Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Huge Expansion for Zermatt/Cervinia?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Gigantic area in prospect if this comes off: https://planetski.eu/news/6334
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're rather crap as regards news gathering aren't they? A couple of threads on this a few months ago.

Would be reasonably good if it comes off but as I understand it, what you'd then have is two areas linked with a single lift in each direction. And no direct road access to the link. Might open up some fine off piste though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you say, it is not particularly "new" news. But as a frequent visitor to Zermatt I still find it exciting.

The problem for those of us from the Swiss side is that getting over to the Italian side is already a fairly long exercise (not helped by the fact I start off in Täsch, not Zermatt itself). And then we have to make sure we head back over early enough to not get stranded. That is all OK to ski in the Cervinia area for the day. However, add in an 8km lift to the Monterosa ski area and the ratio of travel to ski is looking not great. Maybe I need to find somewhere cheap in Breuil Cervinia or next door in Valtounenche or even over in the Monterosa area. A spare pair of undies and socks and a toothbrush would then allow an overnight stop and then you are talking.

I hope they take the opportunity to improve the Switzerland-Italy link. At present it is potentially long queues to get up to Klein Matterhorn or two drag lifts. They do plan another lift up to Klein Matterhorn and a link between Klein Matterhorn and Test Grigia. However, more interesting would be a link via Furggsattel. They keep showing projects for such a link. First it was a simple elevator-style lift down to the Italian piste below. Now they show a lift connecting Furggsattel with Testa Grigia. Either would be good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnMo, that's a thought, it might open up some opportunities for som eof the local refuges. A pity that the Casale burned down last year. It would have been in a good spot.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Missed that it was old news.

Apologies.... rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, no worries snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just get the Swiss to bore a hole (they're quite good at this apparently) through the Furgsattel ridge into Mussolini's bolt hole gallery!
This used to be accessed via the Furggen cable car on the Cervinia side until it was dismantled for safety reasons, not surprised, I was on it once when it ground to a halt, swinging crazily, then slid back toward the base station about 50 metres, swung around a bit, slid a bit more and eventually carried on its way to the top, deep joy...........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX, did you ever ride the old return lift from Punta Indren on the Alagna side? Running to leap into the wire bucket? Hilarious!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX, You have the advantage over me in having been visiting longer. Although I am a frequent visitor now and am no spring chicken, I was a latecomer to skiing. So I have only been going there a few years.

I quite like the bore hole idea Smile However, I think it would have to be the Italians who do it. The end of the lift at Furgsattel is actually in Italy. Although it suggests otherwise on the piste maps, and it certainly feels as though it is in Switzerland because of the ridge, the first 100 yards or so of that piste are actually in Italy even though the whole of the piste counts as part of the Zermatt ski area and not the Cervinia one. So the bore hole would be from one part of Italy to another.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's 2 initiatives being talked about here, and they are entirely different.
1) Furggsattel to Cervinia. Existing plan (not a project yet) to build an elevator. This only creats an extra connection, within a ski area that is already connected.
2) Cervinia (Cime Bianche pass between Cervinia and Valtournenche) and Saint Jacques in Ayas valley. This creates a NEW connection between 2 areas that are onot yet connected.

On www.alpinforum.com and www.remontees-mecaniques.net there's extensive discussion and documentation on both projects.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Missed that it was old news
And in other news on planetski:

https:planetski/news/Scott_loses out.inracetopole Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Missed that it was old news
And in other news on planetski:

https:planetski/news/Scott_loses out.inracetopole Very Happy

Quote:
As reported previously on PeanutSki.eu.com plastic is set to revolutionize ski boot construction. However dont expect to see plastic boots in the store for next season. Hear at Banitski.eu.org we think this is a positive trend. Well bring you more breaking news as we reseive it exclusively. Our sources in the industry tell us that plastic boots will be stiffer and safer than leather. We'll raise a cup of G&T to that.

http://planetski.eu/news/plastic-to-replace-leather-for-skiboot.cgi

For the spirit of the fountains
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name,
Got to love the Italian way of doing things Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Onnem, you are quite right that the two issues are entirely separate. It was me who linked them. The reason for that is that I wonder whether there is an expectation of some visitors to Zermatt making the trip over to the Monterosa area and vice versa. Obviously at present both Zermatt and Cervinia benefit from the daily exchange of visitors. If there is no such expectation (and that might be the right answer given the distances) then there is no linkage. If there is such an expectation than I am not sure the current links between Zermatt and Cervinia are fit for purpose.

To get to the Cervinia area from Zermatt there are only two methods. The first is to go up on the big cable car to Klein Matterhorn and ski over. However the queues to get on the Klein Matterhorn lift can be very long (hence the project to build the second lift). Plus the cable car operation is very susceptible to being closed due to high winds, particularly earlier in the season. The second option is to go up the two drag lifts. This puts a lot of people off (not me I hasten to add).

The Furggsattel lift is a much more pleasant way to get to the border. Plus it rarely closes because of wind. However, connections from there into Italy wouldn’t necessarily benefit a transfer over to Monterosa as much as I’d like. If they built that elevator down to piste 46, you’d need to ski over to Laghi Cime Bianche and then take the lift up to Colle Superiore delle Cime Bianche, which is where I assume you’d get on the Monterosa lift. Alternatively if they instead decide to build that Furggsattel to Testa Grigia lift you could then ski directly down to Colle Superiore delle Cime Bianche.

As you say though that is all academic as those Furgsattel lifts are mere ideas at present and not specific projects. I am quite excited about having Monterosa opened up though – even if it means a fair old hike from Zermatt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy