Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considerations 4 year old with transmetatarsal amputation to 1 foot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I will if needed consult our Orthopaedic surgeon and would discuss with any instructor but am looking to get our girls started on ski lessons but due to a major infection a couple of years ago our 4 year old (nearly 5) has a shortened foot.

She uses custom insoles and pretty much wears Kickers boots as they stay on her foot. She swims, trampolines, rides a bike and a scooter and runs around like any other kid, is this likely to cause any issues in learning to ski?

I can't see that if she has boots that fit (the insoles would just swap in from other footwear) that she would face any issues above and beyond any other kid.

I can see that as she got older she may need to adapt her energy transmission to account but is there anything I may be missing at this stage?

Thanks for any advice guys

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oldmike, no idea, really, but she sounds a great kid and if she can ride a bike and scoot and do all those things she shouldn't have trouble skiing - given that ski boots are so rigid it might even be easier. Good luck. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oldmike, just on the boot issue:

I think she should be fine, I've seen more experienced colleagues build skiing footbeds for all manner of foot issues from ballerinas to a chap who'd had an accident with a lawn mower, and various ones with motorbikes.

I stress skiing insoles because they aren't built from the same materials or designed to do the same things as everyday or running ones. Have seen this a lot when people get out a floppy expensive insole and drop it in a ski boot to find it just rattles around or rolls from one side to the other. Put two side to side and you'll see lots of differences.

My second recommendation would be not to hire boots. I appreciate buying is expensive for children as they grow up, but kids boots are fairly cheap and on the flip-side no hire shop will have the time or knowledge to looks after her properly. Be a shame if she decided she didn't like skiing just because of that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oldmike, as with all other special boot questions, might be an idea to speak to Colin (CEM) at Solutions4Feet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oldmike, I believe there are kids boots available with adjustable sizing. http://www.roces-snow.com/en-us/idea/6in1agoodidea/sixsizesinone.aspx#.VB8vFfldUfg .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albinomountainbadger, cheers for the clarification I know her insoles are very different than the footbeds I use for skiing so thinking about it she may be ok straight in a ski boot. What with extra adjustment of ski boots and the spacer at the front of her insoles being more cosmetic she may well be ok.

May be an idea to see what boots are available at a local slope.

Leading from the boots issue, where are kids supposed to place pressure through their boots/skis from starting to ski onwards? I'm hoping that if she started in the back seat like a lot of kids seem to then she would be able to progress some before possibility of not pressuring the skis evenly?? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oldmike, she will be fine but the boots will needed to be sorted especially for her, find out what rental places are in the resort you are going to and send them an email asking if they think they will be able to help, alternatively (perhaps that should just be also) speak to CEM I'm sure he will be able to do something, this might be better as it's likely to take some time and getting something sorted before you go is a lot better than missing the first mornings lesson because of boot fitting.

I knew someone who lost all the toes on one foot to frostbite and who still went skiing but I'm pretty certain he had something special done with the boot
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My firm works with PACE for a lot of amputee client's. I know they can provide custom ski boots if needed although I've never had to ask about a partial amputation.

If you want a contact then PM me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldmike wrote:
Hi,

I will if needed consult our Orthopaedic surgeon and would discuss with any instructor but am looking to get our girls started on ski lessons but due to a major infection a couple of years ago our 4 year old (nearly 5) has a shortened foot.

She uses custom insoles and pretty much wears Kickers boots as they stay on her foot. She swims, trampolines, rides a bike and a scooter and runs around like any other kid, is this likely to cause any issues in learning to ski?

I can't see that if she has boots that fit (the insoles would just swap in from other footwear) that she would face any issues above and beyond any other kid.

I can see that as she got older she may need to adapt her energy transmission to account but is there anything I may be missing at this stage?

Thanks for any advice guys

Mike

Children will adapt remarkably, she'll just work out what's needed. The main issue will be comfort. If you sort that she'll be fine.

Looks like you have an offer of help. Come back to me if you dont get on.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Thanks Bertie and Jonathan,

I think that I'll start by popping in to the local dry slope Sidcup/Bromley where I have seen that they have previously had an adaptive teaching group and have an extended play with boots and see if anyone around who could discuss if they thought any sort or orthotic was required from a ski mechanics side of things.

Many thanks,

Oldmike
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oldmike, She will do great im sure. I always stand gob-smacked at how supposedly less able skiers (and indeed in other sports) adapt so brilliantly. It already sounds like shes coping just fine, and i'm sure she will be a brilliant little skier - lets be honest, give her a year or 2 and youll be the one needed to keep up!!

As Pam says, speak to Colin (CEM) on here - great guy and he knows his feet.

Jonathon being an Ortho Surgeon will be in a great place to advise too.

Good luck and have fun!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy