Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier pre-Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Like to ski the pre-Christmas week (Xmas present to myself...) with a couple of mates - this usually means Tignes, Val or maybe VT because of snow conditions and percentage of resort open - but would welcome the chance of somewhere different.
Last year we went to La Plagne - snow was OK, but chunks of the ski area, including all the satellite villages and link to Les Arcs, were not open as they were saving the snow for Christmas week.
Considering Serre Chevalier this time, but don't want a repeat of the La Plagne experience - can anyone tell me how much of the resort is likely to be up and running (obviously snow conditions permitting) in the week starting 13/14 December?
Or, of course, anywhere else I should be considering as an alternative? Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
40000thheadman, there are some Serre Chevalier experts on snowheads who will be able to give you more information, but I note that there are special cheap passes for sale that week - which could well mean that there is limited skiing available. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/ski-alpes/forfait-de-ski/fin-de-saison/

Many French resorts won't even be open that week. It's a good idea to wait till the last minute and see what the snow is doing, but if you really want to book now and want to maximise the chances of lots of good skiing (no guarantees....) you need to head somewhere like Tignes or Val Thorens.

If you hit good snow that would be a great week to ski, because few people about. But that's, of course, why they often don't open all the pistes!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
40000thheadman, the resort is due to open on the 14th, but opening can be delayed and the skiing limited, as there are simply not the numbers of skiers there to justify employing all the staff required. You can probably say the central Chantemerle/Villeneuve sector will be open as will Monetiere, but they may not be linked up until the following week, and not all of the pistes will be open in each sector. As there has been some rumour of opening for weekends before this date (although not confirmed ones), I'd say there is as good a chance as anywhere of getting some skiing in, but your problem at La Plagne may be repeated in lots of places that week. Montgenevre is close by.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
However, weather patterns in Nov/Dec often seem to favour the Southern Alps, so the conditions may be brilliant. The delayed opening last winter was an exception, it is the first time in 12 years that I can remember it happening.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
40000thheadman, the start of the season wasn't great in the northern French Alps last winter - but better than the South, and better than much of Austria. Other years Austria gets better early snow. Some times the Southern Alps and the Pyrenees do best. It's probably more variable and less predictable than any other time of the season. Unless you absolutely have to book now, it's best to wait.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
About five years ago (I think), I took a school trip in that week to Serre Che and they basically had six runs open for the whole week. All of them above the Monetier midstation; if it wasn't for two coach days to Deux Alpes, it would have been a tough week to keep the kids going. As we were staying in Villeneuve, loading 40+ sets of identical boots, skis etc on and off coaches every day was not much fun. That year had a very cold but dry November/December. We were also in La Plagne last year on 14-21 December and there was probably 20% of the resort open, and that which was open was not well pisted; fot example, the blue Murs back from the top of the cable car was often not pisted overnight-often carnage from mid morning onwards.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the useful info/advice - looks like Serre Chevalier should be saved for a different week! Oh well, back to looking at early deals online for Tignes/Val and Trois Vallees. Take the point about waiting for last minute to get best snow conditions, but one of said mates is one of those anxious types who needs everything booked and paid for months in advance - getting him to wait until nearly October is an achievement, believe me. In fairness, the last four or five years we have managed to get good deals (admittedly crappy hotel with half board, flights, transfers AND full Espace Killy lift pass for just £320 anybody?) and usually decent snow, while keeping Anxious Roger happy with an early booking...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Tho wouldn't be my n.1 destination before Christmas (too much chance of poor weather and poor snow cover), that said, this is a photo from today

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,
If that's you in the pic, then

GIT Razz

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 27-09-14 22:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

davidof,
If that's you in the pic, then

GIT 😛

Sat 27 Sep, 14
22:27     

+ 1000

Thank you cause this just made me decide that there will be no studying for me tomorrow, instead: mountains! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GIT x 2 Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully in a few months we'll be living in the alps, so I can also send irritating pictures to you guys at home!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, not me. Out mountain biking today in the sun. Everything has its season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof,
I'll let you off then Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but one of said mates is one of those anxious types who needs everything booked and paid for months in advance

outvote him....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy