incidentally, you've probably noticed that many of the towns are referred to by both their Italian and German names e.g Selva/Wolkenstein and Colfosco/Kolfuschg Laughing

If you do go by train to Bozen/Bolzano then there is a bus service leaves from the station to Selva, line 350
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alenchic wrote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very Happy

Oh I say, one thank you would have been quite sufficient! Laughing

Seriously though alenchic, it's always a pleasure to help out skiers from the US who are keen enough to cross the pond to check out some of the skiing in Europe. snowHead

Regarding your travel plans, if you are definitely staying in Selva/Wolkenstein then if you want to go by train to Bozen/Bolzano and bus from there to Selva then when you arrive at Venice Marco Polo airport your best option is to take the frequent ATVO Fly Bus service from the airport to Mestre Railway Station. (Mestre is the main railway terminal on the mainland). More information on bus connections from the airport here. The ATVO Fly Bus service to the railway station is direct and takes about 17 mins. The bus has plenty of luggage compartments to load your luggage in before you board the bus.
I've not done the train journey myself, but from Mestre I believe you will have to change at Verona to reach Bozen/Bolzano. Italian train website trenitalia will have all the relevant information.

Personally if I were doing the journey myself and the Cortina Express bus service ran on the day you arrive at Venice Marco Polo airport (best to check of course) I'd do the Cortina Express route to Colfosco then arrange a local taxi to Selva. This page shows about 6 local taxi companies (with their phone numbers) in Corvara/Colfosco.

Hope this helps! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alenchic, of course if cost isn't a problem you could get a taxi direct from Venice airport to Selva - I've used VeniceCab once for a group of 4 of us one way to Colfosco when the Cortina Express option wasn't suitable for our arrival day/time. You'll see that they do a transfer to Selva from Venice airport for 270 Euros for a vehicle with up to 3 passengers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm guessing that you're flying Squeazy into Marco Polo? If so, hire a little noddy car from Europcar. Easyjet and europcar are partners, you'll get discount. Remember to put winter diesel in before you hit the mountains, we didn't and our Noddy died. Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depending on how many people end up coming, we may consider a taxi... 270 split between 3 people doesn't sound like too high of a price for avoiding multiple train/bus connections, while armed with luggage, skis bags and boot bags Smile).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to consider taxis you can ask for a quote for private/shared transfers on http://www.findtransfers.com/ Your request gets sent to local companies covering the area who get back to you directly with their quote.
You might be able to get a cheap deal if anyone has an empty leg they want to fill when you arrive/leave.

Have a great time! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wanted to thank everybody who responded! You were immensely helpful! We are all set with transportation now and are looking forward to our week in Selva Smile.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy