Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldeu Very early season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I appreciate last year was pretty amazing, but "on average" how is early December in Andorra snow wise?

Looks like I maybe in Barcelona first week of December and some quick searches reveal I could get shared transport up to Soldeu for some early season turns...

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grandvalira (Soldeu) hasn't announced its prospective opening date yet, but a number of other resorts have chosen 29 November which is what I imagine Grandvalira will choose too.

The bank holiday weekend of 6-8 Dec in Spain is one of the most important dates in the Pyrenean skiing calendar - much to the anguish of the resorts, because those dates are really early; there is perennial talk of lobbying the government to get the holiday moved to a date in the middle of the season so that the resorts can reap the rewards with much less effort. As it is, they all work to get the best possible base down, typically turning on the snowmaking in mid-November (and thus incurring an expense that they otherwise wouldn't bother with until Christmas). Grandvalira is a big player with an almost exclusively Spanish market on those dates, and it takes these preparations very seriously.

So, on-piste snow is guaranteed in all but unusually warm start-of-seasons. As for off-piste conditions, the question really becomes, when will the first big snowfall happen? (In recent years, just one or two big dumps have set up the whole of the pre-Christmas stretch.) Last year it was 14 and 21 Nov; the year before it was around about 1 Dec; I don't recall the year before that but I'm certain it was in time for the bank holiday.

Certainly, all of us who live locally to the Pyreenees will be hoping to get some turns in at the start of December. I think you can pencil your trip in! Keep you eye on this season's (yet-to-be-opened) Pyrenees snow report thread here on sH.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-09-14 8:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pyremaniac, many thanks for such a detailed reply.

I didn't realise it was a bank holiday, I was kind of thinking I'd hold off and book accom the week before, would there still be places to stay if I leave it until the last minute given it is a bank holiday?

Thanks,

Greg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
I didn't realise it was a bank holiday, I was kind of thinking I'd hold off and book accom the week before, would there still be places to stay if I leave it until the last minute given it is a bank holiday?

No problem - that's what everyone else'll be doing too! But you should definitely tune in to the Pyrenees thread in mid November to follow the progress of the snow conditions, and make the booking as soon as it looks like a goer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Grandvalira is scheduled to open on November 29th too (until April 12th)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy