Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
The first real snow of the year has fallen up on Asahidake.

Still a long way to go before the winter starts, but exciting to see an early snowfall.

This'll be my last winter in Hokkaido for a while, so I'll be skiing hard and making the most of it. Hopefully will meet some of the other Snowheads who are heading out here this year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-09-14 3:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gambate! Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope to finally meet up this winter MagSeven.

Looking to live near Kiroro this season spending more time skiing there and the resorts around Otaru and Sapporo Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-09-14 13:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More pics

http://360niseko.com/blog/first-snowfall-for-the-2014-15-season-hits-hokkaido/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyst, thanks, I will!

Mike Pow, definitely! It's long overdue. Where are you looking at basing yourself?

Another photo, this one is looking over at Daisetsuzan this afternoon from Asahikawa area.

More snow in that area at the moment, and probably tomorrow too. Not that it'll stick around long, but it's exciting to see. I'm still hoping for a few more summery weekends! Only yesterday, on the other side of the Daisetsuzan National Park less than 40km from Asahidake's summit, we were doing this!

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool.

House between Akaigawa and Kiroro. 10 min drive to the lifts Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, beautiful area! How far to your nearest combini?!

First snow on Yotei today apparently. Very early for that to happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha ha

Seicomart in Akaigawa.

Yeah saw that. At least 2 weeks earlier than normal for Yotei.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hatsuyuki - first snow - on Mt Youtei in the Niseko Resort Area

Not much, but it's a start Smile

http://360niseko.com/blog/first-snowfall-in-niseko-for-the-2014-15-season/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, we are looking at heading out to Hokkaido 5th to 14th March, much later than we want to go but only time all our group can make it. Obviously weather is in lap of gods but is that too late in your view to stand a good chance of getting lots of cold smoke days? snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
Mike Pow, we are looking at heading out to Hokkaido 5th to 14th March, much later than we want to go but only time all our group can make it. Obviously weather is in lap of gods but is that too late in your view to stand a good chance of getting lots of cold smoke days? snowHead

Not in my experience.

That timeframe last winter.

March 2014
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104830&start=200

Will add snowfall stats tomorrow.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 22-09-14 12:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Historical Snowfall Records for the Niseko Resort Area between 05-14 March, recorded at 300 m asl

2007 - 140 cm (11 snow events)
2008 - 11 cm (2 snow events)
2009 - 63 cm (7 snow events)
2010 - 63 cm (5 snow events)
2011 - 102 cm (7 snow events)
2012 - 12 cm (4 snow events)
2013 - 119 cm (9 snow events)
2014 - 123 cm (10 snow events)

March 2013
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93446&start=240

And even in the "dry" years there was still powder to be had Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, That'll do nicely! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was out in the Akan National Park today and saw snow on top of some of the taller Daisetsuzan mountains. Nothing too exciting yet, but everywhere is looking beautiful and autumnal.

Oh, and our season passes were waiting in the letter box when we got home!

The stoke is slowly building....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YAHOOOO!

How much did you pay for your K-Pass?

Which type?

Has the offer finished please?
ski holidays
Mike Pow, we got the standard K Pass. We paid for it last season, before the April 1st national tax increase so paid last years price - 66,500円. (That's with a 5% 'Repeater' discount. And we also got 10,000円 of food tickets.)

The early bird prices for this year are still available until November 11. So for the standard pass you'd pay 72,000円. BUT, if you gave my pass number (or anyone else with a pass from last year and this year) as a reference, you'd get a 5% discount, so would pay 68,400円. (To be open, I would receive a 1,000円 food ticket for introducing you)

Personally I don't see the benefits of the Gold and Platinum passes to be worth the extra cost. (Priority parking is occasionally useful, but I have a car-less Gold Pass holding mate, so I get his parking pass!)
snow report
Super. Thanks.

Will let you know if I get one.
ski holidays
Heading out there again.. this time for two months. Length seems to double each year snowHead
ski holidays
Nice one Timmaah! Give us a shout if you're heading up Sapporo / Asahikawa way!

Getting colder all the time here. Needed gloves cycling to work this morning! There should definitely be more snow falling in the hills this week.
ski holidays
Heading out to Hokkaido for 10 days skiing in various resorts, first time skiing in Japan and cannot wait. Currently on lesson 3 out of 10 of Japanese for beginners at College - keep the pictures coming, it's great incentive!
latest report
magicrichard, top tip - if you're learning some Japanese just for your trip, as well as the usual please and thank you etc, try to focus on katakana. If you can read it, you'll be able to understand a hell of a lot of useful travel/food/skiing related words. (Katakana is the way of writing English or other foreign words, adjusted for Japanese pronunciation)

You'll be able to read a lot of menus, signs etc and it will certainly impress people that you're able to make sense of the pronunciation. Good luck! It's a baffling language, but very satisfying to even make small steps!

I'll keep posting the photos as the snow arrives!
snow report
Looks like I will be heading up for the first two weeks in Feb with a group of friends from Queenstown. Should be confirmed next weel.. I will get excited then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
MagSeven, definitely! Am tempted to experience Asahikawa and will definitely get to Sapporo Teine this time round so will give you a shout.
snow report
We've had a 'super typhoon' heading up from the south, smashing Okinawa and Southern Japan. But that gave us up north some beautiful clear skies over the weekend. The mountains in Central Hokkaido have got a decent covering of snow. The autumn colours are looking stunning too.

Asahidake

ski holidays
Tremendous.
snow conditions
I remember some chat last season about Kiroro possibly changing how they dealt with out of bounds skiing, was wondering if anyone had heard if anything had changed on that front?
snow report
Timmaah, what is their official policy?

When I was there last season, and when The Lad was there several times last season I don't think they were bothered at all.

I'm not talking about backcountry, but certainlywell away from the pistes and both in and and out of sight of pistes
latest report
I think with many ski hills here, the official policy is don't ski out of bounds, but in practice everyone does it and the resort is ok with that. Some are known for being stricter than others (Furano for example) but as far as I'm aware, Kiroro is ok with off piste skiing. Maybe they're adapting their policy to 'officially' allow it in places? Mike Pow will no doubt be able to offer more insight...?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit more snow over the last couple of days, more widespread across the island and to lower altitudes. This is Ashibetsu-dake in Central Hokkaido, south west of Furano, about 1,700m.

snow report
It's coming Smile
snow report
rungsp, their policy before was it's at your own risk. Which is why I absolutely love Kiroro.. easily my favourite resort in the area. But I remember Mike Pow, mentioning last year they may introduce a Niseko-gate style system which would ruin it in my selfish opinion.

As MagSeven, said.. most resorts officially don't allow it but have lightened up in recent years. When I went to Furano I was ducking ropes in front of the lifties/patrol with no issue at all. Furano was amazing.. Alpine steep with bottomless pow..
ski holidays
Hiked up Teine today in beautiful weather. The visibility was great, so we could see the snow on mountain tops out in the distance, from Daisetsuzan in the north east round to the east to the Hidaka mountains and Yotei to the south west.

The peak of Yotei, not a whole load of snow up there yet

Looking north east over the city towards Daisetsuzan

Asahidake, bit blurry as the camera was at full zoom

Birds eye view of the old Teine cable car and the city beyond

The forecast looks decent for next week, hopefully cooler weather will be moving in and we should get more snow. 5/6 weeks till the ski areas start to open!
snow conditions
MagSeven, thanks for the tip. I'm doing an evening course at a local college and they are focusing on hirigana at the moment, but I'll make it a mission to learn some katakana too. As you say - baffling but satisfying!

Happy to say we'll be going to Kiroro for at least one day on our trip Smile

Great pics.
snow conditions
We got the cooler weather this week, but not much snow. It was below freezing overnight down to sea level on Wednesday and Thursday. Niseko got a dusting, but nowhere really got any significant snow.

I was up in Asahikawa today and went for a hike up Sandanyama in the Tokachidake group. Not huge amounts of snow up there yet, but it was nice to get up to the snow line and into an alpine environment.

Looking north east up the Daisetsuzan range from the Biei access road

Tokachi-dake

Kamihorokametokku-yama emerging from the clouds

Snow is forecast for Tuesday next week....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 26-10-14 8:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Fabulous.

New camera? New software?
ski holidays
Thanks Mike. Same camera, but have been using Snapseed to give the photos a boost.
ski holidays
Looking great.
latest report
Hatsu Yuki (first snowfall) in Hirafu Village, Niseko Smile

http://360niseko.com/blog/first-snow-in-hirafu-village-for-the-2014-15-season/
snow report
Yep, snow down to town level in many places this morning as expected. Didn't quite get to us, but the hills around have got a nice dusting.

Dark clouds are looming though as I type, so we may get a little snow shower this morning....

EDIT: Yep, about 20 minutes after writing this post, am editing to say that it is indeed snowing here at an altitude of approximately 40m above sea level.
snow report
Just a question for you guys. I was wondering what sort of temperatures to expect in Niseko and Furano in February.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy