Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower back pain

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.A couple of months ago i strained my back while weight training,i seemed to have recovered from it ,but find now if i walk uphill for some distance i get lower back ache.Been to the docs,he gave me some exercises to do but havnt much worked.Now is the time i want to start getting fit for the coming ski/climbing season,but am hindered with this.Seen lots of info on internet,but cant find any ski related back strengthening exercises.Help/advise please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nordwand, it will depend on where the pain is coming form and what is causing it. first thing is go and see a good sports physio, it is most likely coming from an imbalance in your pelvis as most of the lower back muscles connect at some point to that area, there are not a lot of SKI specific exercises for that area but all good core stability strengthening and stretching will help... lots of squats , bridge, clam, work on a swiss ball, wobble board etc etc but go get it checked out first, fror the sake of a few £ at the physio you will get some targeted help rather than just guessing what might be wrong
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for physio. Personal preference, but I'd avoid chiropractors, osteopaths, Bowen practitioners and other loonies.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+3 for physio
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not all the alternatives are loonies, fascial release is becoming one of the hot subjects right now, it is the one thing that seems to have an effect on really tight areas as it controls everything in terms of the fascia being like a cling film wrap which contains the muscles tendons bones etc etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would get it checked out by a physio too. Then I suspect the solution is that you need to strengthen your core.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
not all the alternatives are loonies, fascial release is becoming one of the hot subjects right now, it is the one thing that seems to have an effect on really tight areas as it controls everything in terms of the fascia being like a cling film wrap which contains the muscles tendons bones etc etc

I was under the impression fascial release is part of the physio technique (my physio does that a lot). Is it not yet an accepted practice? If so, I need to re-think about the effectiveness of my physio...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks a lot for your advice,id have thought my doctor would have suggested that but didnt.Just hope i can get right in the next four to six weeks.Theres a sports physio connected to the university that i can go and see.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nordwand wrote:
Thanks a lot for your advice,id have thought my doctor would have suggested that but didnt.Just hope i can get right in the next four to six weeks.Theres a sports physio connected to the university that i can go and see.

That's where I'd start. Also if you can try to keep your general cv training going even if it means switching to swimming, walking , bike instead of running.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:

Fascias release is a technique that can form part of a rehab program. It provides some symptomatic relief. On its own rarely a cure, just ask any runner with ITB syndrome if a foam roller cures their condition.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="Jonathan Bell just ask any runner with ITB syndrome if a foam roller cures their condition.

Jonathan Bell[/quote]
I didn't know there's a cure for ITB syndrome. Sad

My doctor sent me to physio, whom promptly recommended foam roller, and a bunch of other exercises. As far as I can tell, I still have the underlying issue. But the foam roller relief the symptons enough I can continue to do what I wish to do without pain. But I can bring the sympton back on with specific movement in no time. It's just those were movements I don't really need to do (like walking downhill carrying heavy packs)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After many years of problems and many consultants, physios etc I would say that 'who' you see physio/osteopath wise needs to be good at their job. Either in theory should know what they are doing but it took a good osteopath to provide the best help for me. Not a complete cure, I still looking for that lol, but at least much relief!

Interestingly my medical student son says that med students are now taught to respect the work of osteopaths, that they have a part in main stream medicine, and get told off if they refer to them in any derogatory way!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The solutions are as individual as the problem, so skilled assessment is important.

I've found 3 things particularly helpful for my own back pain this year

2 sessions of acupuncture - each gave immediate, major & lasting relief. I know from past experience that I respond really strongly to this, though not everybody does. This was with a doctor, registered with BMAS (British Medical Acupuncture Society).

Several sessions with a chiropractor - again, immediate and major relief with the first 2 treatments, and then a little more each time. Good advice on stretches too. Actually, there was a first session with another chiropractor that did nothing, so find your practitioner as CaravanSkier says

A 'Rumble Roller' foam roller. Effective, but absolutely and exquisitely agonising to use. Folk are scared of acupuncture needles, but this is so much worse!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A combination of a good sports physio and regular Pilates keeps me more or less on the straight and narrow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pilates has been good for me.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
[quote="Jonathan Bell just ask any runner with ITB syndrome if a foam roller cures their condition.

Jonathan Bell

I didn't know there's a cure for ITB syndrome. Sad

My doctor sent me to physio, whom promptly recommended foam roller, and a bunch of other exercises. As far as I can tell, I still have the underlying issue. But the foam roller relief the symptons enough I can continue to do what I wish to do without pain. But I can bring the sympton back on with specific movement in no time. It's just those were movements I don't really need to do (like walking downhill carrying heavy packs)[/quote]

I think there is a cure. If you have had ITB syndrome that has failed to respond to physiotherapy, work on running style and injection then there is a minor operation that i do that is very effective.

The fact that some ask for the other side to be done suggests that it does work!

Have you done all the non op work?

Jonathan Bell
latest report
[quote="foxtrotzulu"]+1 for physio. Personal preference, but I'd avoid chiropractors, osteopaths, Bowen practitioners and other loonies.[/quote]
About 99% of good physios fit into loonies category based on your ranking Wink
ski holidays
Did anyone else drop the S from "fascial relief". Piqued my interest for a minute.

I've been flat in my back for 2 days now with my back. I surfed for 7 hours, felt great, went home had tea, sat on the sofa with the o/h feeling good if a bit stiff, tried to stand up and just folded. My back is fine lying down, and standing if bent over, but if I try and stand up straight it feels like I can't put any weight on my pelvis. My previous physio gave me some exercises which seem to hold this issue off, but not to 'reset' things when it does go.
snow conditions
I have some experience in this area - after first in 2007 suffering 2 slipped discs (and the "fun" scatic (sp) nerve issues that followed), and now, in June I had 3 discs slip, as well as some smaller cartilage around one of them. I was offered to get it operated on, but I decided against that. I am 38, and in good shape - biking, skiing 35+ days a season, and usually under a squat rack 2-3 times a week.

I did the chiro thing for around 4 weeks, but I didn't really get all that much out of it. Then, I found a local physio, and she is great. Turns out, that my core was basically shot, and I need to keep that strong in order to not go through the agony again. As for her credentials, she used to be the physio for the Norwegian alpine team, so she knows her stuff.

The program she has me on now is basically 4 x week redcord training, as well as weights. On my "off" days, its a hard walk/run uphill in the woods around where I live on uneven terrain. When I first heard that she wanted me on the redcord training program, I thought, "well, this couldn't be that hard"....boy, was I wrong. That stuff hurts - bad. But, after 5 weeks of being on her program, the back pain is basically gone and my core is slowly getting strong.

I would suggest that once you can get back into the gym, really start doing core work. Search for redcord programs on youtube and incorporate them. But, like I said earlier, if you haven't tried the redcord before, you are in for some interesting cramps Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy