Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Some of the best pre-Christmas skiing in a decade" - Daily Telegraph

Poster: A snowHead
Peter Hardy sums up current snow conditions as "some of the best in a decade" in his ski column for the Daily Telegraph today. He sums up the scene across the Alps, Scandinavia and North America.

As he suggests, this relatively snowy early winter may be bucking a long-term trend that could shrink the ski season, so it's something to celebrate!

Here's the article.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from Colorado's amazing luck, I'd say it's a fairly normal start, certainly not "some of the best in a decade".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JohnHill wrote:
Apart from Colorado's amazing luck, I'd say it's a fairly normal start, certainly not "some of the best in a decade".

I find that extraordinary, it's been grass on many slopes the last few years, current conditions are excellent. The best round here for 10 or 20 years accoriding to local comment. Where are you skiing?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Certainly far better already than the past 4 yrs where I have 1st week in January. More is forcast towards the end of next week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I find that extraordinary

Not that extraordinary if you are in Val D'Isere, with only 39 cms at the TOP and a minority of pistes open, or the 3 Valleys - 35 at the top, few pistes open, NO blacks in Courchevel, liaison 3 Valleys closed. It's very patchy, as is so often the case.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, exactly, thanks Pam.

ise, I accept it is a goodish start but it is localised. You can normally bank on the Arlberg having much better cover than it does now for example.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val D'Isere and Tignes seem to be the exception. Nearly everywhere in the Alps has great snow for 10th December, and as far as I can see the 3 valleys is skiable from Val Thorens - Les Menuires - Meribel - Courchevel and vice versa.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnHill, You should read the Snow reports! We've certainly got the best early snow that i can remember (and I've been here 15 years). Almost everything open and powder all over. Only problem is the Prefecture who (for some wierd French foncionnaire reason) wouldn't let the lift company open as much as they wanted to last week!

Last several years we've only had the glacier and the cannoned runs until around Xmas or even later. Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnHill wrote:
pam w, exactly, thanks Pam.

ise, I accept it is a goodish start but it is localised. You can normally bank on the Arlberg having much better cover than it does now for example.

It's not localised at all, it's all the across the Alpes. You're just falling into the usual trap of thinking high altitude gives the best skiing early season. It's simply not true, the high stations need a lot of snow for runs to be skiable, at altitude that snow needs to start in October/November and it didn't. Round here the Jura and pre-alpes stations have excellent conditions, the best for a decade easily. It's just the same Austria accoriding to the people i speak to.

That the Telegraph's comment was pointless as it doesn't refer to the half a dozen ski stations the British public actually go to might be true but their observation was perfectly correct.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seems to be plenty of snow here in Les Arcs. Can't tell for certain how the skiing is as the lifts haven't opened yet, but there is more snow at resort level than there was in the previous couple of years.

Although Val and Tignes don't have perfect conditions at the moment, it's not that bad either on piste or off. I'm sure having a great time!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is it with Val d'Isere/Tignes???? I just don't get it at all. Lemmings spring to mind. Shock Shock
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, am I a Lemming?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

easiski, am I a Lemming?

Only if you really want to be Very Happy

The focus for the UK ski market seems to be on Val d'Isere/Tignes. No where else seems to register on the radar, which could be good news for those seeking out quieter venues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to Val at the start of Jan for my 3rd trip ever, never having been there before, but I'm starting to get a "Marmite" taste from other snowHead . Either love it or hate??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I find that extraordinary

Not that extraordinary if you are in Val D'Isere, with only 39 cms at the TOP and a minority of pistes open, or the 3 Valleys - 35 at the top, few pistes open, NO blacks in Courchevel, liaison 3 Valleys closed. It's very patchy, as is so often the case.

Sorry to disagree, but VT is quoting 80cm at the top and I have just skied VT-Courchevel with a surprising amount open and conditions very pleasant. Some of my pictures are here.
snow report
Chizz5056,

We're off to Val for the Christmas week. maybe my 10th trip but like you, first time in Val D. I'd also appreciate other skiers comments on what's good and bad aout the place.

BTW according to snow-forecast.com more snow should be on the way at the end of next week., but if most of the runs are still closed where else would be a good bet round there? (we are driving so could visit other resorts).
latest report
Alastair, Once again many thanks for terrific pics and for the effort taken to up;oad in the early hours. Its great to see such lovely conditions of where Family FTS will be going in 4 weeks. This weeks challenge is to take a photo of The Silver Ski Chalets at the edge of the Boyes piste in Reberty 2000. It would be helpful if you can blag your way into chalet Romeo and take some pics of the bedrooms so that I know the one to ask for Very Happy
ski holidays
Chizz5056 wrote:
I'm off to Val at the start of Jan for my 3rd trip ever, never having been there before, but I'm starting to get a "Marmite" taste from other snowHead . Either love it or hate??

It's remains one of the best ski stations in the world, the only problem is at peak times it's stuffed full of Brit' punters and gets nauseous. Start and end of the season are great and early Jan' should be OK as well.

Some of the accomodation leaves something to be desired as well in my experience.
ski holidays
Avoriaz is reporting 130cm top and bottom, which if true is a very nice base in early December Wink
snow conditions
I am interested inVal D'Isere principally because my son is working there for the season. I have only ever skied there for half a day, from Tignes (mid-December, far better snow than now, though the lowest slopes were patchy). It is not my kind of place - I prefer little resorts without too many Brits. I just hope rolling eyes that the guests he looks after in his first week (next week) are not so cross about the poor snow conditions that they take it out on the chalet staff! There's very little fresh snow forecast between now and the end of the week. My own resort however (Les Saisies, in the Espace Diamant) looks fantastic, with over a metre at resort level.
snow conditions
The Tignes ValT thing and the Brits is simply who is daft enough to pay the brochure prices, food prices and drink prices - that will be the Brits so we are the target market!
latest report
NorthWestFace, Laughing Laughing
What I think (I'll get shot down here) Val D
Pros

Lots of ski-ing avaliable
Proper run marking
fantastic uplift
large off piste area

Cons
Ludicrously expensive
full of rich, rude brits
Locals are not friendly
ski runs are rather boring and not varied (that is they are more or less steep, but mostly open)

Tignes
One of the most hideous places in the world
No atmosphere
Nothing to recommend it except the glacier!

wink wink Personal opinion of course. NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
I can't really see how Val D missed out on the snow, Flaine has 95cm at the top and 60cm in the resort and the surrounding resorts have 30cm at 1100m. The fact that not much is open will be due to lift compaies knowing how many people are around and how much it will cost to run a decent service (lifts and electricity).
ski holidays
Alastair, great pic, couldn't work out why the pic of the inside of the gondola then realised that it's the new one (congratulations for one of the first rides!). Frosty the Snowman, I stopped at one of the Ski Olympic chalets at Reberty 2000 last March. All the chalets their are very similar, make sure you get a decent sized room as some a v.v.small! However the overall quality of the chalet we were in was excellent.
ski holidays
It is okay here although the snow is developing a sun crust

NWF - the weather can vary from one valley to another. Val d'Isère can pick up great early season snow from Italy which no-one else, even Tignes, sees and it often misses out on weather systems tracking down across France from depressions over the UK, the Chablais where you are is much better placed to pick up this snow and Mont-Blanc has a big effect on the weather up your way. One thing is for sure, the Savoie and Haute-Tarentaise are drying out, 30% less precipitation since 1970. In terms of snowfall Val d'Isère has to make do with 6m in a typical winter whereas it would have received 10 (yes I know that is not 30% but I assume it is even dryer in the winter).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 11-12-05 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
easiski wrote:

Tignes
No atmosphere

Come come, it's only 3400 meters at the top of the Grande Motte, no atmosphere is a bit overstated.
snow conditions
Not so bad up at Val d'Isère today with rob@rar and hannou, gusting wind scraping off snow from exposed slopes but good conditions in the main on open slopes, really 'comfortable' skiing for early December in temperatures well below zero, really grippy snow. Great fun, very few queues as yet, the only one we came across we were with an ESF instructor so nipped through quickly. Excellent riding the eggs above the Criterium combined downhill today, a bird's eye view of most of the course. Fantastic day, great skiing, though it's a little galling to be following a 7 and 9 year old whipping through the trees and seeking out the jumps, whilst realising I can no longer quite aspire to that level Confused

In passing, a plug. The ESF regularly get slated, but for people with some French, if ever you end up in the southern French Alps in the resort of Les Orres, ask for 'Stéphane GIBERT'. Great skier, real enthusiasm in his teaching, a good technician and fun. The sort of instructor that makes a lesson really enjoyable, while getting at the root of any problems you may have without overcomplications...
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
I can't really see how Val D missed out on the snow, Flaine has 95cm at the top and 60cm in the resort and the surrounding resorts have 30cm at 1100m. The fact that not much is open will be due to lift compaies knowing how many people are around and how much it will cost to run a decent service (lifts and electricity).

Well it did miss out, to an extent. Flaine isn't exactly next door. My skis are testament to this, having encountered not a few rocks on some of the open slopes today. The lower resorts are better off at the moment, and the middle of the Tarentaise Valley seems to have seen the better snow, so far, Les Arcs for example. Which, stupidly, isn't open, imo because of lift company 'economic priorities'.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget Austria. Admittedly it's our first season, but even the locals say we've got excellent early snowfall. 70 cms in the village and 150 at the top of the cable car.
Deb (currently enjoying the high pressure to get jobs done without huge dumps of snow!!!)
snow conditions
The Channel 4 presenter (covering Saturday's racing) made a big display of praising the conditions at Val D over the weekend. Only last week I was reading a thread on snowHead (can't find it now) about the lack of snow generally across Val D due to cannons being moved to concentrate their firepower on the race course. No such thing as a free lunch, I guess! Shocked
latest report
Red Leon, Nick Fellows. BASI Trainer and ex British Slalom champion and Team member.
ski holidays
''Snow-wise this is the best start for the season for years. Not only has the temperature been low for the last month, allowing the snow canons to produce vast piles of cultured snow, but the past couple of weeks have been exceptionally snowy. The resort is totally snow-covered and the pistes are in fantastic condition.Skiing the Courchevel bowl this weekend I found the best snow I’ve ever skied there'' for merinet.com.First hand experience tells us here that the early conditions in the 3valleys are the best for years, a vast improvement on last year. The base is now there another good few dumps will soon cover up the stones and rocks. very encouraging signs definately something we shouldn't be moaning about.Fingers crossed for the snow to reach down to france in the next week.
snow conditions
I can't wait. I'm off to les Menuires on the 24th snowHead

Many thanks to you guys for the snow reports, sounds very positive Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy