Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to get to serre chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Is there any easy way to get here without going through Turin?

In particular, is it possible to get to serre by bus from either GVA or Lyon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. There are buses. HellsBells will be along in a moment with the real details.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
peanuthead, by far the easiest way is to use Turin airport. You can use Grenoble, but it is more susceptible to bad weather. Buses run from Grenoble railway station, but not from the airport (unless this has changed for next season). Bus from Lyon is far longer than Turin, if it is still running. I'll try and find more details, as I need to update my apartment website. There were weekend train options from Marseille airport last winter, and there is always the overnight sleeper from Paris.
There is no bus service from Geneva.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, would appreciate if you come up with any info. Finding it extremely difficult to find out on line. Realistically only able to fly into GVA or Lyon. I think there is reliable bus between GVA and Grenoble airport. Very keen to try Serre Chevalier as long as we can get there!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
peanuthead, where are you flying from?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at Alpine Transfer services from Grenoble, they are based in Serre Chevalier, may be possible to organise a shared transfer with them from Grenoble depending on your numbers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Geneva to Grenoble airport bus http://www.aerocar.fr/en/ (but you still need to get to Grenoble railway station for the public bus service )

Have a look on here, but the main reason you may be experiencing difficulties searching could be that the timetable is not out yet for the winter.

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/trip-planner/how-to-get-here/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, and easiest of all is car hire, having done this trip many times, it is then up to you to choose your airport, and you are not at the mercy of transfer companies, railways, or bus services.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells : Is this advertising ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NO.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How on earth could this possibly be advertising? Someone asked how to get to Serre Chavalier and Hells Bells, being someone with local knowledge, is helping out hugely and answering the direct question. Nothing at all is being advertised.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1

peanuthead, another option might be to look at http://www.findtransfers.com/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mhemph01 wrote:
Hells Bells : Is this advertising ?

Ahhhh, I get it now rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore, Laughing Laughing . Maybe I should stop being so helpful
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well that is now 40,339 ads, Hells Bells....shame on you....tsk NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells, it looks like I can get a train from Lyon airport to Briancon. Just can't book it more than 3 months in advance. Can you confirm this should be correct? Is there any hassle taking skis on sncf trains? I assume a taxi from Briancon to chantemerle won't break bank. Is there waiting taxi rank or would transport need to be booked?
snow conditions
peanuthead a train from Lyon to Briancon it will take hours and hours. No idea about hassle with skis, but wouldn't have thought so. There is a taxi rank at the stations, but there is also a bus service just outside.

No 40374 before Cacciatore jumps in Toofy Grin
snow report
The train from Lyon will go first to Gap, then probably change train for Briancon....
Try:
http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/
They're based in Serre Chevalier, run by a local ex-pat, sure they can help!
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Laughing
snow conditions
KenX, it actually goes Lyon to Valence and then a change to Gap and Briancon. It is more than 5 hours. Well done on the link to ATC, I did think I had put it in there.
snow report
peanuthead, if you really must go with a train journey, your best bet might be from Lyon St Exupery to Bardonecchia-Oulx via Chambery (it is the Paris-Milan train you want), then bus to Briancon and either ski bus or taxi.
snow report
We used ATC last year for our transfer from Grenoble - they were great although we did have to wait 3 hours in the airport as they got delayed due to bad weather and the mountain pass being closed. Very friendly and accomodating.
snow report
peanuthead, just wondering if you have found a solution to your journey yet? I cam across this via Twitter this morning, which is a regular bus service between LYon railway station and Monetier . http://www.dici.fr/actu/2014/10/09/hautes-alpes-une-ligne-de-bus-reguliere-entre-lyon-et-serre-chevalier-tout-cet-hiver-481901

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 10-10-14 8:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It also looks like the bus stops at Chambery airport too.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
peanuthead, just wondering if you have found a solution to your journey yet? I cam across this via Twitter this morning, which is a regular bus service between LYon railway station and Monetier . http://www.dici.fr/actu/2014/10/09/hautes-alpes-une-ligne-de-bus-reguliere-entre-lyon-et-serre-chevalier-tout-cet-hiver-481901

That looks like a good but long service, it is actually going through the Fréjus tunnel! Maybe that's the best way, what do you think? At least it avoids the problems with the col being closed. 19euros is a great price. Stops at Montgenevre too.

> Geneva to Grenoble airport bus http://www.aerocar.fr/en/

The aerocar goes from GVA to the train/bus station in Grenoble not the airport at Grenoble. It is a long and expensive service. If you take it during rush hour it will be late due to the awful Geneva traffic. It can take 45 minutes just to clear Geneva airport. Honestly I can't think of anything worse than landing at Geneva and wanting to get to Serre Che. Apart from chewing off my own leg, maybe.

As for train, fergedderboutit. At least if you plan to do Grenoble -> Gap -> Briancon. In fact don't bother with trains unless it is some special direct ski service (which there are from Paris and Marseille as you've pointed out), it is always a total nightmare in France. The Gap line to Grenoble is virtually closed now, what are shown on the timetable are frequently replacement bus services.
latest report
If you fly to marseille you can get very very cheap transfers!
snow conditions
davidof, it would certainly avoid bad weather on the Lauteret which I think is the reason Ben's Bus has not extended its service as far as Serre Che.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, thanks I appreciate all your help. I am sorry I have actually now booked Tignes for that week. But I will continue to keep an eye out for new services to Serre or Turin in the future
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead, no problem, it may help someone else looking for more information.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy