Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggle stay broken off helmet

Poster: A snowHead
My son managed a backward head over heels fall at Hillend dry slope last weekend and in the process the goggle clip back of the helmet was wrenched off. The helmet did its job (please don't turn this in to ANOTHER helmet thread Razz ) and protected him and is otherwise undamaged. He still has a good bit of growing room left in it so I don't want to have to replace it. I've search online for solutions but can't find anything. ANy thoughts on what I could do to keep the goggles on the helmet?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Put some bathroom sealant on the inside of the goggle strap. Or use duct tape over the goggle strap to hold it to the helmet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those always fall off. In my experience the googles though, do not. Have you tried it without the clip - in my case at least you don't need one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup. He tried it last Saturday and every time he raised the goggles they catapulted off the back of the helmet. His instructor kept picking them up and eventually gave up and put them in her pocket. He is only 7 so and wears mitts on the dry slope so he doesn't have a lot of control over what they do. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
question.

if your son has hit his head hard enough to snap the clip off the helmet, do you try that no other damage has been done to the helmet which might compromise its effectiveness?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some options:

1. Do you really need goggles on a dry slope?

2. Duct Tape

3. Tell him to keep his goggles down

4. You can buy self adhesive clips in various shapes and sizes. Some even for holding goggles onto builders hard hats. Should be able to find something that will do the job.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wink Oh, if you "raise your goggles" they'll then steam up. I'm sure there are threads on that, but it's not a good thing to do.

If you want to be fashionable, you could wear the strap under the helmet. I kid you not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ewanmalone wrote:
question.

if your son has hit his head hard enough to snap the clip off the helmet, do you try that no other damage has been done to the helmet which might compromise its effectiveness?

He was fine immediately after and got up straight away. I think it was more of a ripping action on the matting that pulled it off as the clip was a pointy plastic bit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
olderscot wrote:
Some options:

1. Do you really need goggles on a dry slope?

2. Duct Tape

3. Tell him to keep his goggles down

4. You can buy self adhesive clips in various shapes and sizes. Some even for holding goggles onto builders hard hats. Should be able to find something that will do the job.

1. He doesn't normally wear then but when it was torrential rain like it was last week he wanted them on. Plus most of the other kids in the class were wearing theirs. Very Happy

2. Might be an option

3. Mmmmm that might not work.

4. I've look at a few things like that but they didn't look like they would work. Right in front of me at the moment are some GoPro tethers and sticky pads and I'm starting to envisage creating something out of those. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You might get some sticky clips intended for ribbon cables but I don't imagine they would be very robust.

This might work:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300969400151
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Self adhesive backed velcro. Its marvellous stuff. I attached my mates overalls to the wall of an exhibition stand with a few meters of it. He was still in them at the time... Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought these things mounted upside down would be just the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAF2-SELF-ADHESIVE-STICKY-HOOKS/dp/B007JV8VJU/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1411747115&sr=8-17&keywords=self+adhesive+clip&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You have not told us what brand of helmet. It may be possible to get a replacement part. When I broke the goggle clip on my helmet the distributor sent me a new one for free.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go old skool and fashion a duct tape loop to thread the goggles through. Alternatively the Velcro solution has merit until you take a header into snow when it is renedered useless.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'd go old skool and fashion a duct tape loop to thread the goggles through.

brilliant. And dead gnarly.
snow report
Gaza, my OH has managed to do this twice now on his Giro helmet bought last year from Edge and Wax - they have both times popped a new clip in the post to him.
ski holidays
1. staple the goggles to his head.

2. get him to buy himself a new helmet

that'll learn him
latest report
ed123 wrote:
1. staple the goggles to his head.

Even more gnarly Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

I'd go old skool and fashion a duct tape loop to thread the goggles through.

If regular Duct tape isn't strong enough try Gorilla tape - much more robust and the adhesive is very strong
snow report
Gaza, Frankly for what helmets cost, I would bin it and get a new one. It's done it's job, and who knows how strong it is now.
latest report
Ducktape, or cable ties if there are any suitable vents to thread them through, or buy some liquid latex and paint it on the inside of the goggle strap.
snow report
Whats wrong with super glue?
snow report
I screwed a long curtain hook onto littl'un's helmet Used a VERY short screw. Worked fine although she was't impressed with the new look.
ski holidays
He has a "No Fear" helmet so it might be worth contacting them to see what they say.

The GoPro tether bits are still looking promising so I'll give them a go.

Thanks for all the help.
ski holidays

I eventually managed to achieve a solution. Using a sticky pad from the GoPro bits I fixed one of those bag seal thingies you get in Ikea. It seems quite solid and hopefully will hold until it is time to replace the helmet.
ski holidays

Clip open.
ski holidays

With goggles
latest report

They managed to stay on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duct tape
snow report
I'm not sure I like the idea of a helmet with "growing room" in it. To protect the head properly shouldn't the helmet fit snugly?
snow conditions
@Acacia, It could have removable pads, a lot do
ski holidays
Acacia wrote:
I'm not sure I like the idea of a helmet with "growing room" in it. To protect the head properly shouldn't the ghelmet fit snugly?

The helmet is adjustable. It has a wheel in the back that lets a band in or out depending on which way you turn it. My cycle helmet has a similar system.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy