Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is open in Europe, now?

Poster: A snowHead
So, interesting situation for me... I basically received a very decent severance package from my old employer, and have already 2 job offers at some competitors Happy

Thinking that I could sneak away for a few days somewhere in Europe and get some turns in, but don't know where to go or if its worth it. Wife (the real boss), has already given me the green light, so I might as well go for it.

I can travel next week, and am hoping that someone here has some tips if any of the glaciers are operating at the moment. I know that it will be mostly pisted runs this time of year, and the powder boards will be staying in the garage.

Any tips/helps will be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied at Stubai today, it's open, but limited. Pretty down to the glacial ice in most places, with added rocks. Still fun - but kinda type 2 fun - last minute ollies over meltwater channels and rocks, pointing it to the next patch of actual snow to slash a turn and scrub speed, etc. Still fun even with 118mm underfoot skis, but I wouldn't fly for it unless I really had nothing better to do.

Saying that, 20-30cms of new snow would be enough to make it worthwhile. Not sure what the weather is going to do though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lilledonmarco, Hintertux, Mölltal, Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun), Stubai, Zermatt, Saas Fee are all featuring in the reports for the World Cup racers. It is getting cold and wet again here which means snow on the glaciers again. Possibly Pitztal is open again as of next week too but I'm not too sure.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If its open I'd choose Hintertux its my favourite.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, I thought Pitztal was normally one of the later ones to open?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, I've seen some advertising for it but forgot to make a note of the dates. The forecast here is for snow and frosts overnight here later this week, so things are sure to be better higher up. It usually snows around this time of year but it is no indicator of what the winter will bring - equinoxal weather wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, ha too true! 5° on the Arlberg pass (what, 1700m?) and pouring down last night; I'm sure the glaciers will have had a nice top up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A little covering on Tignes Glacier last night Blush but it doesn't open until the 4th October Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all of your tips.

Looks like it will be Hintertux next week for me Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
some snow expected this week have a look on here http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow down to 1500m in my neck of the Bavarian Alps over the next couple of days and ground frosts as well. But dinna fash yersels,it will all be gone in the Golden Oktober which always follows this early cold snap! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, on a hiking break in Alpbachtal and decided to drive round to sample Hintertux glacier yesterday - attracted by the website claiming 20cm of new snow on Monday and fantastic cool, sunny weather. Must say pleasantly surprised both by extent of area available and the snow conditions. The Kaserer 1 drag was opened today and apart from some "glacial" bits toward the bottom was pretty good, quite hard throughout the day. The sunny Olperer slopes softened in the afternoon but still very enjoyable. Lots of race training going on - the Russians and Croation teams in evidence. 600m vertical and 24 km of slopes, a good day out!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Correction to the above info - Kitzsteinhorn is closed until the 3rd October and Pitztal is open but whether it is to the public I'm not so sure. The Austrian squads are up there training and I'm seeing some fabulous photos as a result!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has Stubai had a top up of snow?? Off there (& Tux) in five weeks and two days - not that I'm counting or champing at the bit!

In the meantime, made do with a slide at Xscape Castleford a couple of days ago - slope all but deserted early pm (9 users inc Mrs MA and me). Great fun as straight onto every poma with no waiting and 22 or 23 runs in an hour.....totalling about 550m vertical Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, Yes, some ankle dandruff being reported today but a lot can happen between now and then as you well know. Having just ordered my winter tyres I will be getting then changed sometime next week. I'm sorry to say that based on previous experience this usually results in us switching from the beginning of an ice age (hence the "wise" decision to be sensible) to bloody tropical late summer!
latest report
mountainaddict, looks like it, but I'm going up tomorrow to check anyway!
ski holidays
Quote:
a lot can happen between now and then as you well know. Having just ordered my winter tyres....this usually results in switching from an ice age to bloody tropical....
For what it's worth at this stage, here's the Accuweather long range forecast for Innsbruck:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/innsbruck/31197/october-weather/31197?monyr=10/1/2014

It's showing:

- Temperature up to 25C next week (All your fault Sammerberg Sue!) Shocked.
- It turning colder (10-12C) with rain from the second week of the month Smile .

I know it's all too early to forecast definitively but it's encouraging that some computer models are at least showing a cooler and wetter trend/outlook.

Let us know how you get on at the weekend clarky999!
ski holidays
mountainaddict, they are not on yet, so this time I'm definitely NOT to blame! But they will be going on the week after that wink You have been warned! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Solden is open with 3 runs.
snow report
scooby_simon, They have lots of lanes booked by racers as well as conserving the Ice Box for the races in less than 30 days. Sölden is always restricted in the build up to the season opener.
ski holidays
Saas-Fee's summer park is open for another month or so, I believe. Just came back last week from spending the summer there. I wouldn't, however, recommend spending any significant amount of time there though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy