Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for a ski carrier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads
In previous years we have put the skis in the roof box - no room in car as there are 5 of us !
However, our new car ( XC90) is taller than our old volvo and with the roof box on would be over 2 metres making it harder at the tolls ( we have the APRR tag) and more importantly won't fit in our underground garage in resort ( head height 1.95m). So we are thinknig of buying a ski rack - at the moment we have 2 pairs of skis to transport but could be more once the kids are fully grown. Any recommendations on a good one to get ?
Am considering the Thule one that carries upto 4 skis and pulls out from roof to make it easy to get the skis off - quite expensive though.
Does anyonne have any recommendations of a good ski carrier for car roof - or for one at the back of car ( although we don't have a tow bar )?

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have the Thule Extender. It takes four sets of skis. It is an order of magnitude better then a fixed rack as you don't climb all over the car and don't get dirty. We have had ours for 6 years. I see no reason why we will not have it for more than twice this - say 15 years. Divide the extra cost by 15 years and then decide whether it is expensive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks 22 dropout - from the research I have done the Thule extender does seem to be the best out there - and agrre the extra cost is minimal over a few years. Could you possible let me know the height of the ski rack. Hoping we might get in the garage in France with the ski rack on the car ! I did email the roof box company last week to ask for the dimensions but they haven't come back to me.
Many thanks
Suzanne
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been using the non-extending version (is it the Deluxe?) of the Thule ski carrier for a few years. I've found it easier to get ski's in/out than the roof box - I'm only 5'9 so I do find myself standing on the door sill, but still quick and easy. IIRC the highest part with that is the top of the binding, and the binding of the lower ski is only 1" or so off the roof, so if you put your ski's together and measure across the bindings you'll get a good idea. The extender may be taller due to the sliding mechanism.

However, I only ever use the rack once in the alps. I'm sure I was told all the road dust/salt isn't good for the bindings, so I try to keep them in the roof box for protection to/from UK. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on that as it would make packing easier if I didn't have to force ski's into the roof box!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a Thule Extender on Thule Aero bars - just measured, it's 23cms higher than the roof of the car. I do you use to bring skis back and forth sometimes, but mostly they stay in France. The road muck probably isn't very good for them but the top of a high car doesn't get that mucky and they seem to cope.

I love the Extender - it's quite hard to balance on a door sill with a pair of skis in both hands - it makes life far easier. We had a box which didn't go in the garage - that was ditched (sold to a SH actually) and I much prefer the bars.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a double ski tube. It just straps to the roof bars of the car, doesn't flab like a ski bag and can give secure transport through airports etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine is called Fred. He's quite reasonable and will, if asked nicely, go and get wine when you run out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Standard roof racks and some ratchet straps; job done.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for the Thule extender. I know that roof boxes are a godsend for some but they can be the bane of my life as they don't fit into standard garages, so people renting chalets near me can't a***d to take them off and park outside the garages, blocking our small lane. Rant over!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy