Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney La Trinite or Champoluc?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This hardly a life and death dilemma, however, we are looking to spend a good 10 days on the Monterosa area for Christmas and NY. We went to Gressoney La T in the summer, and explored the mountains by bike and lifts so have an idea of the lie of the land and the way the lifts work. If we do go, it looks like we can get a room at a lovely hotel in the main village -the hotel Lo Scoiattolo , a 5-10 walk up to the Punta Jolanda chairlift. It's not at Staffal where the main lifts meet but I think the village is a more attractive option. Over in Champoluc, we have an option to stay in the Hotel Relais des Glaciers which is very swish but somewhat more expensive (an understatement!). We didn't get down to Champoluc for an explore on out summer trip but thought the mountainsides were lovely. We get the impression that the village itself, though still small, has a bit more to it, pretty, but with a few more bars etc. We are good skiers, not into nightlife as such so that's not a big deal. We try and ski on and off piste (with a guide for anything beyond the piste edges or somewhere we know), and are keen to explore the whole area.
Which would be the best base balancing access to the whole ski area , atmosphere and staying in a more lively location? Give we are there for Christmas, we want somewhere that feels suitably festive. First Christmas away for over 20 years for Mr P as his 2 boys will be abroad in the USA and Oz, so it needs to be a good one, as he's only got me for company until a friend joins us in 28th Dec.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
for OP I'd stay in La T but there is (or was last time I Was there) little or no apres.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Champoluc is a more compact village and in my view has more charm about it. Gressoney is spread along a road and as such has less of a centre. The Relais des Glacires is a smart 4 star and yes, it will be more expensive than the modest Scoiattolo. The Relais has an extensive spa and offers very good food. Although Champoluc is to one side of the Monterosa ski area, personally I would stay there rather than in Gressoney. We have run a ski company (Ski 2) based in Champoluc for 15 years and a great deal of our success is down to the fact that our clients love Champoluc village.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perty, I don't think G la T has any atmosphere whatsoever. It's just not big enough!! Without doubt I'd stay in Champoluc.

Champoluc is small but charming. It has a few bars and has gradually been boot strapping itself up in the world in recent years (e.g. main apres ski bar (Lo Bistrot) is now rather smart and no longer lit by some grubby pool table lights as it was when it was called the Galion). The Relais is about 800m from the main lift - will you have a car? as we very often esp. if heading all the way to Alagna, start out from the Frachey funicular up the valley. There is a bus, but I've never used it.

Restaurants: I can whole heartedly recommend either the Sapin (if you like meat, the tagliata is very fine as is the peppered steak, or indeed the mustard steak) or L'Essentiel da Andreone (for fancier and not very alpine food) for Christmas. Or anytime Laughing Good pizzas in the cellar underneath Lo Bistrot. And the Grange at Frachey is apparently under new ownership and doing well.

Champoluc on mountain food is also better with Rascard Frantze and Eric's new restaurant the name of which entirely escapes me. Ahhh, that's it - l'Aroula. Both just off the pistes. Not that the food above Gressoney is bad (it's Italy, right?) but the menus are a little more limited over there.

I'd check out Roger's site as well for alternative hotels, maybe a little closer to the lifts.

In terms of geography, from Champoluc centre you are only a few lifts/runs to Gressoney so nicely warmed up by the time you're riding Punta Indren. From Frachey it's even shorter.

Do bear in mind that more or less you must be avvy equipped if you go off piste and in particular we've been turned away from the Punta Indren lift due to a certain lack of kit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your thoughts. We are now booked to go to Champoluc and the Relais Des Glaciers. Being utter faffers about planning, the hotel options were limited, so there wasn't much on offer for our dates anyway, especially given our plans to arrive on Christmas eve and stay for 11 nights rather than neatly fitting into the usual week long stay.
Yes-we have checked our Roger's website...and in fact have booked the trip through Ski-2 helped by the charming Cathy! In the end it was far easier that way when it came to liaising with hotels for our funny dates. Given the Ski-2 price includes private transfers, we won't have a car (usually we do), but in a way, it means we won't have to feel guilty for not picking our chum up from the airport on 28th when he joins us (so we can be doing what we came for-skiing- while he sits in the departure lunge at Gatwick!).
We had lunch at Rascard Frantze in the summer and can see why it's on the list-such a gorgeous spot and would have been lovely to have bagged a room there for a few days over Christmas, though I guess it probably gets booked up months in advance.

Have avvy gear. Can anyone recommend a good guide for a trio of middle aged intermediate off piste enthusiasts?

Am getting really rather excited already.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gressonay is lovely but absolutely dead in terms of night time but there are one or two decent bars.

Good skiing but if windy the place locks down very quickly
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love Champoluc, you have made a good choice for reasons given above. Have a good time Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey @Perty, when are you up there, thinking me and the girls will be there 14 - 21st...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy