Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Directors 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, this is long overdue and probably too late but here goes.

I bought these skis summer 2012 after spending a lot of time complaining about the fact that I was eating more snow off-piste than I was actually skiing it. Jon recommended the 188s and while I was slightly reticent about the length initially, I bit the bullet and bought them.

Initial impressions:

Oh my god, what have I done? These are too long, too heavy and my knees, my poor, poor knees. Awful, awful, awful on piste but ok off-piste. But too long, too heavy and my poor knees.

Later that season (week 3 of skiing), on an UCPA off piste course and everything slowly starts coming together. Yes, they're still heavy and probably too long but its starting to make sense.

Final and more lasting impressions (2013-14):

Some exceptional snow last season meant I spent about 2 and a bit weeks on these skis. More lessons, more practice, less falling. Wow.

On piste: Still compromised but will do for most part. If you spend all day on piste, these are not for you. If you use the piste to get to bits of off-piste (and you're not a fat Be Nice please!), these will be your friends.

Off-piste: Excellent ski. Whether it is icy couloir or fresh powder, these skis will do everything. Good edge hold for those "ThisisverysteepandscarywhatamIdoinghere" moments and really easy to turn in tight situations. On fresh, light/ heavy snow, feel free to charge away, carve turns or just smear...basically whatever make you happy. And these made me very happy.

The length never seemed to be a problem as my technique improved and came in handy when travelling at speed in deeper snow and when landing terrain jumps. Nicely damped tails, never felt too stiff or too limp. A bit like Goldilocks' porridge.

All in all a great all round ski with a definite off-piste focus. I'm sure there are other things I should say but I am tired now and well, gushing anymore won't change things.

Me in 2012:
65 ish kg, 175 cm. Probably a level 6 (?) skier.
Confident on most things red and the occasional black. Starting to go off-piste.
Fit (ish) but not quite as fit as I am now.

Me in 2013:
70 ish kg, surprisingly still 175 cm. Prob heading to a level 8 (?)
Confident on pretty much everything apart from icy, house sized moguls.
Fitter than before
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the review Rishie, glad you (finally!) liked 'em. If you're around Mayrhofen or Chamonix this winter, drop me a line and I'll show you some of the exotica in our factory store, including some of the new 2015 CL3 Directors wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the_doc, a really good ski and has been a good friend. Thanks for the offer but no plans for either this coming season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy