Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
@snowcrazy, @Arctic Roll, act-chew-elly I believe you are both technically incorrect - the area where both lifts termiante is the officially the 'Col de la Shal' (and I believe at least one of you already knew that)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

@snowcrazy, @Arctic Roll, act-chew-elly I believe you are both technically incorrect - the area where both lifts termiante is the officially the 'Col de la Shal' (and I believe at least one of you already knew that)!

act-chew-elly Col de la Chal Very Happy And that is suprise suprise 500m down the slope at the col
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love pedantry and all who sail in her !

I was actually trying to refer to the picture being "from the camera that is mounted on the Arcabulle lift top station"... must remember: 1st rule of s/heads: clarity, clarity clarity.
But still a pretty picture.

Snowcrazy , they seem to have cut down a bit on 1950 cameras this year - the one pointing in the other direction, down main street towards the Clock, also appears to have gone to the great WEEE store in the sky.
I'll see if I can find out if the one on Chalet de Lys (featuring Georges) is out of commission permanently or just taking an autumn break.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, sorry I searched for a tongue in cheek emoticon but couldn't find one
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been away for a few days. Look's like it is getting very thin below 2000m Maybe time to start the snow dances. Seems ok higher up. Hope you like this photo.

Posted by Herve Gouy on 20 Nov 2014, but it does not say the exact date when it was taken. I hope it was last week. Looking good!

@RattytheSnowRat, sorry but @johnE is correct. If we are going to be really correct then the actual Col is where John say. It is the start of the track down to Nancoix. @Arctic Roll, is correct that it was taken from the camera above the top of the Arcubulle chair. However everyone is also right as the whole area is known by all three names depending on who you speak to.

Now for today. The snow level in most places is above 2000m for skiing although there is a bit around lower in sheltered areas. Hope it starts snowing again soon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For anyone not seen this yet, here is another add for Les Arcs worth watching. Les Arcs is ready! Enjoy:D

http://youtube.com/user/lesarcstv

and also this one from a few days ago.

http://youtube.com/v/IWzdUeFTJQU&list=UURiY_FP2PZHeWWuIsMKyxGA

I have to say the new area in Arc 1800 looks really fun. I hope it opens on time Very Happy Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is another fun video to watch. All about the next B and E Slopestyle event in March. Take a look. They will hold the event higher up near the new Centre. http://www.e-adrenaline.fr/neige/actualites/le-b-e-invitational-revient-pour-une-deuxieme-edition-aux-arcs/5266

For anyone that actually is interested in taking part. You can enter the open event if you apply well in advance for the details. Go to the web page link above. You can also have a go on the course before or after the event depending on weather conditions at the time. We had a go last year with some funny results. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having stayed in the golf the last 3 years i can understand what changes are being made to that area but if i was not familiar with the area i am not sure that 1st video would leave much of an impression on me..or maybe my goggles have to dark a lense in them at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking a but green / brown. Sad

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/vanoise-express
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't despair. I am keeping track of temperatures at Bourg - that's 800 metres lower than the lower slopes.

For the past two weeks the typical max day temperatures have been in the 10°-18° range. From next week the max temperature forecasts are in the 5°-8°C range for Bourg - should be ok to keep the snow on the slopes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndrewsPeppers, Not concerned as my first trip is not until the end of Jan, but would be nice to feed the webcam addiction.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it does look a bit brown.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The temperatures are due to come down over the next week or so with a bit of snow forecast too. Still 2 weeks till the resort is due to open so hopefully with lower temperatures they'll be able to start up the snow cannons and the snow gods will finally be kind.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm watching with interest as I'm hoping to get out for a cheeky week on the 13th....! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cannot bring myself to post a photo today. It is still white at the top, but the snowline is about 2400m right now. Take a look at the web cams. There has not been any more snow since I last posted the photos! Sad

http://www.lesarcs.com/webcams.html

I hope the meteo is correct and it does get cold and start snowing during the coming week. Toofy Grin

Time to start the snow dance!!! Very Happy
snow report
@snowcrazy, It must be bad I've stopped looking at webcams... Shocked
snow conditions
Hopefully some fresh snow in the coming week!
snow conditions
Look's very wet up there today. Now it needs to get cold! Puzzled

Quick reminder. TODAY is the last chance for getting the cheap season passes for Les Arcs and Paradiski area. So hurry up, you have till midnight. Toofy Grin
latest report
@johnE, s'not what it says on the official 2014/2015 piste map (bar my typo) {smug pedantic look}

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/LesArcs-PisteMap-2014.pdf
latest report
@RattytheSnowRat, Thanks for the new piste map. I always enjoy looking at the new season's piste maps and spotting the revisions.

Of course a piste map is a cartographical extravagance. The 1:25,000 IGN map shows the Col de la Chal at the col and at an altitude of 2457m a useful fact for setting your altimeter. {smug pedantic look}

But on a slightly more serious note. I notice that the new developments planned for Arc1800 (Mille8) are not mentioned on the piste map at all. Does this mean that they will not be in place this year? In particular, will the Villards lift still allow for a queue free route over to Derby?

Over to you @snowcrazy, for, as usual, the definitive answer.
latest report
johnE wrote:
In particular, will the Villards lift still allow for a queue free route over to Derby?
No, top of Villards gondola is too low to get to the Derby chair.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
@johnE, s'not what it says on the official 2014/2015 piste map (bar my typo) {smug pedantic look}

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/LesArcs-PisteMap-2014.pdf

I think you linked the 2013/2014 map.

The official 2015 map from the les arc site shows the new lift:
http://www.lesarcs.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/plans-station/FondPlanParadiski2015.pdf
snow report
Probably looking to buy a new board when over in January. Any recommend the best shop in 2000 or 1950, might try the hire 1st route. Cheers
snow report
@johnE, @RattytheSnowRat, That was last years map as @ringingmaster, says. The link was already on the front page of this thread.

Thanks for adding the new link @ringingmaster, saved me finding it.

I have now updated the link to the new piste map for this season to the Front Page of this thread. I have also checked all the other links and they are all working right now. If you have not seen them already. There are some fun Videos to watch.

As @rob@rar, says, the new gondola is to low to reach the bottom of the Derby very easily. You would have to go up hill on the piste. You can get to the bottom of the Vallandry lifts from the top of the new gondola using the Forest piste. Also if they take out the Chantel and do not put in a mid station for the new lift next summer you will have a much harder time getting back to Arc 1600 when the high lifts are closed. I hope they have thought about that. Madeye-Smiley

Still no fresh snow in Les Arcs, at least according to the webcams. Just looked. Think we all need to do more 'snow dancing' Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
When the lift company announced last year that they were taking out the Chantel lift we, as residents of 1600, signed a petition asking for it to be retained. It is a vital lift between 1800 and 1600

The Chantel lift offered a nice easy way back to 1600 at the end of the day; it closed very late and is so easy it can be skied in the dark, which I seemed to do regularly. It was also useful when the weather closed in and I didn't fancy the route down from the Vagere.

I hope they retain it.

The direct route from Arc 1600 to the bottom of the Grizzly must be one of the trickiest bits of route finding in Les Arcs. Even now I occaisionally find myself having to go up the Charmettoger, which must be the worlds slowest lift.

Thinking about when I go up the Charmettoger it is usually to link up with the Grand Reynard and avoid the queues at the Transarc or Vagere/Arpette combination. Similarly I find myself using Clocheret rather than the Arpette to go over to Arc valley. Am I unusual in preferring slow lifts and no queues to fast lifts with queues?
snow report
@johnE, I agree about the Chantel lift. I hope they did take notice of what you all requested. BUT please do not share the way to miss lift queues with everyone. Now when it is high season these quiet lifts will be full of snowheads Toofy Grin Skullie
snow conditions
Still no snow yet. France meteo have now updated their info and are saying a 70% chance of snow by Saturday with colder temps for a few days. This is predicted to continue off and on until the 13 December.

These long range forecasts are a bit unreliable, but let us hope it will be correct.

The trouble right now is that the predicted bad weather got blown away from us and the next front is a few days off .

Keep the snow dances going! Very Happy
ski holidays
30 days til I'm there- if it's not started snowing within the next week or so I'll be getting a little worried
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MCL wrote:
30 days til I'm there- if it's not started snowing within the next week or so I'll be getting a little worried

10 days until I'm there, I'm at my positive happy best about the snow fortunes by the time we arrive. We're only there for 3 days too!

Ah well, if it snows it snows, if not we'll drive to Tignes each day.
ski holidays
@johnE, is it possible to get from 1600 to the Vanoise with only one uplift? It does not look it as far as I can see, so probably involves uplift on the Charmettoger as the second lift if Arpette is looking busy as one goes past it? Or all the way to Grizzly / Vallandry and up one of them?
ski holidays
It is possible, but gets a bit slow before and after you pass the bottom of Grizzly. Arpette is the best way in theory, but it's nearly always busy early because it's the link to the 2000 sector.

It is often easier to use Grizzly or Vallandry to put in an extra run. The runs down to Peisey are good fun early in the day.

Later correction: Memory lapse - you can only get to Valandry this way, not all the way to Peisey - thanks to snowcrazy for correcting me.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 5-12-14 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@SteveM, Sadly it is not possible to get to the Vanoise express using only the cachette lift. As @AndrewsPeppers, says there is an uphill bit to get from the bottom of Grizzly of about 50m climb and 500m distance. All in all it is probably better to get the grizzly lift and ski down to the Vanoise Express.

However I have lost count of the number of times I have set off for La Plagne and found myself enjoying the Vallandry sector so much that I never actually bothered going over.
latest report
@AndrewsPeppers, since Arpette became a 6 seat lift I don't think I've queued there for more than 5 minutes. It's admittedly a dull run across the blue but it is probably a reasonable bet.
Or Vagere if it is q'd out of the gates.
snow conditions
I believe if you are lucky with snow you can drop down just before you get to the bottom of the grizzly lift so you would be able to do it. I haven't tried it myself but I believe a few friends did it last yr when the snow was good.
I prefer to catch the grizzly lift as it is a nice run down to paisey from there.

The snow needs to hurry up. I am flying out on Monday to prepare for guests and start my season.
snow conditions
How much of the ski area has snow making? Guess they'll be able to start making some now it's cooling down Very Happy
ski holidays
@AndrewsPeppers, @Snowbee, Sorry to spoil this idea, but as I said somewhere in a much earlier post when asked this question. No it is not possible despite what your friends might have told you.

I think they missed out the bit about hiking back up the road or walking round the back of the big Club Med building. A few years back before this was built you could just about do it without hiking, but not anymore, unless you call pushing on skis or one foot sliding on a board not walking. Bottom line , it is up hill for some of the way now.

Plus I agree with you, going up the lift and riding back down is much more fun, especially if there is enough snow too do it through the trees.

@MCL, I would guess about 2 / 3 of the ski area has snow cannos now. All of the main areas and connecting pistes are now covered even down to Villaroger now. (Finished last summer I think.) If it stays cold, you should be able to get around to most stations when the lifts open. IT JUST HAS TO STAY COLD! Very Happy

I agree with @Arctic Roll, usually the Aprette is ok, however it can have a problem opening on time if it has snowed the night before or was very cold. If you get there and it is closed, head to Charmettoger or Grizzly. Vallandry lift can also have a queue first thing. The old Villar chair was great, but now that has gone.
snow report
newbie to Les Arcs this season,

what is the best way to get from 1600 to the aiguille rouge?
snow report
@mrmrscott,

take Cachette->ski down to Aprette->take Aprette->Ski down the "Plan" to Varet.
or,
take Cachette->ski down to Aprette->take Aprette->Ski down the "Edelweis" to Marmottes->Take Marmottes->Ski down to Varet
ski holidays
@oleksii, Thanks alot Smile
snow report
Or Mont Blanc > Clocheret > Pre St Esprit
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy