Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Geneva to Val d'Isere......

Poster: A snowHead
Having booked a hire car for collection from Geneva airport I have been on various Auto Route type websites and applications to find the best driving route.

www.viaMichelin.com comes up with the following route:
Geneva -> Annecy -> left at Moutiers -> past Bourg St.Maurice -> Val d'Isere

whereas Microsft Auto Route / Mappoint has the following route:
Geneva -> Bonneville -> Chamonix - > Mont Blanc Tunnel -> Aosta Valley -> Little St. Bernard Pass -> Val d'Isere

Two different routes. Has anyone any suggestions or input as to which is the better route?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chizz5056, I'm sure that someone who knows that area better will be able to confirm this or correct me, but I don't think the Little St. Bernard Pass is open in the winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair wrote:
Chizz5056, I'm sure that someone who knows that area better will be able to confirm this or correct me, but I don't think the Little St. Bernard Pass is open in the winter.

You are wrong there Alastair it is open - as a blue piste. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, So a Ford Mondeo with Snow Chains will do fine then??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As someone who took directions from Microsoft Autoroute last year I can assure you that the St Bernard Pass is most definately Ferme!!! Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Even if the pass was open, how much is a return trip through the Mt Blanc tunnel? Seems a fiarly expensive option to shave a few miles of a journey.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is another route that the independent chalet owners use to get away from the throb of the motorways on change over days with buses and cars all jostling for postions.... rolling eyes .......perhaps ask david traksvacs to tell you their secret way. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You are wrong there Alastair it is open - as a blue piste.

2 wrongs dont make a right. I think its mainly a red piste Very Happy wink . The best route IMHO would be Geneva, Valmorel, La Plagne, Les Arcs, La Rosiere, and then up to Val D'Ispair. Get some nice resorts in first.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go via St Julien, route departmentale to Annecy. 2hrs15 on Thursday night vs 3hrs 15 for the mate who went autoroute all to Annecy. Defo worth it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, Mange tout, mange tout, Champs-Elysees!! As you can guess my French is a little sketchy. Route departmentale?
At a guess I take it you mean St. Julien-et-Genevois, then "cross-country" or B road it directly South and jump on the motorway near Annecy?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm doing this journey next Thursday and need all the help I can get on routes. (b4 my wife starts looking through a map book!) I'm hoping that a 10am arrival in Geneva means the traffic will be OK and I'll do it daylight. on a completely related topic how easy are snow chains to fit?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martyngb, Snow chains can be a pain to fit depending on what type you have. The most important thing is if you are taking your own car make sure you practice before you go. If you are hiring make sure you check that you have the correct size chains for the car you are hiring and that all the bits you need are in the box, again if you have time might be worth having a practice, if you have never done it before, as putting them on for the first time on the side of the road in a blizzard is not pleasant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chizz5056, you will definitely not being going over the Col de Petit St Bernard, it's been closed for weeks and usually doesn't re-open until early June. The best route is via N roads to Annecy, then N roads to Alberville, then the N90, should take you about 3 hrs, we drive that route every week on transfers from La Rosiere to Geneva airport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chizz5056, yeah. Follow "France" onto the motorway (Chamonix, Lyons, etc.) then "Annecy" in a green background. Continue follwing Annecy, tilll you get there, then follow "Le Lac", then ,err, I forget. Probbaly "Tarentaise", I think. Yeah, Tarentaise sounds about right.

Sorry to be so crap, but I'm usually the one driving rather than thinking about directions. http://www.viamichelin.com is usually good...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How about this route I fine tuned on Autoroute, setting the preffered roads to Major, switching Motorways off in the process.

Think it is using a "D" road from Annecy to Albertville rather than an "N" road. What's the difference between D & N?
Would it be better to use an "N" road to either the East or West of Lake Annecy?

latest report
I've only done the Geneva-Annecy part of the route via Cruseilles twice, and on both occasions the traffic was very congested. It would have been quicker for me to stay on the autoroutes (A40, then A41) to Annecy.
ski holidays
I have travelled between Genava and Moutiers many times on holiday company transfers and a few times by car. I do not think we have ever gone to the east of Lake Annecy. Our route has always been into Annecy, along the western side of the lake, then rejoin your route just SE of Faverges.
snow conditions
Chizz5056, I've always done as Adrian, and taken the West side of Lac d'Annecy. Otherwise I think you've got the right route. The alternative is a big detour.
latest report
T.O. coaches use the first part of that route to Annecy then down the west of the lake - which is a very pretty drive. I think they do it that way only to avoid peage tolls as there can be slow moving traffic near that suspension bridge over the gorge north of Annecy. Getting through Albertville can be a pain. The N90 from Moutiers to BSM can also have traffic jams on changeover days.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 14-12-05 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kuwait_ian, I'd avoid the whole area on transfer days!
snow report
David Murdoch, true - I did it mid week last year. Flying into Chambery. Much much easier. Couple of times on a Saturday morning the T.O. coach hasn't even been able to get down the hilll from La Plagne before it hit a jam !!!! Not funny. We were 5 hours late getting to Geneva but fortunately Sleazy Jet had seats for all of us.
snow report
A note for the future, found these words on http://www.valdinet.com
http://www.valdinet.com wrote:
5-Jun-2005 : Annecy – Geneva motorway gets the go-ahead
The unfinished A41 toll road from Annecy to Geneva, linking the Tarentaise ski resorts with Geneva Airport, is finally to be completed. The 19km stretch from Cruseilles to St-Julien-en-Genevois is due to be opened within three years after a seven year delay. The new section will reduce journey time from Geneva to Annecy to 20 minutes, and will bypass the notorious site of traffic congestion at Cruseilles. Road safety should also improve: the current route via the RN 201 has been the scene of 40 fatal accidents in the past seven years. Total cost of the new toll road section, according to company ‘Bouygues Construction’, will be 850 million Euros.
I tried to find some more details but my French is not good enough.
latest report
Chizz5056, West side of Lake Annecy. What time are you going ? and on what day ?
ski holidays
martyngb,
Quote:

on a completely related topic how easy are snow chains to fit?

Take a torch (pref a headtorch), and gloves. Pack them with the snowchains....
ski holidays
ski wrote:
Chizz5056, West side of Lake Annecy. What time are you going ? and on what day ?

Should hopefully, all things on track, be leaving Geneva at about 18:00 hours on Sat 7th Jan. It will be dark so I am a tad disappointed that I can't catch the scenery around Lake Annecy and beyond............

[url=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/aidan.chisholm/Cointrin%20Airport%20to%20Val-d'Is%E8re.htm]Full Route with Directions[/url]

Lake Annecy looking NW
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy