Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva car hire - France or Swiss

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I am booking a car to pick up from Geneva airport and previously have only looked at the Swiss sites - Holiday Autos now prompts you to check the France site as well ! Appears you can pick up in 2 countries in 1 airport. Now I can remember reading a post that referred to that point but can't find it.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or has info on which country is best to book a car in (they both have quite different prices and options) I would be grateful.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swiss side. Its much, much easier and about the same price when you take everything into consideration (swiss hires generally include snowchains and you dont need a pass/permit for Swiss motorways).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swiss side. Its much, much easier and about the same price when you take everything into consideration (swiss hires generally include snowchains and you dont need a pass/permit for Swiss motorways).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philstor, I booked using Hertz to the Swiss side and they include snow tyres and snow chains as part of the price. Prices have sky rocketed recently, I booked a Ford Mondeo on 9-11-05 for £140 for a week starting 7th Jan. It's now £190 for a Fiat Panda.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always book Swiss side. There have been a couple of threads discussing this issue - a quick search using the Search Facility should find them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
philstor, just in case you are still thinking - Swiss side.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have booked on both. Swiss better but I could never find a close petrol station and ended up paying the fuel charge ahhhhhhhh.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisb, I always fill up in the service station on the A41 shortly before you join the A40. Although it's about 20 minutes drive from the airport just so long as I fill it right to the very top the fuel gauge still reads full by the time I get to the rental return garage. This saves driving around looking for a petrol station near the airport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
having struggled with petrol in Geneva I reckon that, ironically, the easiest is on the French side, in Ferney Voltaire. It's very easy, once you know how, to get through to the French side, and back again. It's hardly any distance, and easier than the other petrol stations. Also useful to suss out the way through to the French side - the secret is to ignore ALL signs off the motorway to th airport (all of which seem to take you to the Swiss side) and follow signs to Ferney. This will take you under the runway and through the frontier - there's a close petrol station. There's also a massive supermarket, and a Lidl if you really want to stock up on cheap stuff. But I agree with the comments above - Swiss side is much easier for hiring a car, not worth struggling with the French side unless there's a huge price difference.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the map circled in red are 3 petrol stations on the French side under the runway, and all the little purple squares are also petrol stations.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Extra word of warning - the French Petrol stations tend not to be manned & you will need chip & pin - probbaly not a problem now but was a coupl of years ago when I had to get drive halfway back to Geneva to get petrol as there weren't even any locals around who'd trade cash for 20Euros of petrol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For petrol at Geneva airport if you approach it from France, via the motorway....

As you approach the airport, instead of going down into the car hire return bit, follow the road signs for the departures area upstairs (right hand lane). Drive through the ticket barrier, collecting a ticket (it gives you 10 minutes free).
Drive to the end and let yourself out through the ticket barrier - you will drive round to a dual carriageway. On the right, almost straight away, there is a small entrance to an AGIP (yellow sign, black lion motif). You will need chip and pin to use it as it is unmanned at all times.

When you exit, turn right onto the dual carriageway (DO NOT ATTEMPT to turn left - the Swiss police will arrest you for it!!). Drive along to the first set of traffic lights, staying in the right hand lane. Take the first right turning and you drive up and around to another set. Turn right here, onto a bridge and move over to the left hand lane. Turn left here, using the filter lane and you will be back on the road, heading up to the airport.

Hope that helps. Took me ages to find it but is massively useful and worth the effort if you can find it. Next time you're there, after you've checked in, from where the Easyjet check in bit is, walk outside and look over to the right and you can see the petrol station I'm on about!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Extra word of warning - the French Petrol stations tend not to be manned & you will need chip & pin - probbaly not a problem now but was a coupl of years ago when I had to get drive halfway back to Geneva to get petrol as there weren't even any locals around who'd trade cash for 20Euros of petrol

The Swiss stations also use chip and pin. Apart from major ones they'll operate similar hours to the French ones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have yet to find a French petrol station that will take any of my UK chip and pin cards, though they work OK in most supermarket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
i have yet to find a French petrol station that will take any of my UK chip and pin cards, though they work OK in most supermarket.

That might depend on their mood Very Happy I stopped at one once and tried to use my German EC card which they refused, we discussed it and they were adamant they didn't accept that card. Which would be fair enough I suppose, but only the French could carry on arguing the point after I showed them receipt from two days previously from the same station that I still had in my wallet Very Happy
latest report
Swiss side only other wise you can't use the Swiss Motorway!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you can get stuck in Town!!
Two things If heading back from Cham etc - there is a petrol station between the two Tolls - Fill up there - to the top Your tank will still read full as you get to the airport.

Cheapest car hire www.nova.co.uk Unless of course you have an American - Credit card and go direct on to a car co with a Yank address! Don't know why rip off uk I suppose!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy